New Member - Info about my RT/10

Dr.Sin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and new to owning a Viper. I picked up an early '93 (first 600 or so) RT/10 in black. Very low miles (under 6K). I was on the phone with a Viper parts dealer ordering some smooth tubes and filters. I told him my year and he said my Viper had the potential to become very collectable in the future. He said to not do any major modifications to the car. I have the external antenna, the battery is mounted on the inside of the frame in the trunk, the finger notch for the gas door is in the quarter panel, etc. Basically just a continuance of the '92 year model. I am aware of the head gasket issue.

How much truth is there that this car will be collectable in the future?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I always stay out of the Viper cost/value arguments...but, if you or your heirs live long enough, it may happen.

That said, I would say that it is YOUR car to do with as you wish. Since Viper's are a blast to drive, I would say give it tender, loving care, and DRIVE IT !!!

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Collectible cars are usually more valuable in original condition. That said, our early Vipers will take more time to really appreciate in value, so drive it and enjoy. If you make any mods, simply keep the stock parts so you can revert back easily.

James

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it and enjoy it!!! Don't save it for someone else to enjoy. Now if you had a few, I could see "collecting" one....but otherwise, have fun! :2tu:

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it...I just got back from a short drive and it was soooooooooooo much fun. Mine just got out of winter hibernation 3 days ago. I've done quite a few mods to mine...I don't care how much my wife/girlfriend/whomever gets for it after I'm dead.

:drive:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's totally collectable!!!

So what?

Drive the $hit out of it so you know what you have! Gen 1 cars are the most awsome 'bare bones' cars out there. A few thousand miles will only bring you pleasure.

Drive it... If you don't like the 'feel' , park it in the garage and start collecting......dust. It'll hold it's value even with a few extra thou. on the clock.

Cheers

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use my 1999 RT-10 for a dry weather daily driver (84,000 miles). I run it on track and have done some mods on it, but I have saved all the stock parts so that many years from now someone can take it back to the way it came from the factory.

For the time being I am not worried about resale and when the time comes the market will be whatever it is. It is nice for you to have an early 93 though as it has a few different features than the later 1993's.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As others have mentioned I say drive her. There is something about these cars that is just intoxicating. :drive:

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking. value, keep it stock, wait another 55 years and sell it at age of 110 at Barret jackson..... for a cool 350.000 bucks.

You must be registered for see images

Only one problem. I wanted to enjoy the car. Like NOW! Not the profits 22 years after my death. After driving it from NC to Dallas I was hooked and screw the 6800 original miles. I have over 55K on it and it is absolute BLAST to drive.

And then this happened... Stock??? Propably not. Return to original? Never.
Happy?? You bet!!!
Keep it until I die? YES!

You must be registered for see images

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm biased owning a very modified 94. If I were to speculate on collector value I'd weigh the 1992's at the top. The 93's being early and 1st full production year are cool but IMO will fall into the 1965/1966 Mustang category where the 1964.5's are basically the same car they have more value.

I targeted the 1994 because of the improvements over the 92/93's & I wanted to modify.

It's a coin toss on value. With the gen1's at 20yrs old now we may start to see indications of collector value in the next 5 or so years. By keeping the miles down and mods to bolt ins you may see slightly more value to a collector, or you may see prices just marginally increase and then kick yourself for not enjoying it.

I've seen several "collector" cars sell at auction for less money than the sticker price on the original monroney still stuck to the windshield - meaning someone bought the car new, kept it in the wrapper, stored it for 15-20 years and then sold it for less than what they bought it for new.

OP
OP
D

Dr.Sin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you all for the info. I have no intentions on mothballing the car. Just wondering about these early '93s. You'd be surprised how many Viper guys don't know that there is a handful of '93s that differ from post-April '93s. This is my first Viper and I still have a lot to learn. So that is why I posted. Again, thanks for everything.

-N.Y.D.W.T.D.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW - I've been at events with 4 '94's lined up side by side, all built within a span of 6 months of each other. No 2 were alike. Different trunk lids, different other molding bits and pieces. Pretty cool actually, like the car was constantly evolving. Not simply each year but on the fly.

Gen1's are a unique beast. I agree most are very in aware of the grass roots nature of this car. Items found in low production hand built foreign cars (I know they were all hand built but you expect more consistency in parts when it comes from Detroit - glad these broke the mold!).

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I do believe in the value of "stock" collectable cars, I have started slowly making changes to my RT that make me happy....example, I like the car with the Mopar style rear spoiler...not exactly stock (as the car was built), but I like the look...so, holes drilled in trunk. I'm very happy with it, but not everyone likes the spoiler, so reduces the "saleability" of the car. My wife convinced me that it doesn't make any difference, to do what I want to since when I die, she's just going to sell it or give it to my son or daughter. :) ( she also said don't save original parts, no space!....I've saved everything except the rear exhaust section)

I'm learning, if it sits in the garage you can't enjoy it.....SO ENJOY IT!

Good luck with your new wheels!

V

Venomiss

For you in case you haven't seen this already.
From the Viper Registry - here are the 1993 Model Year Features:

Black exterior color introduced
Engine production moved to Mound Road Engine Plant
Engine color is a darker shade of red with a flat rough finish.
Motor oil filler cap changed to a threaded cap # 4573497 with "oil filler can" imprint and the valve cover is changed to accept this threaded cap.
Air conditioning added as a dealer installed option
Rocker exhaust covers have clear anti-chip tape on the front and sides in 3 places on both sides.
Plastic stanchion cover on both doors has 4 screws fastening the stanchion cover in place (no clips as on the '92)
Soft top latch holes on windshield frame have molded plastic cap with hole for latch.
Removable rear window has snaps mounted in 3 flexible black leather tabs which snap to fixed snap buttons mounted on the ledge behind the rear seats.
At approx. build date 04/04/93 following changes occurred:
Rear antenna replaced by windshield antenna wire
Battery relocated to left rear fender (side away from fuel filler to make room for BUX rear exit exhaust)
Front caliper lettering changed from "VIPER" to "RT/10"
Reverse lockout added to transmission
Top Material Changed from Vinyl to Cloth
Running Changes:
Fuel filler door access notch moved to fuel filler door instead of being in the body
Rear valance has solid black area below bumper with 6 large vent holes ~ 5 3/8" long x 7/8" high. Four are in the center