new member!!! need some tech help!

limige

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello everyone, i'm new to the forum! my name is mike and i recently got a viper engine.

i'm having trouble finding info on this motor. i don't know a ton about dodge, i've always been a big chevy guy, but i must say, i've always been a fan of the viper and it's V10.

i've found out what i have is a gen 3 block, heads and intake. i've found some info on it, like the bore/stroke change in '03. do the gen 3 motors use cast or forged pistons? forged rods right? are they common to any other chrysler engine or viper specific?

where can i find rebuilding specs? crankshaft journel sizes, rod bore sizes, torque settings ect.?

many are going to dispise my project i know, but i'm a fan of drag racing and i see a huge potential in this! i plan on fitting the v10 into my 4th gen camaro. the weight of the camaro is close to the viper, i've already upgraded the rearend and plan to buy a moly shaft shortly. i'm going to be rebuilding my t56 this year as well. still not sure what kind of clutch i'm going to use or what fuel management system.

i'm looking for many parts, i need a stock camshaft, forged pistons/rods, valvetrain, timing set, valve covers ect.

what size injectors come stock on the V10?

i'd appreciate any and all help you guys could lend. this is not a project i expect to happen right away but will take some time and planning. i want something unique, fun, and fast. i figure i should be able to get around 700hp without really straining the engine, which in the z should put me into the 10's if not 9's.

thanks,
mike

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: new member!!! need some tech help!

At least your Camaro has the heart of a champion!!!

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mike,
I may be able to help you out. I am finishing a srt 10 that I installed 1.7 rockers and full exhaust on and the customer may want to get rid of the stock arms and exhaust manifolds. I have multiple sets of gen 2 valve covers ( they will fit )and misc engine parts. I am not sure if any of the gen 2 and 3 internal parts will interchange. I know somebody that has a gen 3 intake and harness that will sell if that helps. Let me know.
Later,
Joe

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think a T56 in a Camaro is the same thing as a Viper trans. I believe the Viper trans is a little stronger.

You might find the engine book on Ebay. I know the gen1 and gen2 books are available there. Same with gen1 and gen2 engine parts.

From what you said, it look's like you have just block, heads and intake. It may just turn out that buying all the parts and pieces to make yourself a gen3 engine from what you have in hand, might cost more than buying a complete running gen2 used engine.
It ain't no chevy and Viper parts are expensive.

Your project sounds like it will produce a unique Camaro. I think it will be fun and fast.

That being said, you could probably go faster for lots less money if you use a big block V8. Of course, there goes the unique.
Good luck.

OP
OP
L

limige

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks for the input guys!

pbj, the pistons and rods are different for the gen 3's. i have the intake but i may be interested in the rockers, valve covers and maybe harness. drop me an email when you know for sure if he wants to dump them.

well right now i'm in the process of setting my LT1 up for nitrous, all i need is an elec. water pump, and headers to finish that motor.

in the meanwhile i'm hoping i can hang around and learn some. picking up stock peices as you guys decide to upgrade. by doing this i beleive i can put the motor together for a decent price. yes it would be easier and maybe cheaper to go with a standard chevy motor but i've always dreamed of having a viper and i think this is as close as i'm gonna get unless my business plans take more than i expect.

joe117, i'll have to watch for the gen 1's and 2's, i could use the gen 3 heads to make a sweat peice. you right, from my understanding the viper use the tremec t56 right? whereas the camaro's use a borg & warner piece. luckily D&D performance is nearby and they stock upgrades for the t56 including what they call the viper output shaft. a local guy is doing 9 seconds in a bored out LT1 6 speed and he uses their stuff. so i'm confident i can use mine i just have to find a viper bellhousing and make an adaptor plate if needed.

well i appreciate your support, many people won't understand but hey it's for me anyway, and i'm gonna love it!

thanks again, and drop me an email if you have any spare parts you may be willing to let go.

ttl,
mike

OP
OP
L

limige

Enthusiast
Reaction score

joe, what did you find out? does he want to sell any of those parts?
here's my beast lying in wait!
my viper v10