New oil filter brought oil pressure way up!

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I recently changed the oil in my '03 and replaced the Mopar filter with the new Mopar performance one (the one with Viper logo on it). Now the oil pressure is almost always around 75-80 psi. Is that too high? I know oil pressure is good and all.....but.....does too HIGH an oil pressure put unnecessary strain on the engine? :dunno:

It seems my oil pressure was about 65 psi before the new filter. I read on the forums that the new oil filter increases oil pressure. Should I go back to using the standard oil filters or enjoy the high pressure???

And before anyone asks, I am using the same weight of synthetic oil before and after the new filter.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't installed the new Viper filter on my GEN II car yet, bought a few from Chuck so next oil change I will. Wonder if has same effect on GEN II cars?

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you are referring to cavitation at the pan, no.

ok i guess im just confused with the whole oil pressure problem our cars have.what im getting is that the rod bearings might suffer if they done get eneough oil to them.But with the new oil pan or upgraded swing arm it fixes this.this is also just if you track your car to right?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ok i guess im just confused with the whole oil pressure problem our cars have.what im getting is that the rod bearings might suffer if they done get eneough oil to them.But with the new oil pan or upgraded swing arm it fixes this.this is also just if you track your car to right?

The arm swings with centrifugal forces, left and right...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone will have to say where the oil pressure sending unit in Gen 3/4 is....

If the pressure is measured after the filter, then the filter is less restrictive and the higher pressure indicates the potential for higher oil flow throughout the engine. Good.

If the pressure is measured before the filter, then the filter is more restrictive and is a "plug." If the oil can't go anywhere, it will read higher pressure, but less flow throughout the engine. Bad.

In my Gen 1 I have drilled extra inlet holes in a filter (the smaller ones around the large center are the inlet, stuff is trapped on the outside of the pleated filter media, and travels back into the engine via the large center hole). This resulted in increased oil pressure ~5 lbs on the OEM gauge. So my first reaction is that "normal" oil filters are restrictions...

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Assuming you use the same grad/weight/viscosity oil the reason the oil pressure is higher is because new oil is not sheared down, that is the old oil becomes less viscous with use.....

Someone will have to say where the oil pressure sending unit in Gen 3/4 is....

If the pressure is measured after the filter, then the filter is less restrictive and the higher pressure indicates the potential for higher oil flow throughout the engine. Good.

If the pressure is measured before the filter, then the filter is more restrictive and is a "plug." If the oil can't go anywhere, it will read higher pressure, but less flow throughout the engine. Bad.

In my Gen 1 I have drilled extra inlet holes in a filter (the smaller ones around the large center are the inlet, stuff is trapped on the outside of the pleated filter media, and travels back into the engine via the large center hole). This resulted in increased oil pressure ~5 lbs on the OEM gauge. So my first reaction is that "normal" oil filters are restrictions...

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one on my '01 RT/10 and noticed the oil pressure was up a little bit.
I haven't installed the new Viper filter on my GEN II car yet, bought a few from Chuck so next oil change I will. Wonder if has same effect on GEN II cars?