New Member -- Deciding Between c6 Z06 or Gen III Coupe

Pappa Prich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of selling my GTO to get either a C6 Z06 or Gen III Viper. I've had my heart set on the Z ever since I made up my mind of selling the GTO. However lately I've caught myself looking more and more at the Viper as an option as well. For as long as I can remember, I have loved Vipers. IMO they have an appeal unlike any other car under $100K. As I've been researching used C6 Z's and III Gen Vipers, I've come to the conclusion that I could most likely afford either one. ...

At this point I'm thinking it will most likely come down to the best "value." In other words, the most car for the money given the model year, condition, and miles. I certainly will drive both prior to making the decision, however I would like to get other people's opinions and experiences while I continue my research.

I was hoping that there are some members who either own or have owned both, and can provide me with their general thoughts on each car. ...Why you went one way or the other and if you would do it again...? This will be a weekend only/good weather low mileage toy. Taken on the occasional trip; mostly likely to a car show. My goal is a street beast that will track will the best of them. It will be driven on the street 95% of the time.

Any and all insight would be helpful.
Thanks!

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of selling my GTO to get either a C6 Z06 or Gen III Viper. I've had my heart set on the Z ever since I made up my mind of selling the GTO. However lately I've caught myself looking more and more at the Viper as an option as well. For as long as I can remember, I have loved Vipers. IMO they have an appeal unlike any other car under $100K. As I've been researching used C6 Z's and III Gen Vipers, I've come to the conclusion that I could most likely afford either one. ...

At this point I'm thinking it will most likely come down to the best "value." In other words, the most car for the money given the model year, condition, and miles. I certainly will drive both prior to making the decision, however I would like to get other people's opinions and experiences while I continue my research.

I was hoping that there are some members who either own or have owned both, and can provide me with their general thoughts on each car. ...Why you went one way or the other and if you would do it again...? This will be a weekend only/good weather low mileage toy. Taken on the occasional trip; mostly likely to a car show. My goal is a street beast that will track will the best of them. It will be driven on the street 95% of the time.

Any and all insight would be helpful.
Thanks!

This subject has been beaten to death on this forum. Do a search and you will see the gajillion posts on it.

And if you have to ask then get the Vette.

OP
OP
P

Pappa Prich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I know you!

I've given you my 10 cents. We can take out my car this Sunday if I'm back in town.

Hey man -- I figured you'd find me!

I'd be more than happy to come up on Sunday if it fits your schedule. ... Let me know as the weekend gets closer. Thanks!

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I can't speak in terms of a C6 and Gen 3, but my personal experience involves a C5 Z06 and a gen 2 ACR. For me there was no question that the Viper was for me. I bought a 2002 Z06 because it was in awesome condition and in my price range. Then a deal on a 2001 ACR came up so I sold the Z06 and haven't looked back.

Now if you are the type of person who wants every creature comfort in the world and have something that everyone else has buy the Z06. If you don't mind the rawness and lack of options and are looking for a car that isn't on every street corner, go with the Viper.

OP
OP
P

Pappa Prich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This subject has been beaten to death on this forum. Do a search and you will see the gajillion posts on it.

And if you have to ask then get the Vette.

I will be sure to search -- however I have to ask why you're saying to get the Vette just because I'm looking for more information. ... I can understand if you coming from a 'passion' standpoint, however I'm looking for people's experiences and why they ended up going with one or the other. ... I have the c6z owners' perspectives, now I'm hoping for Viper owner's as well.

This will be a big investment and I want to gather as much information as I can.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Gen III and my buddy has a C6Z06. We've traded a few times just for fun. I was always glad to have my Viper back. There is nothing wrong with a c6 - its a killer car - its just that there are so many vettes on the road, to me it doesn't hold the exclusivity factor that a Viper does.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a ton of posts have said. If you have to ask and you have your heart set on a Vette then buy one. You will see yourself all the time. Buy a Viper and you join a rather select group. Not always the fastest but certainly you will get the most attention and have the most fun. Just like all Mopar owners through the years, you have to have one to appreciate the difference.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's kind of like the old Harley saying "If I had to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand"

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure there are a million threads about this. But who cares, the guy is looking for advise in his particular situation. I may be able to help with this situation. Although I have not owned a C6, I have had a C5. And I am currently on my second Viper which is a GTS.

Pro's for the corvette. Cheap, and easy mods. Up to 30mpg hwy. If you choose convertable you can have a normal conversation doing 75mph on the hwy with the top down. More of a daily driver. Can trust the wife to drive. Ton's of miles, with very little cost to maintain. Trac. control, cruise, ABS, heads-up, memory seats, etc.

Negatives for corvette. Once you have one you realize everyone and their brother has one. Always wish it was faster. Doesn't get anywhere near the attention. Shaped like a Pencil. Available in a automatic.

Pro's for Viper. Fast, coolest car in the world, amazing, unique, sweet, etc. Very rare (depending on city) about 22mpg hwy, ride decent, available add-ons/mods, wide as hell, 13" wide rear tire:omg:, retain value better than any car I have every had. A Viper is like money in the bank, except you get to enjoy it. Parts new/used are available. Viperclub.org obviously full of great people that are willing to help.

Negatives for Viper. Aftermarket anything is higher-priced IMO, but still nothing compared to Ferrari/Lambo. A monster to drive. You will be concerned as all hell if you let anyone drive it (including dealership). Somewhat louder, less funny gizmo-gadgets. SRT verts sometimes get mistaken for Vette's. Extremly high increase in insurance from vette to SRT. (this is why I am currently driving a GTS. $2000.00 more per year for 06 coupe)

Hope this helps. I would still by a Viper. Never a Vette, just not my cup of tea. If I was traveling a lot for work then possibly a vette, but would wish I had a Viper everyday!!

-Tim

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In three years, that Vette will be invisible on the streets, while the Viper will still be stopping traffic.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in your shoes just last year, I was looking at a 2007 vette or a few years older Viper, the vette has all the creature comforts, cruise control, traction control, Heads up display, etc. The Viper has your left foot and right foot for traction control, you can purchase an after market cruise control unit and have it installed and no HUD. I pass probably 6-8 vettes a day going to and from work, can't tell what options they have, they all look the same. I pass ZERO Vipers per day except mine going to and from work, people will speed up or slow down to drive beside me to get my attention just to give me a "Thumbs up" and I'm talking Audi, BMW, and today a Mercedes, have never had a vette driver do it though, still waiting on that one. The car is definately unique and when you are driving it you kind of feel unique as well, not many of us out there on the road. I'll close by saying that you will draw rockstar attention with the Viper and maybe Valet attention with the Vette. I wouldn't trade my 02 Viper for a brand new 2012 Vette, there is just no comparison. Take care. Jeff

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to consider a GEN III with mods already done....such as a supercharger! You won't see many Vipers in a month, but you'll use all your fingers, toes, a notepad if you count Vettes.

Regards,
Aaron

ExplorerThis

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sold my 03 cobra for a 06 z06 for a 06 viper coupe...should answer your question pretty easily.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I pass ZERO Vipers per day except mine going to and from work, people will speed up or slow down to drive beside me to get my attention just to give me a "Thumbs up" and I'm talking Audi, BMW, and today a Mercedes, have never had a vette driver do it though, still waiting on that one.

Inferiority complex so they simply refuse to look to the side and pretend they don't see us..... That happens to me every single time I pass a vette.:lmao:

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pappa Prich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice, I truly appreciate it!

It's kind of like the old Harley saying "If I had to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand"

Understood, and owning a heavily modded (pristine) GTO I understand EXACTLY what you are saying -- I've just never owned a Viper so I don't know yet ... but my respect and admiration for them helps me get it :2tu:

What type of advice are you getting on the Vette forum(s)?

Frankly, very similar to the advice that you all are giving here. Basically if you're looking for a daily driver with comforts, get the Z. If you're looking for a toy get the Viper.

Do you know the size of the Viper motor? If so, and you're still undecided buy the Vette.

Quite well -- 8.3 V10 Gen III, 8.4 V10 GenIV. Truly impressive, but with all due respect, the LS7 7.0 V8 does the same thing the 8.3 V10 does ... just saying.

It's not the size of the motor that will make this decision. If power and the motor were the only deciding factors I'd get the Z. Regardless, Z or Viper, it will NOT be staying stock so it doesn't matter.

My goal for this car is the ultimate (that I can afford) weekend toy. A true driving experience that will always leave a smile on my face from the time I open the garage to the time that I close it. ... It's for that reason that I'm leaning very heavily towards the Viper right now. Driving one will make the decision ...

OP
OP
P

Pappa Prich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Negatives for Viper. Aftermarket anything is higher-priced IMO, but still nothing compared to Ferrari/Lambo. A monster to drive. You will be concerned as all hell if you let anyone drive it (including dealership). Somewhat louder, less funny gizmo-gadgets. SRT verts sometimes get mistaken for Vette's. Extremly high increase in insurance from vette to SRT. (this is why I am currently driving a GTS. $2000.00 more per year for 06 coupe ...

These are some concerns that I do have though ... If you all don't mind me asking, what are you Gen III guys paying on average for insurance?

Not too worried about the aftermarket added cost. I have an excellent shop (Race Proven Motorsports) that will take the best care of me and I've looked into parts and they aren't TOO crazy in regard to price. I don't see myself doing too much more than opening it up and letting it breath -- intake, headers, exhaust, tune -- at first. Down the road I'd put a paxton on it. Tires and wheels somewhere in between.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey pappa...I spoke to you via PM a few times on CF too. Starting next weekend, I go to the cruise-in at Burtonsville Sunday mornings, and will start going to the Jimmie Cone in Mt. Airy Saturday nights. We can meet up for a ride if you'd like.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not too sure about insurance, but my Gen IIIs have been very reasonable...like $80 a month. I'd imagine it'd be considerably more if it was a daily driver, but a Vette would be the same way.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
$1000 per year through GEICO. Houston, TX with no tickets or accidents. Simply obtain the VIN of a Viper you're interested in and call around for quotes.

Last edited:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.....I certainly will drive both prior to making the decision.....

many sellers will take you for a drive, but won't let you test drive :drive:

....... This will be a weekend only/good weather low mileage toy. Taken on the occasional trip; mostly likely to a car show. My goal is a street beast that will track will the best of them. It will be driven on the street 95% of the time......

sounds like perfect viper parameters,

nothing wrong with a vet, but it is not a viper

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Check on Insurance in your area as the blanket comment that it will be a ton more than a Corvette is not accurate. It can completely depend on the State you live in and in some the Insurance on the Viper could even be less than the Vette. There can be a wide variance around the Country and even based on the city you reside in.

It took from 1992 till July of 2008 for the Viper to reach 25,000 cars. In a single year GM builds more Vettes than this. If you are single there is no question which machine will pick up the Ladies ------------just ask Chad ( VCA Pres. of Georgia ) , he will give you a wealth of information about Viper conquests, though we are not sure any of them are true, but he does take great photographs, ha.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My goal for this car is the ultimate (that I can afford) weekend toy. A true driving experience that will always leave a smile on my face from the time I open the garage to the time that I close it. ... It's for that reason that I'm leaning very heavily towards the Viper right now. Driving one will make the decision ...

If this is truly the case then the viper would be the way to go IMO. drive the viper first and you will not even consider driving the vette. :)

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm paying around $800 per year with Geico. 33 years old and one pretty damn high speeding ticket (not in the Viper though). :)

I think location has a LOT to do with insurance. I don't know if it makes a difference to them if it's finianced or owned outright either, but that could be a contributing factor into the wide range of prices I've seen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4