New guy here selling Turbo Porsche to find.... Viper GTS

Gregnice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been nosing around here for several months doing so research.
Bottom line is, I am looking to buy a 97 GTS... And soon...

I currently drive a 650HP Porsche, which is amazing, but I want American Muscle.

Any advice? I've been digging in the archives, but would love some feedback.
Wondering about how robust the cars are?
What are maintenance costs like? (besides tires) :)

Thanks,

Greg

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is really a lot of info if you search for it. I have put 22,000 (64,000 total)on my GTS since I got it two years ago. The maintenance IMO isn't any worse than any 96 would be.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do modifications qualify as maintenance costs??? In that case, yes it's expensive to own!

Actually, outside of needing a fuel pump and a timing chain gasket and cover it's been pretty smooth on my '96. There is a bit of a 'Viper tax' on parts, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than my wife's M.B. to maintain.

Cheers!

iowaviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a friend who owns a 96 GTS never raced 10,000 miles, perfect car. His name is Danny and number is 319-389-8807 cell phone it's in Cedar rapids Iowa.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gregnice.... What was your experience with the Porsche after all the mods ..... Reliable? I have heard they are very difficult to launch. Is there any tips you can lay down on the Viper owners if we race a heavily moded Porsche.

I have a neighbor that has a Porsche that has many mods(he is a very nice guy VP of Chris Craft Marine).He has 2 Porsches, 1 with a couple of mods, the other is heavily moded. First time I meet him, I tried to get him to run....he would not. I found out later he was in the slower one that is why he would not run. Although I am sure I have him covered, Although I would like to know his strong points and his weakness.

Cudaman :usa:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice choice with both cars. Maintenance is pretty good on the Viper. You do not need much, just brakes, tires, air filters, and other minor things. I just replaced my brakes at 16,000 miles and it was $1200 and tires are around $1000 if you did not get them at the fallout price last year.

Hope this helps

Keith

OP
OP
G

Gregnice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the enthusiastic responses!
My car is a hybrid one of a kind car.

It started life as a regular 1990 Carrera 4 with a 3.6 liter 250HP motor.
The car was sent to Protosport in New Jersey, and $50K was dumbed into it by the previous owner.
The engine block on that car is the same from the turbo 3.6, the 993 turbo, and the GT1! Needless to say it is tough. The drivetrain was inspired by the 959 so it is tough too.
They rebuilt the motor with Carrillo Connecting Rods, Flame Ringed her, added dual MSDs, Dual Fuel Pumps, Twin Plugged her, two Garret Ballbearing turbo's and a massive intercooler to keep her cold!
So the result is a low key sleeper...

The gearing is such that off the line, she isn't as quick cause first gear is over in 1 mississipi without Viper-esque wheel spin. But once in third gear, it's tough to keep up. At 1 bar of boost, I put about 10 car lengths on a Ferrari 360 Modena simply in 4th gear! The car can handle 1.2 bar which equates into high 600s.
Here is a link with a pic...
This is the perfect car for the guy who wants a SLEEPER...

http://www.roadfly.org/porsche/classifieds/cars/detview.php?prevnextbuttons=allf&view=24550