New member introduction

Dr. Dirt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all.

I’d like to join the parade of newcomers to the VCA forum. I’ve been lurking since February, but my day is drawing nearer, and the discussion of the Gen V has me pretty worked up, so I’m ready to join. I’m not very big on social media, so I won’t be setting the boards on fire, but I like knowing that I have the opportunity to interact remotely with other enthusiasts. Being a smaller, more exclusive group, I have noticed, as others have noted also, that this board is more friendly and supportive than some of the others dedicated to other makes and models.

I’ve been waiting for fourteen years, with just a few months left to go until I will be looking in earnest for a Viper. My job is in Oklahoma, I’ve been there since 2008, but I travel to Houston and Denver frequently for business. In fact, I’m in the middle of an assignment to Houston right now.

I’ve been a Viper fan since I was a senior in high school and first saw the new-for-1996 Viper GTS. Until that time, I despised all “late models” and was instead devoted to old Mopars; however, the styling of the GTS hit me like a ton of bricks (strangely, the RT/10 never did much for me). I was making $3.80 an hour pumping gas back then and would spend my work shift trying to figure out how many years I’d have to save to buy one. At that rate, I’d probably still be saving. After a “working man’s Ph.D.” and then nine years of college I have the means and my mind is set to buy one, after all, it’s the fulfillment of a dream I’ve harbored for many years. I worked as a mechanic at a Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge/Jeep/Eagle & Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership in a small Kansas town from 1997-1999 and never even saw a Viper in real life until a I saw a GTS at a 1999 car show in Topeka (they were much smaller than I was expecting). Come to think of it, that GTS and an SRT/10 I saw last year are the only Vipers I’ve ever seen outside of magazines and silly TV shows...

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
",,,, and then nine years of college

Dirt,,,are you a brain surgeon?

Really,,,,welcome aboard. Good luck on your upcoming Viper purchase,,nothing like it!

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Dirt, I've only been a member for a week & it's definitely an Awesome Forum with a Bunch of Great & Knowledgeable guys! On lookin for your car, Take your time cause there's alot of them around & the prices are all over the board.

OP
OP
D

Dr. Dirt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

purezen, about those nine years of college, most of those years were concurrent with full-time employment, as I didn't wise up and enter college right off, add in a post-graduate degree and it took quite a while.

As for my shopping list, The idea has been in and out of my head for the last two years, since I got my current job, but I just started thinking about it in earnest earlier this year. I recently contemplated snatching up one of the last 2010s, even though when they debuted, I was disappointed by the smoothed-out shape of the Gen III/IV, you can’t argue with 500/600 horsepower! But I have concluded that I should get what I really wanted, I will be looking for a GTS (for my first one, an Gen V may be next!).

OP
OP
D

Dr. Dirt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been pretty lucky with Viper sightings while here in Houston, though. I saw a Snakeskin Green Gen III/IV on the Gulf Freeway and a B/W Gen III/IV in Galveston all in the same day, doubling my lifetime experience with Vipers! Saw a Silver Gen III/IV at Westheimer and Eldridge, and finally last weekend I was in San Antonio and saw a Silver GTS.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I worked as a mechanic at a Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge/Jeep/Eagle & Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership in a small Kansas town from 1997-1999 and never even saw a Viper in real life until a I saw a GTS at a 1999 car show in Topeka (they were much smaller than I was expecting). Come to think of it, that GTS and an SRT/10 I saw last year are the only Vipers I’ve ever seen outside of magazines and silly TV shows...

Man, you need to get out more and come to some of the meets!! LOL...Welcome to the board though and good luck with your hunt!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960