New Guy Needs Some Advice

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in Highland Mills, right by woodbury commons. You said there is soft top damage, what kind of damage? And what did you see on the rotors to believe you need new ones? A little road rash on the rims isn't that bad if you don't care. I have it on mine too. I bought it that way with intentions of new rims.

The damage on the soft top is hard to explain, it can probably be fixed. The guy got frustrated when he was trying to put it on one time and tried to force it and it cracked. The rotors have a good sized lip on them, they either need top be ground or replaced. I just sent you a pm.

cudavip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pass, on this car there are a lot of other cars out there without questions.
If I were in your position I still would'nt buy a rebuilt unless I knew who done the work personally, I would save a little longer for the right car or if I had to buy now I'd find a newer car with no stories and get a loan for the difference.
Imo, you will have a hard time reselling that car.
Forego the car now and buy a house in two years take an equity loan and buy a viper with no questions surrounding it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pass, on this car there are a lot of other cars out there without questions.
If I were in your position I still would'nt buy a rebuilt unless I knew who done the work personally, I would save a little longer for the right car or if I had to buy now I'd find a newer car with no stories and get a loan for the difference.
Imo, you will have a hard time reselling that car.

Its not a rebuilt(salvage). The title is clear, it was just a repair. Its not a salvage title, I wouldnt consider it if it was a salvage. I cant extend my budget anymore, 29,000 to 30,000 is more than i wanted to spend on a toy in the first place, thats why its this car or im back to the z06 corvettes. I dont really want to wait around for a deal because im probably not going to be able to find one with my luck. If someone shows me another 99 rt10 for 30 ill buy it, its just not gonna happen.

cudavip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did'nt mean rebuilt as in salvage title I mean as in rebuilt body/frame etc...keep in mind when one of these cars go off road/track it is very easy to do some major damage underneath either to the suspention or to the frame works. Just a little tweak could be the difference between going straight at 100+ or going into the bushes as he states.
Your 24 nows the time to invest you worked hard for your money now get it working for you, buy some real estate now buy the toy in a couple years (the viper will still be there) when your in a much better financial position.
G.L.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not a rebuilt(salvage). The title is clear, it was just a repair. Its not a salvage title, I wouldnt consider it if it was a salvage. I cant extend my budget anymore, 29,000 to 30,000 is more than i wanted to spend on a toy in the first place, thats why its this car or im back to the z06 corvettes. I dont really want to wait around for a deal because im probably not going to be able to find one with my luck. If someone shows me another 99 rt10 for 30 ill buy it, its just not gonna happen.

Before you go any further with your puchase, do some homework on the maintainance and repair costs for a Gen II. If your budget is as tight as it appears to be, you may not be able to afford same. Parts for the Gen II's will stop being made after 2009. Gen II Viper parts, even with discounts, are not cheap. Does the car you are looking at have new tires? If they are more than three years old, they should be replaced even if they have tread. The tires get hard and dangerous. Four new tires will run you more than you might think. Does the center console have a crack in it? Do the doors close without any problem? Do all the speakers work? Are there any fumes coming through the rear exhauster vents at idle?Does the AC work? Do some homework first.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I simply think there are too many non wrecked Vipers out there at reasonable prices to take a chance on this car. I have had my Viper up to 190 mph...no one wants any surprises a wrecked Viper might reveal under that kind of hard driving.

Keep looking, there are some deals out there.

mini viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 24 as well, and even though I just bought a Viper, I agree with cudavip. I wouldn't touch any car that has been wrecked, especially a Viper. Then again, I plan on owning my car for life and hope that it will turn into an investment. If you just want the car to thrash around while you're in your twenties, maybe its ok. Otherwise I would set yourself a savings goal for the near future and stick to it. It was pretty hard for me to resist new rims/navi/stereo/supercharger/etc for my truck, but it paid off in the end.

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very anal about wrecked cars as well, especially a high performance car like the viper. I inspected the entire car and there is no evidence of frame or suspension damage. All of the damage was cosmetic which i can let slide. Ever the summary of the repairs from the shop that fixed the car showed only cosmetic repairs.

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am crazy and i decided to stretch my budget once again. I won the auction on the viper i just posted a link for. Its about 5 grand more than i wanted to spend but i think i got a hell of a deal. Let me know what you guys think, i feel like a kid on christmas eve!!!!

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how many is a bunch and how recent? That doesnt sound good. The car fax come back spotless and it seems to check out. Do you remember if it was just listed and didnt sell or did it sell everythime you saw it. Man, i cant get a break

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, because when I first saw that car (months ago), I thought it was sweet, but then I remember someone had a post regarding the auction. If I find it, I'll link it, but I'm sure someone else will also remember it.

I hope it all checks out, as it looks FANTASTIC!

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hope it checks out too, i would love to seal the deal with the guy when he calls me later. I think its a great deal considering the low mileage, full exhaust, and wheels (i believe they are HRE). For about 6 grand more i am getting one year newer with alot less miles, already modded, and most important a clean carfax.

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a great deal to me. If it has been for sale before someone will speak up.'Surprise' AZ makes me a little nervous, does it exist ?

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spoke to the seller on the phone and found out the history. He bought the car off ebay from a guy in california 6 months ago bone stock with just the hre wheels for 35,400. He spent a few grand on the headers and full exhaust and ran into some financial dificulties and needs to sell the car now. The only thing that is a problem is that he thinks the car was painted yellow but was originally black. He really doesnt know alot about vipers and had a local viper shop do the work. What do you think about the repaint?

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No yellow in 2000 (just black, red, steel grey), so it has been repainted. You'd assume there'd have been a reason for it, wouldn't you? I'd try and get the whole story - the seller sounds like he's being conveniently ignorant.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a great deal to me. If it has been for sale before someone will speak up.'Surprise' AZ makes me a little nervous, does it exist ?

It's cool. Surprise is a growing city on the NW side of Phoenix. I always thought it sounded fishy too. :rolaugh: For you baseball guys, the Rangers and Royals have spring training facilities in Surprise as well.

Transamer79: If you need someone to check the car out, PM Kenneth Kreiger. He is the AZ VCA President and can point you in the right direction. I can help out as well. PM me if you need anything. Good luck!

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crap, i cant believe i didnt know that it was a repaint. I have no problem knowing thats its not an original color but now it comes back to the resale factor. I dont want to take a huge hit or have to sit on it forever if i ever have to sell it in the future. If you look at the pics it looks like its lighter than the yellow im used to on the viper. Its nice that its a low mile rt10 with the exhaust and the wheels but now the paint thing is ******* me off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha Ha yeah thats it before the paint was done. It probably needed to be painted after all those hoes were climbing on it. I just talked to the guy again on the phone and he said the paint was done while the guy before him had it. He didnt even know it wasnt originally yellow until he had it at chrysler and they told him.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow trans, just caught up on your thread, This is amateur night.

Just to make sure im clear on the situation: You were totally on the right track asking us for advice and all, but then ended up buying an ebay car that you didnt know was repainted because you dont even know enough about vipers to know that there was only a few colors produced each year?
read up: International Viper Registry

Sounds like you should of stuck with vettes. But what is done is done.
Hope you enjoy the viper!

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow trans, just caught up on your thread, This is amateur night.

Just to make sure im clear on the situation: You were totally on the right track asking us for advice and all, but then ended up buying an ebay car that you didnt know was repainted because you dont even know enough about vipers to know that there was only a few colors produced each year?
read up: International Viper Registry

Sounds like you should of stuck with vettes. But what is done is done.
Hope you enjoy the viper!

I cant even get mad at this, im an idiot. I shouldnt be allowed on ebay when i have a hangover lol. I should do some more homework.

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
earlier someone mentioned that the yellow viper has been on ebay a few times and that there was some prior discussion on the forum concerning it. I have been searching the archives all damn day and i have come up with nothing. If anybody runs across anyhting about it i would love to read it. Thanks, Kevin

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant even get mad at this, im an idiot. I shouldnt be allowed on ebay when i have a hangover lol. I should do some more homework.

Don't be too ******* yourself. I think that you should talk to this fellow. His ad was misleading. Here are the words that he used:

The only thing not perfect is between the seats on the arm rest is a small dent, shown in pics. This car has michelin sport tires with 90% tread left. The car is fast and badass, so ride like a rockstar. No reserve car must sell.

Since the paint was not OEM, it certainly is not "perfect". I do not know what ebay's rules are but the above language seems wrong to me when he knew the entire car was painted.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Transamer, you haven't sent any cash yet, have you? Make sure to have somebody check the car out(preferably a Viper Tech). I think I looked at this car back in 2005. I can't be positive it was the same car, but same story(2000, viper yellow re-paint, rapper owned). The one I looked at had frame damage on the bottom where the front lower control arms connected like it had run over a curb. Have it checked completely!

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to let you guys know its the same car. No yellow viper for this guy. The search continues.....