new here

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not a Viper owner but will be. I am not sure if this is the right area for non owners to post questions. Sorry if its the wrong area.

Love the Vipers and want to learn as much as possible about the different generations.

I have a daughter and grand daughter who live with me so after them I don't have tons of money left. :) I am hoping to find a nice Viper for around 45K (+/-5K).

I have been looking in the different sections but could not find a thread that would tell me the differences between the generations. I know they started around 400 hp and are up to about 600 for the new ones.

Looking at a first gen, I am confused as to whether they have side windows or not. :dunno:

any info on pros/cons for each generation would be great.

This car would be my present to myself for surviving 50 years on this great planet. Been through several accidents (none my fault) and have had multiple spinal surgeries.

History of me is, I am a proud parent/grand parent. Live in Kansas City for the last 20 years. Grew up in California where my parents still live. Was Army for 17 years and now work for a company as a Data Analyst who processes your 401K transactions.
I do love cars and am in the process of building a 1/4 mile track only Trans Am. Its a work in progress to replace one I blew up a couple of years ago.

Again, sorry if this is the wrong section.

John

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,

Welcome...I am a little older than you and have had my Viper for 2 years now. I love it and will never sell it. I may add another one to my garage. Anyway to answer your other questions click on the "New Owners Guide" on the Home Page for a lot of good info and further down on the left side of the home page is the "Viper Registry". Click on that and you will find a lot of Viper info including the answers to your question about what are the differences from year to year. Enjoy.

Mark

OP
OP
D

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks very much Mark. I have always loved everything about the Viper except the price. Never thought I could get one for the prices I am seeing. Love that most Viper owners cherish these awesome cars and take care of them the way they do.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for you, John!!!! You DESERVE a Viper for sure!! Went thru my own issues, and got myself a paddle-shifting Vette (we also have an '05 Black SRT-10), 436hp this past Oct....never had a sports car of MY OWN before, so I hear ya!! As far as answering your questions...you have good ones...and yes, please do alot of research to find out what is the BEST Viper for YOU. Chuck Tator is always excellent with questions and I bet he'd be glad to hear from you: 1-914-763-3136. He's our "Viper Wizard" here in NY. BEST of luck to you...juli
**Took us MANY years to finally acquire our 'Dream Car-Viper' as well...it cannot compare to any other car!**

V

Venomiss

Kansas City huh?:)

There is a meeting for KCVCA Vipers every last Tuesday of the month.
When the weather gets better here you will see Vipers in KC. Try for March or April to see them in person. Use the search here for all kinds of information on the Viper you decide on. Woodhouse and Bill Pemberton have provided many Vipers from the KC area.http://forums.viperclub.org/dealer-...-post-good-first-time-buyers.html#post2400410

Welcome and be sure to look around!:2tu:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks everyone,

I met Dawn (Vipergirl) at World of Wheels in KC. Looking forward to meeting all of you and getting behind the wheel of my own toy.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would urge you to spend $25 on VIPER BUYERS GUIDE from PartsRack and elsewhere...

We have a GREAT Gen 1 RT here, $32,000..... both tops, nice. but its YELLOW
Too Many Yellows in KC already ?!?!///

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome John :) To answer one of your questions, Gen 1's (92-95 RT/10s) do not have rollup windows. They are plastic zip up windows and "drop in" to slots in the door panel. Gen 1.5 (96 RT/10's) still have "drop in" windows , but they are hard plastic sliding windows vs. zip-up plastic windows. Gen 2's (96-02 GTS's and 97-02 RT/10s) have power windows.

V

Venomiss

thanks everyone,

I met Dawn (Vipergirl) at World of Wheels in KC. Looking forward to meeting all of you and getting behind the wheel of my own toy.

Dawn and Tim are great members. Afford the best you can and now is a good time to buy before spring hits. Be sure and check out the classifed section here.
Get a Viper Tech to check any car before you purchase-worth it's weight in gold.
Locally we have a VP of the club who is also a mechanic along with his real job.
Jerry has worked on many Viper Club members vehicles and does work for Rosso Motorsports in Stillwell.
They have an number-800 790-3816 or local at 913-681-2220.

Hope to see you in a Viper soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang