New Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tire Sizes - Gen 3

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I now see that Michelin sells the Super Sport tires in the OEM sizes for a Gen 3.

From TireRack
275/35r18 $295.00
345/30r19 $537.00

Anyone installed these yet that have comments compared to the PS2?

I have a new set of wheels that will be chromed and was going to have a set of these tires dropped shipped to them for install before shipping the wheels back to me.

My current stock wheels has PS2's on them and will sell that set when I get the new rims on the car.

Thoughts?

Thanks...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a side-by-side from Motor Trend on the PSS vs PS2 - good reading and clearly the PSS is a better all around tire:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/...g_the_michelin_pilot_super_sport/viewall.html

Luke listed all the prices from Tire Rack here and it also has some good "local" commentary from Viper owners on the tires themselves:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/650799-PilotSuper-Sport-pricing-has-been-released

And one of the club sponsors apparently has a special deal for the full set here:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/650814-Michelin-Pilot-Super-Sport-for-Gen-3-amp-4-Vipers

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be reporting on them soon, should have my wheel/tire setup on the car within a month ... I think.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those look great I know what I'm getting when the cups wear out.

OP
OP
rhallman

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed Viper Parts of America only had the 285 front tires listed. Ill check with them later today, unles they reply to this thread, if they can get the 275 front tire.

OP
OP
rhallman

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disregard....Looks like the VPA site was just updated with the 275 front tires...$1495 shipped. Killer deal!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha, talk about timing, I put these in my cart @ tirerack this weekend so I'd have this on the computer to wrap up today, pull it up to make the forum vendor rounds & bingo ... great deal at the VPA boys. Love it when a great forum & car community works so well. Ka-ching, tires on da way.

Dave.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have them on my m3.....great tire so far compared to the continental sports that were also a great tire except tread ware was horrible even for a summer only performance tire. ( the continental tread ware was horrible)

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I notice there is not a 295x18. Would that be much of an issue on an ACR?

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the benefit of a 285/35/18 compared to a 275/35/18 for the front (and the other way around)?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ask this very question to a friend who is the Viper Vehicle Dynamics engineer. Here's what he said - "mounting it on a 10” wide wheel (a little narrow), and the steering response will likely be poor. It will also likely require more front negative camber or the car will push more."

limitless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i thought that was the acr tire size wasent aware the camber was diff then standard viper has a good point though

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Would have to disagree with using a 285 as many of us have gone up a size or two and it gets rid of some of the push and steering response many feel is better. The answer also lies in the ACR which goes to a 295 as noted.

Years back everyone in Viper Days switched to a slightly larger tire for just this reason, and we were told by some of the engineers then that the small tire induced some push, but they wanted a bit of that in the car.

OP
OP
rhallman

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew I should have ordered my tires when they were posted on VPA. Im getting back my chromed H wheels in the next week and was going to order the tires but they are no longer listed at Viper Parts of America. I emailed them last night to see whats up since $1495 shipped was a great deal.

Rich

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got mine from VPA, what an awesome vendor. UPS glitched my order & Jerry at VPA had me taken care as fast as it takes an email to cross the internet. Gotta love our vendor community.

Still sitting in my garage, they look great, waiting on TPS to arrive in the next day or two so I can assemble my new setup and get them on the car. Will report back on how they are compared to my PS2's.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I got the last set with the 285 fronts from VPA. Actually they had ran out of the rears but still guaranteed me a set when they get them at the old price.

I'm excited, although a bit nervous that the PS2s may perform better. Not sure though.

OP
OP
rhallman

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure of where the stock issues are if they are being shipped direct from Michelin. Found parts rack has these for $1549 plus shipping so far.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure of where the stock issues are if they are being shipped direct from Michelin. Found parts rack has these for $1549 plus shipping so far.

I have a Tire Rack Wholesale account. While I can get them for literally 20 bucks cheaper than VPA, I'd have to drive and pick them up. Too much of a pain.

OP
OP
rhallman

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the tire rack warehouse here in Reno but wold need to pay tax. But that may be ok if I can get the same price. Thanks....

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the tire rack warehouse here in Reno but wold need to pay tax. But that may be ok if I can get the same price. Thanks....

I'm also in Delaware so I don't pay tax. And you also can't just go to the warehouse unless you have an account with them. We spend a few thousand a year in tires.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my super sport last week at discount tr out the door for 1535.00. The super sports are so much better than the p2 I love them.