New Member -- Deciding Between c6 Z06 or Gen III Coupe

OP
OP
P

Pappa Prich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey pappa...I spoke to you via PM a few times on CF too. Starting next weekend, I go to the cruise-in at Burtonsville Sunday mornings, and will start going to the Jimmie Cone in Mt. Airy Saturday nights. We can meet up for a ride if you'd like.

Hey man, I didn't realize this was you! ... That would be awesome. Since I'm in Frederick the Mt. Airy meet would be ideal. That, and it would be a good way to try and move the GTO too. I'd appreciate it if you would message me the next time you are planning on going and we can meet up. If you're going this Saturday let me know.

I figured that would be the case regarding Insurance. Given my driving history and current standing with my insurance company, I'm not worried about it.

At this point I'm almost certain I want the Viper. For a while it was one of those situations were my heart was saying Viper and my head was saying Z06. ... I had concerns about build quality and parts with the Viper, but as I learn more it appears it's better put together than ANY corvette! I've got my shop so that's not a concern and when it comes down to it they are about the same cost -- but the Viper holds better value, +1! ... And what's not to like about the exclusivity of a Viper!

I appreciate you local guys (and the Carlo) giving me the chance to check our your cars prior to me looking for one.

I guess the hardest part is going to be finding one.

Ryan SRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm kinda younger than many but i started sports cars with a 02 Mustang with nitrous then went to a C5. No mustang will ever be a Corvette. I did all the bolt on you could do to a C5 and thought it was fast. Then i sold it and went to Afghanistan for a year and bought a 06 coupe and had it waiting on me when i got home. Before i bought my car i was pondering the same question as you. When I got home, i almost wrecked it about a 1/4 mile out of my driveway with a huge grin and knew i made the right choice. No Corvette will ever be a Viper. I give props to the ZR1 it's a hell of a car. And i would trade my car for a ZR1, but then i'd put if for sell the next day and buy an ACR! In a vette you blend in, in a Viper people stare. I even had a guy in a convertible C6 honk and give me a thumbs up. 75% of the time you pump gas people are gonna ask/ say something about the car or want to take pictures. Guys will get their girl/ wife's attention to show them your car and women do the same. If you want speed for the money, buy a superbike or a CRX and mod it to hell. If you want the nastiest, beastly car ever built, Viper!

Husker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A year ago I was in the same situation you are in now. Vette vs Viper?

I test drove a Z06 last year and had a ride in a ZR1. I can tell you that the Viper and Vettes are two completely different cars.

After I purchased my Viper last fall and went to my first car show,(Sponsored by a local Corvette Club) I knew then that I had made the right decision. I was getting a lot of compliments from the Corvette guys; some of whom I have known for over 20 years. They did not realize that GenIV's existed, a few of them had not even seen one. Needless to say the Viper drew a crowd all day long. One of the Corvette guys told me that because of my car he was strongly thinking of selling his car and getting a Viper.

Since I have purchased my Viper, I have seen several (well over 50?) Corvettes on the road during commutes back and forth to work. I have only seen three vipers on the road that I remember. Heck...I have even spotted more Porsches on the road than Vipers (But that is another book and chapter).

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exclusivity has a lot to do with Viper ownership. I dunno if this is some deep-seeded "gotta be different" neurosis that I have, but when it came down to my own choice... there's nothing like the Viper. And that's mirrored by the driving experience: it came down to Viper ACR vs. Nissan GT-R for me. And I want the old-school, full control (except for throttle-by-wire :mad:) scare-yourself-occasionally experience.

And the recent production numbers are fun to consider: for the 2008-2010 model years, there were roughly 23 Vettes made for each Viper. And for every Viper ACR, about five ZR1s came off the line. Check out the car sales pie chart in a current thread that shows the sales number comparisons for domestic sports cars... very enlightening.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we wait until someone advises you to buy the vette, this wil be the longest thread ever. Seriously, I don't think this is the right place to get advise on the subject, you will only get the obvious answers, so just buy the Viper! We all know you want to,this is why you asked us ;)

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only have two points to make.
1. If you have to ask the question, you already know the answer.
2. I highly doubt you are over 60 with grey hair.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im fortunate to have both in my garage. I seem to drive the Viper more, but the ZO6 is faster hands down. Both of mine are modded, the attention the Viper gets is a little crazy.
You can drive the Vette with your eye's closed. Bring your full attention when you get in the Viper, **** gets out of hand fast....

bigmack339

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper GTS is a good sports car. The SRT 10 is amazing. The ZO6 is dull, unless you put a Punisher sticker under the hood.

happy56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper is a 94 and I pay 438 for a year of full coverage. I am 54 no serious tickets and have multiple cars through State Farm.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper GTS is a good sports car. The SRT 10 is amazing. The ZO6 is dull, unless you put a Punisher sticker under the hood.

Nothing dull about owning one of these.. this car is amazing at the track. The gap in the wheel well is because i have the car partially lifted. I was finishing the side skirts and front splitter

Attachments

• side skirts and splitter zo6 001.jpg
    side skirts and splitter zo6 001.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 36

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is more reliable and doesn't break as easy as the Vette. I don't give a whit about exclusitivity; I wish there were more Vipers running around so that the cost and availability of Viper parts/repair would be easier. It does seem to get more positive attention than the Vette. Modding the Vette would be easier and cheaper than the Viper. I don't think the Z06 is any less to insure but do check. If you get the Viper, do get the Giken or Quaiffe differential as your first serious mod.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite well -- 8.3 V10 Gen III, 8.4 V10 GenIV. Truly impressive, but with all due respect, the LS7 7.0 V8 does the same thing the 8.3 V10 does ... just saying.

It's not the size of the motor that will make this decision. If power and the motor were the only deciding factors I'd get the Z. Regardless, Z or Viper, it will NOT be staying stock so it doesn't matter.

IMHO, sportscars for the street are only shadows of their racing versions. The racing versions of the Viper got penalized with huge restrictor plates and lots of added weight in order to race in many venues because it has the biggest engine. That is why there is a Viper Racing League and ACRX races to let racers run their Vipers wild. The Gen I,II, and III Vipers have lower compression than Corvettes. I guess it is to help them pass emissions and keep the owners from killing themselves. When looking at classic car values, the cars with the biggest and baddest engines get the higher bids.

I own a Viper and a base C5. I will eventually trade in the C5 for a newer C6 or C7 vert. I am keeping my Viper and plan on getting a newer 2nd Viper because even after over 6 yrs of ownership, I still love it.

Good luck in your search.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite well -- 8.3 V10 Gen III, 8.4 V10 GenIV. Truly impressive, but with all due respect, the LS7 7.0 V8 does the same thing the 8.3 V10 does ... just saying.

It's not the size of the motor that will make this decision. If power and the motor were the only deciding factors I'd get the Z. Regardless, Z or Viper, it will NOT be staying stock so it doesn't matter.

You need to definitely get the Vette. The C6 Z06 is a fine car. You will be much, much happier with the Vette.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love these topics.

Z06 is a wonderful car. It is agressive looking. At only 7k produced per year it is somewhat rare. 0-60 in 3.6 and 1/4 mile in 11.8 at 125 mph it is very fast.

gen3 SRT10 is a wonderful car. Even more agressive looking than the Z06. Less thn 2k produced a year so very rare. 0-60 in 3.9 and 1/4 mile in 12.1 at 121 mph it is fast but wont match the Z06.

...BUT HERES THE THING...

Ive modded my gen3 and can easily beat a stock Z06. I actully gave my buddy's 495 rwhp Z06 very close runs that were within 1/2 a car length at 150 mph. We were both modded with bolt ons while he also had a very mild camshaft.

BASICALLY whichever you purchase you will most likely modify. So the Z06 being a few tenths faster stock for stock really shouldnt make your decision.

-The word VIPER is much kooler than Corvette Z06
-The Viper has much more road presence than the Z06
-The Viper is much much much more rare than the Z06
-The Viper is more bullet proof than the Z06
-Imagine saying. Ill go get my viper as opposed to saying Ill go get my Corvette Z06

The simple truth is this. Ive owned a corvette/nsx and a few vipers. The Z06 will get its share of attention from those in the know. But no BS when you roll up in a Viper. Well its pretty DAMN close to rolling up in a FERRARI or LAMBO but no cigar. A Z06 is pretty close to rolling up in a Viper but no cigar.

Cruised with my buddys new 2011 Gallardo a month or so ago and I was really surprised at how much peopole still noticed the Viper.

In comparison years ago when my brand new white vette was parked next to my friends brand new white nsx no one even noticed the vette.

You get the gen3 and even if a Lambo/Ferrari parks next to you. You'll still be their and not completely invisable like the Z06 would be.

Good luck with your decision and just keep in mind that owning a rare lower level semi-exotic car is a differant ownership experiance than you will get in the Z06. For better or worse depends on you. But it is a differant experiance

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are just using for a weekend toy,you could get collector car insurance. I pay $428. per year for both my vipers.(94 RT/10 and 99 GTS.).Can only drive each 2500 miles per year though,but i will never drive them more because mine are weekend toys also. Full coverage,agreed value 40k for the GTS and 35 for the gen 1.Just depends if you plan on driving more. With me,since i have two it adds up to 5000 a year total driving. May not be for you though. Good luck! Buy a Viper! A great experience!:2tu:

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned a 2002 Z06, 2006 Z06 and now have a 2009 ZR1 plus the 2008 ACR.

Loved all the Vettes but for pure fun go with the Viper. If I had
to give up one of my cars it would be the ZR1.

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned a 2002 Z06, 2006 Z06 and now have a 2009 ZR1 plus the 2008 ACR.

Loved all the Vettes but for pure fun go with the Viper. If I had
to give up one of my cars it would be the ZR1.

After reading this comment, I'm not sure anything more has to be said. I've been a Viper owner for almost a year now, purchased the car with 4,100 miles on her, currently has 6,700 miles. I've read tons of information on this very site including the Alley and after reading this last comment, it all makes sense to me. Drive a Viper and you'll become a believer.

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see just as many vette's on the road as I do civics.... I see more Ferrari's than I do Vipers....

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It’s all been said already, but my experience when buying my 04 SRT10 two years ago goes like this. I pull up to the Dodge dealer to look at the Viper for the fourth time. Well they had moved all the cars next door to their GM dealership for a big sale they were having. The Viper was parked directly in front of the building on a big concrete slab right next to a brand new white Grand Sport Corvette. I have to say the Corvette looked nice, but to me there was no comparison to the killer looks of the pre-owned 04 Viper..... of course the black was very shiny so naturally I had to buy it..... just sayin:D

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get what you have your heart set on. It's just a car - you can always get something else down the road if you change your mind.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently own a C5 z06, Gen 2 RT/10 and a gen 3 SRT, as much as I love my Z06 and it is an awesome car, the viper wins hands down (either gen)

the way I look at it is this, the vette is a "better" all around sports car and more "practical" I.E. better gas milage, comfort, features, bells and whistles, more forgiving BUT the viper has the brute power of that V10 and the looks that NO other car can match, for me, I love the vette but I'd marry the viper

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang