New Owner 98 GTS... Thank You

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to thank everyone here who helped me out on this... Some Great Folks here...

I've wanted one of these cars since I laid eyes on the first early ones back in 93 and now it's in the garage.

The Viper experience started immediately. There was no way that the driver could get that huge rig down into my culdesac so we unloaded in a lighted office parking lot next to a church about a mile away at 9:30 pm. Just as I pulled it under the lights to do the shipping inspection a church meeting or prayer group let out and about 15 people came across the parking lot and started complimenting the car and asking me to take a few laps around the parking lot...:dunno::lmao::drive::headbang::2tu:

I am just floored by this thing... Rolling art and Music...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Wedge500

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:2tu: Congrats on the purchase!!!!!

I picked mine up in August and I think I like your taste :D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats and enjoy...youre gonna be getting blamed for a lot of stuff in NNJ... :)

what going on with those TB's ? look different to me. but hard to see in the pic (maybe its the air intake tubes)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats and enjoy...youre gonna be getting blamed for a lot of stuff in NNJ... :)

He better slap some stripes on that car quick, there's another silver GTS that terrorizes that area.
Cops have been looking for him for years. ;)

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice and congrats. Glad it worked out for you.

That thing looks brand new. :smokin:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a sweet car and congrats on the purchase! I don't want to put any thoughts of fear in your mind, but I've seen enough of these cars to notice the littlest things that might be noteworthy. Did it ever have any work done on the fascia or hood? This might be something as simple as a hood adjustment, but the gap between the fascia and hood doesn't look as tight as it should be, especially on the passenger side. It might just need to be adjusted, or it might just be the lighting in the pictures - or it might have had some work done where the fascia and/or hood weren't reinstalled as tight as they should be.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great choice. I had a silver 98 GTS, but I had to have the convertible and make sure everyone could see me coming for miles, and thus I now have a YELLOW 2001 RT/10. I heard yellow was the fastest also, but I didn't believe them... :drive:

Congrats and enjoy!!! :2tu: (I also was admiring the snow plow)

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did it ever have any work done on the fascia or hood? This might be something as simple as a hood adjustment, but the gap between the fascia and hood doesn't look as tight as it should be, especially on the passenger side.
My eyes might be bad but that looks like a gen 1 front fascia. Check the pics in the media gallery. Gen 2 has a sharper bottom lip and protrudes a little farther out. That car I bet has some interesting history. Viper GTS Decals on the right and left side of the hood are to far up also!

Last edited:

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My eyes might be bad but that looks like a gen 1 front fascia. Check the pics in the media gallery. Gen 2 has a sharper bottom lip and protrudes a little farther out. That car I bet has some interesting history. Viper GTS Decals on the right and left side of the hood are to far up also!

You are correct, that's an Gen I RT/10 bumper for sure!

Congrats on the car!

--RS

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your eyes are fine. Open a second window and put the two cars in this thread next to each other and compare the bottom sides of the fascia. It is easy to notice what I call "wings" (that get all scratched up from abuse) on the ends of the bottom part of the front fascia on the one posted by Wedge 500. The Gen 1 went straight back smooth without the "wings". I'm not trying to pile on here, I just wanted to check also. Looks great either way! By the way, I probably would not have noticed had I been looking at the car and I'm on my 3rd Viper, so don't feel bad.

I would just hope that the front frame is not bent. I would take it back to the dealer and put it up on a lift and inspect the frame and then ask the dealer for some $$ for the issue. It can't hurt. If it is a dealer who is not familiar with Vipers, they may not have even noticed or known about it, but I would put them on the spot and ask for some compensation of some sort. If you like it the way it is, forget my post and be happy, have fun, and be safe! Good luck.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car was thoroughly inspected by a Viper Tech and I was aware that there was some repair work up front but everything checked out structurally and the rest of car also checked out but nobody caught the bumper cover replacement... Car does have a clear title so it must have been fixed without insurance... There was one other issue with the car with some discoloration on the right sill but having looked at it myself now it just appears to be heat related...

I'm still thrilled with the car and I guess I have a 1 of 1..:drive: It actually gives it a nice clean appearance IMO... I'm almost thinking it could be one of the reasons I was drawn to the car. Without saying too much I can tell you that in 8 months of shopping I'm quite pleased with the overall deal but like with any used purchase time will tell.

Your eyes are fine. Open a second window and put the two cars in this thread next to each other and compare the bottom sides of the fascia. It is easy to notice what I call "wings" (that get all scratched up from abuse) on the ends of the bottom part of the front fascia on the one posted by Wedge 500. The Gen 1 went straight back smooth without the "wings". I'm not trying to pile on here, I just wanted to check also. Looks great either way! By the way, I probably would not have noticed had I been looking at the car and I'm on my 3rd Viper, so don't feel bad.

I would just hope that the front frame is not bent. I would take it back to the dealer and put it up on a lift and inspect the frame and then ask the dealer for some $$ for the issue. It can't hurt. If it is a dealer who is not familiar with Vipers, they may not have even noticed or known about it, but I would put them on the spot and ask for some compensation of some sort. If you like it the way it is, forget my post and be happy, have fun, and be safe! Good luck.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill get back to you later. If I get time tomorrow we can compare 2 silver gts's side by side.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised a Gen I fascia would fit that well on a Gen II - I thought they were different enough that they weren't interchangeable. There are some minor differences between the two. The most notable to me is the Gen I fascia has a bit of an 'overbite' when you look at it from the side, and the Gen II has an 'underbite'. In other words, the Gen II chin sticks out a little farther. The spoiler extensions are also there on the Gen II and not on the Gen I. That was a good catch by Hoosier - most people never would have caught that.

As long as there wasn't any frame damage, and you're not hung up on keeping the car 100% correct, it'll drive just the same and you'll enjoy it just the same. Any way you slice it, it's a fantastic looking car and if you got a good deal on it, you're doing fine.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car was thoroughly inspected by a Viper Tech and I was aware that there was some repair work up front but everything checked out structurally and the rest of car also checked out but nobody caught the bumper cover replacement... Car does have a clear title so it must have been fixed without insurance... There was one other issue with the car with some discoloration on the right sill but having looked at it myself now it just appears to be heat related...

I'm still thrilled with the car and I guess I have a 1 of 1..:drive: It actually gives it a nice clean appearance IMO... I'm almost thinking it could be one of the reasons I was drawn to the car. Without saying too much I can tell you that in 8 months of shopping I'm quite pleased with the overall deal but like with any used purchase time will tell.

Great news. There is a nice side benefit with the Gen 1 front. You do not have to worry about all the scratches that the Gen 2 fascia catches on the lower sides because they stick out. Also, that piece has a plastic cover from the factory that gets all messed up with chips, etc. and is not cheap to replace. So, you won't have that to worry about. I wish I had a Gen 1 front because of that issue. I love your car and I think it looks great with the Gen 1 front. I am glad it is not damaged!!! Enjoy your 1 of 1 Viper! By the way, what year is it? I had a 98 silver, but it had the original Gen 2 wheels like Wedge 500's, and you have the dish wheels. Have fun and enjoy!!! :)

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what are dish wheels ?
Great news. There is a nice side benefit with the Gen 1 front. You do not have to worry about all the scratches that the Gen 2 fascia catches on the lower sides because they stick out. Also, that piece has a plastic cover from the factory that gets all messed up with chips, etc. and is not cheap to replace. So, you won't have that to worry about. I wish I had a Gen 1 front because of that issue. I love your car and I think it looks great with the Gen 1 front. I am glad it is not damaged!!! Enjoy your 1 of 1 Viper! By the way, what year is it? I had a 98 silver, but it had the original Gen 2 wheels like Wedge 500's, and you have the dish wheels. Have fun and enjoy!!! :)

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on the purchase!
Now you need to make one more purchase to enhance the ownership of that bad boy!

A membership from the VCA!

Hope to meet you at one of the events this year

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala