(New Here)2006 Viper - What should be my first modifications?

ChampzViper06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am getting a red 2006 Viper with just over 5,000 miles on it. It has been in my family for about 13 years now.

I was thinking exhaust first then wheels one day.

Any small mods that you guys can think off, like interior stuff or front lip or rear lip spoiler, etc?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent you a lot more info in a PM, but I've been happy with my newly acquired Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02s:

You must be registered for see images attach

Ordered from @JonB - showed up as pictured above 22 hours and 43 minutes later.

Michelin also makes a solid tire that I wouldn't hesitate to run on my mostly street driven car, but they are just a bit more expensive than the Continentals.

OP
OP
C

ChampzViper06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent you a lot more info in a PM, but I've been happy with my newly acquired Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02s:

Ordered from @JonB - showed up as pictured above 22 hours and 43 minutes later.

Michelin also makes a solid tire that I wouldn't hesitate to run on my mostly street driven car, but they are just a bit more expensive than the Continentals.
Oh those look ****!
I'll have to message Jon B to get some prices.

Loren jones

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Champ,
I bought those tires this year and have put a couple hundred miles on them, they have been great, even in the rain!! Just as an aside, Steve M is a great resource and very generous with his time and knowledge. Also I went with new wheels from Forgestar, couldn't be happier!! Enjoy the Viper, there isn't anything like them!!

mcjaxon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am getting a red 2006 Viper with just over 5,000 miles on it. It has been in my family for about 13 years now.

I was thinking exhaust first then wheels one day.

Any small mods that you guys can think off, like interior stuff or front lip or rear lip spoiler, etc?
Is it a HT or roaderster?

Either way, why go small?

I say build the ultimate 2006 Tribute (save for the repaint).

A VOI9 Arrow/Mopar Performance Option Viper.

9 were made, all of them were beasts with HP numbers as delivered to the original owner that rivaled the 645hp Gen 5 cars.

Bellanger Headers
Wild cam
Full performance exhaust
ECU tune/advance
Beefed up internals, better oiling to handle the added HP

There are sites that say exactly what was done online that you can dig up.

If you wanna see one of the 9 in action? Here you go! ;)

OP
OP
C

ChampzViper06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Champ,
I bought those tires this year and have put a couple hundred miles on them, they have been great, even in the rain!! Just as an aside, Steve M is a great resource and very generous with his time and knowledge. Also I went with new wheels from Forgestar, couldn't be happier!! Enjoy the Viper, there isn't anything like them!!

Hey Loren! Thanks for the great info. Yes Steve has already been so helpful. I'm trying to learn all about this Viper.
I love your wheels, color, and setup. Very well done!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Is it a HT or roaderster?

Either way, why go small?

I say build the ultimate 2006 Tribute (save for the repaint).

A VOI9 Arrow/Mopar Performance Option Viper.

9 were made, all of them were beasts with HP numbers as delivered to the original owner that rivaled the 645hp Gen 5 cars.

Bellanger Headers
Wild cam
Full performance exhaust
ECU tune/advance
Beefed up internals, better oiling to handle the added HP

There are sites that say exactly what was done online that you can dig up.

If you wanna see one of the 9 in action? Here you go! ;)

Hmm, I'm interested what all they did on those for the oiling. I recently had them go through my short block after my second rod bearing failure and they did some oil mods for me while they were there. Wonder if it was the same thing they were doing back then.

Money_pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also interested in doing some p/maintenance/ upgrades myself . I don't know the service history of my vehicle and how can I tell if my viper is OE stock ? What is the best recommendation for aftermarket plugs and wires or should I just leave it like it is ? 2006 VOI9 edition

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think a lot of it depends on what you really want to do with your car or get out of it. The more I've modified my car the more I've also appreciated what it was like factory stock. There are definitely some preventative maintenance style upgrades though, and some other smaller quality of life things you can do. Oil cooler lines and the power steering pump line are typically pretty high on the list for a lot of people to prevent leaks before they happen and are pretty easy to install. I think some of the power steering line kits are overkill though because they replace all the hoses when only one ever seems to be a problem. I bought a kit originally and then sort of ended up making my own with a local hydraulic shop that I like a lot more and took off everything but one adapter fitting that came in the original kit.

Exhaust is a pretty subjective change, though one I think most people tend to make. More than anything it's just to change the sound the cabin heat issues though. Without other engine mods I wouldn't expect a huge performance gain. The factory manifolds are basically shorty headers to begin with and the rest of the exhaust system isn't really all that restrictive with the stock engine setup. The stock system is pretty tame though. Aftermarket systems vary quite a bit on the kind of exhaust note you get. Some are "racier" and have a higher pitched more exotic sound to me (I tend to think the Corsa system sounds like this) and others are more deep toned muscle car like (I think the Borla system leans more this way). Some I think are somewhere in the middle, maybe like the Bellanger setup. To each their own though, pretty much every system you can buy is a pretty nice piece that is well made.

Suspension is another one that is fairly commonly upgraded. The stock setup isn't bad for street driving and can do okay on the track, but I think tends to end up leaking eventually. Lots of options here as well from reasonably affordable up to race level expensive. I have MCS single adjustable shocks on my car that I think are excellent pieces for the money, but I do think they are a little more harsh ride than I might like given that my car is 99% street driven and only tends to go to the track once a year. I do think tires might actually have something to do with the ride as well though. Brand new tires tend to feel a little more "soft" on bumps than ones with a few years and heat cycles under their belt.

Regarding plugs and wires, most will say stick with the factory copper Champion plugs and just replace them regularly. They perform well and are affordable to boot. Many people also really like AB's quality wires for ignition lead replacements. I bought a set years ago when I had a boot pull off of one of my wires and was very impressed by the quality when they showed up. They are fully jacketed with a really nice cover that looks great and keeps them protected. Only thing is I think you need larger wire routing clips if I remember correctly because the jacketing makes them a little too big of diameter to fit in the stock ones.

Really though I'd say just drive it and find out what you like and don't first though. No sense in throwing tons of parts and money at it before you even have something to compare it against. Some people will love some mods that others might hate.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you plan on tracking the car, I would not bother with mods. It's a great street car factory stock. Get the skip-shift delete to allow you to shift when you want, and you're pretty much done.

If I were driving the car mostly on the street, with the occasional track day, I would start with these mods:

Oiling system upgrade: I blew my (stock) engine at the track due to oil starvation. It now has a Competition Coupe oil pan and a 3 quart Accusump oil accumulator. If you want to go all-in, a dry sump is also an option.

Torque biasing differential: I installed a Quaiffe diff. It made a surprising amount of difference going around corners, allowing me to put the power down coming out of corners in a more controlled manner. This would be my first performance/handling mod.

Suspension: I put in some adjustable Moton club sport shocks. These improved ride and handling on both smooth and bumpy surfaces.

Safety: A proper rollbar may save your life if you end up with the wrong side of the car facing up. Autoform makes one for the Gen 3. Some track/racing events may require an upgraded rollbar. A 6 point seatbelt and compatible head restraint system can help keep you planted in your seat and keep your head attached if you hit something that makes you stop really really quickly.

That's about where I would stop with mods, if I was just getting a Viper today.

You can obviously go a lot further, but once you start messing with the engine, you're headed down a rabbit hole that's hard to find your way back out of. Even relatively minor changes, such as changes to the exhaust system, are likely to have consequences with things like emissions testing, etc.
I fell down the modification rabbit hole almost 20 years ago when I first bought my Viper. It was fun, but also was frustrating at times and very expensive. I would not recommend the experience to a new Viper owner today. The Gen 3 Viper is no longer a pinnacle performance sports car. It's now a classic, iconic sports car. I don't think you will be disappointed in the experience of owning and driving a mostly stock Gen 3.

OP
OP
C

ChampzViper06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you plan on tracking the car, I would not bother with mods. It's a great street car factory stock. Get the skip-shift delete to allow you to shift when you want, and you're pretty much done.

If I were driving the car mostly on the street, with the occasional track day, I would start with these mods:

Oiling system upgrade: I blew my (stock) engine at the track due to oil starvation. It now has a Competition Coupe oil pan and a 3 quart Accusump oil accumulator. If you want to go all-in, a dry sump is also an option.

Torque biasing differential: I installed a Quaiffe diff. It made a surprising amount of difference going around corners, allowing me to put the power down coming out of corners in a more controlled manner. This would be my first performance/handling mod.

Suspension: I put in some adjustable Moton club sport shocks. These improved ride and handling on both smooth and bumpy surfaces.

Safety: A proper rollbar may save your life if you end up with the wrong side of the car facing up. Autoform makes one for the Gen 3. Some track/racing events may require an upgraded rollbar. A 6 point seatbelt and compatible head restraint system can help keep you planted in your seat and keep your head attached if you hit something that makes you stop really really quickly.

That's about where I would stop with mods, if I was just getting a Viper today.

You can obviously go a lot further, but once you start messing with the engine, you're headed down a rabbit hole that's hard to find your way back out of. Even relatively minor changes, such as changes to the exhaust system, are likely to have consequences with things like emissions testing, etc.
I fell down the modification rabbit hole almost 20 years ago when I first bought my Viper. It was fun, but also was frustrating at times and very expensive. I would not recommend the experience to a new Viper owner today. The Gen 3 Viper is no longer a pinnacle performance sports car. It's now a classic, iconic sports car. I don't think you will be disappointed in the experience of owning and driving a mostly stock Gen 3.
I was thinking to just do an exhaust but Corsa is expensive for just Cat-back. Then I thought... well if I bought an exhaust my as well go headers back.

Siciliano15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides new tires which are prob most important, ive always been a fan of sticking to the oem Mopar Performance parts. For your car you can do the Mopar pcm, race exhaust, underdrive pulleys, camshaft, acr rotors, and a few other things that will get you a good amount of power and you know all the parts will be a perfect fit since most of them were used on the Viper Competition Coupe. Just my opinion and pretty much what I did on my 2009 except no Mopar cam was available for me so I did a K&N drop in filter instead. Picked up a lot of power and driveability is just as good as stock.

OP
OP
C

ChampzViper06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides new tires which are prob most important, ive always been a fan of sticking to the oem Mopar Performance parts. For your car you can do the Mopar pcm, race exhaust, underdrive pulleys, camshaft, acr rotors, and a few other things that will get you a good amount of power and you know all the parts will be a perfect fit since most of them were used on the Viper Competition Coupe. Just my opinion and pretty much what I did on my 2009 except no Mopar cam was available for me so I did a K&N drop in filter instead. Picked up a lot of power and driveability is just as good as stock.
Where would I find a Mopar race exhaust?
Any sound clips? Any web links?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Im not being mean, but i think the first thing
you should do is learn how to drive it properly,
then drive it a while to see what YOU feel it
lacks. Putting a big blower or suspension on a
car as high strung as a Viper may just make it
unpalatable... or worse undrivable... to a noob.

Personally, ive got no one to impress so i let all
the major mods go and just built the car i always
wanted. 20 years later and im still perfectly
content and spent a fraction on what some of
these other power nuts have.

There are people here (and especially on the
other site) who HATE my car because of what it
is, but theyre not the one driving it, or spending
my money on it.

OP
OP
C

ChampzViper06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not being mean, but i think the first thing
you should do is learn how to drive it properly,
then drive it a while to see what YOU feel it
lacks. Putting a big blower or suspension on a
car as high strung as a Viper may just make it
unpalatable... or worse undrivable... to a noob.

Personally, ive got no one to impress so i let all
the major mods go and just built the car i always
wanted. 20 years later and im still perfectly
content and spent a fraction on what some of
these other power nuts have.

There are people here (and especially on the
other site) who HATE my car because of what it
is, but theyre not the one driving it, or spending
my money on it

Got any pictures of your car you might wanna share.

Siciliano15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where would I find a Mopar race exhaust?
Any sound clips? Any web links?
The Mopar part number is P4510176. It was designed for the 2003-2006 competition coupe but it fits perfect on 08-10 cars too. Not crazy loud but deep sounding. pretty resonably priced too i got mine for just over $600 full stainless. It increases pipe size from 2.5" to 3". eliminates the cats since its a competition system so you would want to run it with the Mopar PCM part number P4510172AB. Both of these mods together make a huge difference in power. Here is an idle sound clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScoblvDxTKs

If you decided to do the cam that part number is p4510171. The underdrive pulley is p4510177. Not sure if I am allowed to recommend certain sites to buy from on this forum or not but there are plenty of sites online that you can get these parts.

Last edited:

Old School

Enthusiast
Reaction score

P4510171 cam description from Mopar:

Based on the Competition Coupe camshaft and built for the 2003-2006 Viper SRT10. Uses production springs and rocker arms to offer a 6-8 horsepower increase at top end of rpm range. Recommended for use with Race Engine Controller (P4510172AB) and 3-inch Race Exhaust (P4510176).

· Cam lift: 0.320" Intake and 0.320" Exhaust
· Duration at 0.050": 220.00 Intake/230.5 Exhaust
· Cam Centerline = 117° after top dead center

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21