New guy, 1st post.....

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been on this board everyday for 7 years. Why I havn't gotten a Viper is beyond me but I'm ready to make the switch. I'm on my seventh corvette. It's an 04 Z with about 30k worth of mods. I love the car, but my buddy just picked up an 03 srt and I love the roof off and the torque. As soon as I buy the car it will be going in for all the bolt ons, Quaiff diff, 19/20" Iforged areos, and probably the Motons. My question is this. I have slammed all my corvettes. Usually between 3-4". My set up is the Rippe coil overs with shortened shock bodies for increased travel. I have yet to see a slammed Srt. Could I order the Motons with a shorter shock body and Hyperco springs and accomplish this? It's a weekend car and I know suspension geometry will not be right but this is a must for me. My Z's cornering is unbelievable and I want to duplicate this for the Vipe. I've used the search button but could not find and info. My car is on Iforged website so you can see how low I like it. I'll be parting the Z out in 2 months and be in the Vipe by the end of December. I look forward to being a member and making the switch after the 7 vettes!

Thanks,
Mike :2tu:

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont. I guess I'm a poser. I've bought the most expensive pieces available and the car has never seen the track. I would love to go but usually work 6 days a week. I did race my buddy at the drag strip and the 600lb coil vers didn;t like the launch. I would love to track the SRT. Thats part of the reason I think I've never owned a Vipe. I've been afraid of crashing on the street. I guess its time to learn how to drive now! :usa:

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
not certain just how much you want to slam it but I have an '05SRT with the motons and when lowered to track configuration, the car is so low it scrapes on even minor speed bumps so I think thats probably as far as you want to go.

I have about 1.5 fingers between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender so my advice is to go with the motons (which are hieght adjustable).

cheers -

j

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee you are only starting with 5 inches. Lower by 4 and you cannot drive.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jay. I am basically looking for about a one finger gap. I want the car sitting on top of the tires. Would I have to do anything special to the Motons like get shorter springs or shock bodies? I want to try and leave as much travel as possible. How many inches can you go down with the Motons? Any pics of your car? Thanks for the response.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jay. I am basically looking for about a one finger gap. I want the car sitting on top of the tires. Would I have to do anything special to the Motons like get shorter springs or shock bodies? I want to try and leave as much travel as possible. How many inches can you go down with the Motons? Any pics of your car? Thanks for the response.

My buddy has the Moton Clubsports on his SRT and its LOW. He has NO problems with rubbing.

5580IMG_0667.jpg

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's exactly what I want. Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like the motons are the way to go. Are those 19/20's? Thanks again. :headbang:

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,
That's exactly right. I've been to willow springs once to watch the superbike races. My biggest problem was having no one to go with, and not knowing anything about being on a track. I know some of the southern CA guys go to the track. I will be hooking up with them hopefully. I really want to learn how to drive this thing. It doesn't have all the electronics of the Z, and even though I know how to drive the Vette good on the streets, I don't want to be another new Viper owner that wrecks the car in the first 3 months! :2tu:

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck,
That's exactly right. I've been to willow springs once to watch the superbike races. My biggest problem was having no one to go with, and not knowing anything about being on a track. I know some of the southern CA guys go to the track. I will be hooking up with them hopefully. I really want to learn how to drive this thing. It doesn't have all the electronics of the Z, and even though I know how to drive the Vette good on the streets, I don't want to be another new Viper owner that wrecks the car in the first 3 months! :2tu:

November 5th and 6th a few of us are planning on going to Willowsprings bigtrack. It's with the Pantera & Ferrari clubs. Only $225 for the weekend.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

That fear will give you a healthy respect for the power, which will keep you safe. It's the idiots that think they are Superman because they have 500 ponies under them that end up wrapping it around a telephone pole. Enjoy your Z06 while you still can... then get ready for some REAL fun! :2tu:

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should try out Buttonwillow. It is a very forgiving track as it only has one wall on the front straight to crash into. The rest of the track, about 90% of it, has dirt runoff so in case you go off track all you have to do is get a car wash.

It is a blast and Vipers and Vettes can get up to 135-140 on the back straight.

SamC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My recommendation... If you have the car now, drive up to Pahrump Nevada this weekend for Viperdays. Have John Archer install the lowering springs and Moton shocks. Rent a hard top from Skip and learn how to drive the car well at speed on the track. If you don't have the car yet, do the same at Button Wilow in February.

I had my 2000 GTS on the track within 4 weeks of buying it and now race a Comp Coupe in the VRL. If I can do it, anyone can.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't have the car for another 1-2 months. Closing on another house right now and parting out the Vette in a couple of weeks. Definatley will have the car by button willow. Can't wait!!! :headbang:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey zo6vette,

Shoot me an email. I'm in OC too. I'll be at Spring Mountain at Viper days this weekend, back next weekend. I'll try to get you pointed in the right direction.

We will probably do the car show at Crystal Cove Saturday, Oct 1. I'll see if I can get Greg Baxter to the show with me. We both track our cars when we can.

The San Diego Viper group does some tracking too and I can get you in touch with them.

Dan