New member checking in...

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello to all. Hoping to learn something about Vipers here since I'm hoping to purchase one in the near future. Another current Vette owner. Read Dano's transition thread, good info there, so no need to repeat alot of the same stuff.
Kind of curious about the heat in the interior issue discussed alot. Where does it generate from and besides free flowing cats, what else can help this, and knowing how Vettes are, what are some of the common annoyances from Vipers that need to be checked, corrected or??
And...anyone here from the Phoenix area? Thanks in advance :)

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome.....in my short experience being a Viper owner (mine came from Phoenix by the way) I'll give you what wisdom I have gained. The heat issue is annoying but I have gotten used to it. To me it feels like an oven from my feet to about my knees. If it gets too bad (rarely) I use the air, but usually it helps it you wear thin socks and light shoes and shorts/cut offs if you can.

When I first got my car I shifted from 3rd to 2nd instead to 4th a couple of times. Yikes, talk about something getting your attention quick. I have heard of several others who have done this so I think this is a small issue. I haven't done this in a while and I think mostly it is because I concentrate more and I got a MGW shift knob that lowers the heighth of the shifter. In fact I think I concentrate a lot more now just driving the Viper.....it requires it. You can't window shop while driving a Viper and that's a good thing.

Enjoy. :headbang:

268Copperhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The heat is not a big issue. An aftermarket exhaust system will remove the issue completely.

An these cars sound unbelievable with an aftermarket exhaust.

I have never had an issue with shifting. Alot depends on how hold the shifter. They will teach you that in a racing school at your local track.

Owning a Vette is nice. It is a nice car. Quick, fancy, etc. Owning a Viper is an experience. Completley different type of car. It is an exclusive club. They are the king of the street.

How many times have you ever found yourself saying WOW what a beautiful Vette. They are everywhere. Still a good car but there are thousands of them.

When a Viper drives by it is like a presence. It captures all the attention. They are real true to life eye candy. And the best part is that the performance is out of this world.

IMHO owning a vette is great. Owning a Viper is an experience.

I like cleaning mine just because I like to look at it.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few things you'll want to do:

1. Change the exhaust. Stock exhaust sounds like a unhealthy V8
2. Get a new shift knob. Stock knobs are about 4 feet long
3. Get a gas card. That way you can pay at the pump and not have to lose driving time by having to go inside to pay
4. Get ready to have your car's picture taken a lot
5. Get ready to talk to everyone who walks by, because they're going to talk to you
6. Get ready to be a celebrity!

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few things you'll want to do:

4. Get ready to have your car's picture taken a lot
5. Get ready to talk to everyone who walks by, because they're going to talk to you
6. Get ready to be a celebrity!

You know, I hear these things often. I guess it depends on where you live. I NEVER have pictures taken, not many comments, and definitely not a celebrity. Where I live, I guess my yellow 2001 RT is becoming an "old" sportscar. Here in the Atlanta area it is common to see cars far more exotic. My eight year old neighbor thinks its cool though. A gas card would be a good idea though if you are not stock!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, I hear these things often. I guess it depends on where you live. I NEVER have pictures taken, not many comments, and definitely not a celebrity. Where I live, I guess my yellow 2001 RT is becoming an "old" sportscar. Here in the Atlanta area it is common to see cars far more exotic. My eight year old neighbor thinks its cool though. A gas card would be a good idea though if you are not stock!

Well, maybe its not the car. Maybe I just look that dang good! :nana: :D

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Well, maybe its not the car. Maybe I just look that dang good! :nana: :D

[/QUOTE]

OK Chad, I set myself up for that one. It must be you they're taking pictures of. One question to ask yourself, are they woman or men that are taking all those picures? hmmm :confused:

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they normal people or Congressmen that take photos of you Chad????? I have the only Viper in my town and while I might not be a celebrity I know any car that pulls up next to me at a stop light won't try to out accelerate me and get in my lane like everyone does when I drive my Miata.

All the kids in my neighborhood flock aroung my garage when I back my car out which is kind of cool cos I remember when I was a kid and some old man had a cool car on my block.

More people turn their heads when I drive by than if Hillary Clinton said "Look at my boobs"!

I wish I could drive it more.....when I bought it in May it had 9900 miles on it and it has 12,000 on it now. Go figure.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was a little obtuse on my part. In the case of Hillary they would be turning their heads away and with my car they turn their heads to see. It was the best one I could come up with at work.

OP
OP
S

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
Hey, I thought this thread was about me...

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're right. This is all about you. Please share with us how fat your ex-wife is :)

I've never been married and never dated a fat chick, but my ex-fiance' was a money grubbing *** who probably now has more diseases than have been officially discovered.

OP
OP
S

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're right. This is all about you. Please share with us how fat your ex-wife is :)

I've never been married and never dated a fat chick, but my ex-fiance' was a money grubbing *** who probably now has more diseases than have been officially discovered.
:shocked: havn't seen the ex for some years...she was good last I saw her.
Sorry about your dilemna.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I decided to take my Z06 to the store the other day because I wanted to get in and out quickly without being noticed too much.

I drove the GTS today and didn't dare stop at a convenience store because about 5 million people will come up to me, asking questions, taking pictures, it's crazy!

I just make sure when I drive the Viper I am ready to deal with all the looks

Have fun on your search, that's half the fun of buying a Viper

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:shocked: havn't seen the ex for some years...she was good last I saw her.
Sorry about your dilemna.

No real loss, as soon as I got rid of her, I took the "Chad's getting married" money I had saved up and it became "Chad's going to buy a Viper" money and I had my Viper a month later :)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the Viper on a road trip to Durango, and stopped at the Grand Canyon since I hadn't been there in a long time. The car was almost as much a tourist attraction as the canyon/desert/mountains. And, it is a blast to drive on the twisty bits in the mountains!

OP
OP
S

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good deal AZTVR, someone close. Actually, you have the car, and color I'm looking for, if I get that, will it be odd two of the same type driving together, should such a drive ever exist? (lol)
:2tu: Do you go to the Pavillions ever or ??

268Copperhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out for a great drive today. I stopped for Pizza and a a guy pulled over to get some photos. The car is clean and it looks good.

It makes me smile when someone gets some joy from my car. As my wife says "driving it is fun". But she enjoys looking at it.

On my way home I was waiting at a stop light. As the light turns green, I look in my side view mirror and I see a guy in the next lane looking at my car.

Well he should have been paying more attention to his driving. He forgets to brake and rear ends the car beside me. Ouch. Not to hard but it was a shame. I feel bad for the guy.

Sometimes they can be a bit too much of an eye catcher.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you go to the Pavilions ever or ??

There are a few Phoenix area owners here, and at the AZ Viper club Yahoo Group http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AZ_ViperClub/ . I'm not a very social animal; so, I haven't met up with anyone yet. I go to the Pavilions often to look at the cars, but don't show mine since I hate sitting around for hours (unless it involves watching TV). PM sent.