New headers/exhaust - check engine light on. Annoyance or functional loss? Fix? nt

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I beleve it's an annoyance, mine comes on also, but no loss of power.

Fix, I put on a Mopar HiPo ECU, got rid of light but I LOST 25 hp & 20 ft-lbs. of torque, I have the stock ECU on now and will live with the light.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the problem in my 98 GTS when I removed the cats. Every now and then the light would come on. When it was on, it did not effect my A/F ratio or power according to the dyno.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What trouble codes are you getting on the '98 and newer cars? Is it a catalyst efficiency failure code or something else (catalyst heater)?
Are you getting the codes when still running stock cats?
Let me know and I'll see if I can help find a solution.

Jaymz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am getting codes of 1281 and 1494. I will not get the codes if I allow the car to warm up before driving. My theory is the O2 sensors are heated and will not function properly with a cat until fully heated. It generally only takes a minute or so.

OP
OP
A

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean:

As the car has been prepared for off-road use, the cats have been removed. I have not checked the fault codes, but will do so and report back to you asap. The car is equipped with Belanger headers and exhaust system, but no other modifications.

I disconnected the battery to clear the code(s); upon restart, the light illuminated immediately.

Thanks .....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960