New owner: a few questions looking for advice

Bennett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to the viper group I just got my 1998 viper gts about 3 months ago. I've got two questions I hope you guys can help me with.
First I've noticed this is a pretty common issue looking at other photos of vipers, and yes I've used search and wasn't able to find a clear answer. But my car has a pretty large hood gap on the left and right front corners along bumper, anyone have some advice on fixing this issue?
Second is whenever I wash my car my passenger side floor will get wet. I'm not sure if there is a water passage that is blocked or what's going on? Anyone have some advice on this as well?
I really appreciate everyone's help on the board, can't wait to get more involved in the viper group!

Sainthitch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe i may be able to help answer....but dont take me as 100% correct.

a) hood gap-really no way to fix it. The vipers fit and finish is not exactly perfect. you can move the hood around a little to make it smaller, but never get rid of it unless you do some fiberglass work.

b) water issue- i think the GEN II may be the same as the GEN I with this. the front "speaker" cover on the hood which is actually the air intake for your heating and cooling system can allow water in. I think there is a gasket or something that can cause leaking....pretty sure there are a few threads about it.

Hope that helps somewhat. I am sure someone else may have exact 100% answers for you.

Welcome none the less and you should look at becoming a full member to get access to all the other forums. helped me a lot as a new viper owner.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome, The hood gap can be fixed by shimming the front facia and/or headlights...Most Gen IIs have some sort of gap and most just live with it. I'm not sure about your wet floor issue, I've never had that before. Post up some pics of your ride!

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood gap I find is due to how you close the hood. Apply equal pressure to both hands when closing it and it should close fine with zero gap. That is if the Viper has never been in an accident.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
7TH_SIGN:3142721 said:
The hood gap I find is due to how you close the hood. Apply equal pressure to both hands when closing it and it should close fine with zero gap. That is if the Viper has never been in an accident.
True if not closed right the hood will have a larger gap than normal, but Zero Gap on a Gen 2? Please post pics of your zero gap factory fit hood. My car is a 2 owner 97 with hood gap and no accidents or repairs whatsoever. The Gen 1 and Gen 2 hoods all have gap from the factory, part of the hand built mystique. Some more than others. I'm sure many owners would like to see the zero gap hood unicorn, loch ness monster, fountain of youth Viper you have.

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Agreed. I had the same issue and its all about how you close it. Looks perfect now :)

OP
OP
B

Bennett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the info you guys! I'll have to make sure I am shutting my hood down with equal pressure. And I'll search some more about the water issue. I'll post some photos as soon as I can. I'm from Utah and we have about a foot of snow right now so the viper is just sitting in the heated garage for a while now. Looking for a set of wheels if anyone's looking to sell there? Looking for something with a lip :)
Thanks again!

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome, Bennet

In addition to what was said about the hood being closed correctly, and keeping in mind that the Viper is a hand-built car, you also have a couple other options. Depending on how bad your gap is you will see four bolts holding the two hood hinges in place. You can loosen these four bolts and move the bracket around slightly to adjust the hood. Just make sure you mark the bolts/location before you start loosening them so you have some reference and can return it the starting position if need be! Also be aware that you have black rubber hood stoppers located near the front of your engine bay. You can twist them up and down to adjust the hood, but unless you mess with the hood hinges be careful you dont bend the hood by just messing with the stoppers. I started with my hood stoppers and got a perfect fit, but ended up adjusting the hood hinges after to take the stress off the stoppers...no problems since.

Oh yeah, make sure one or more of your hood stoppers isn't just too high before anything else

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some things that have not been said yet about the hood and hood gap and closing the hood.

The proper placement for your hands to close the hood is NOT at the front of the hood by the nose. It is about 6" inside each hood louver, toward the forward edge. Look at where the hinges attach on the other side. That is where you want you hands. I do go slightly forward of that to the forward edge of the louver (but 6" inward), but think about this... The resistance to the hood closing is the springs on the hinges. So push on the hinge, not a plastic lever 2 ft out. I mean, the front of the hood ;) Anyway, I stop right at the point the latches are about to catch, and then give it a firm push.

Spraying the latches with a little WD40 will help immensely with them snapping closed. Do not however lube the hood hinges themselves. Just the latches by the nose.

Things to look at in regards to where the hood stops when it closes at the front are yes, the bumpers, but just as importantly, the latches. The latches can be shimmed up and down, and major changes in the bumpers should be accompanied by an adjustment to the latches. Otherwise you're going to stress the latch area of the hood.

The hinges and latches both mount to the steel frame of the car. The nose, or fascia, or bumper cover, mounts to a large piece of glass reinforced plastic the entire width of the car, known as the core support. That big piece is shimmed to the top of the lower front frame horns. Moving it up and down moves the bulk of the nose up and down, like at the wheel openings. Like where the hood gap is most noticed. That is not a 5 minute job to adjust the core support to the frame.

The edge of the nose where it meets the hood, in between the headlights, can be adjusted up and down a bit by shimming it to the bumper reinforcement bar aka rebar. The rebar is a big piece of green structural fiberglass that after the nose gets scuffed in an impact, it gets crushed next. With the hood open, you can see the factory black push in pins that attach the bumper cover to the rebar. You may or may not be able to see any shimming.

The headlights can also be shimmed to fit the opening better, but please note that the gap above the headlight is by design, to allow air in that exits the louvers above the wheel wells. Closing that gap as I know some have done, will affect your aero balance and possibly engine temps by a bit. It is best to leave that gap alone unless you are a poser and never drive fast.

Your water leakage issue could be coming from the seals at the heater core area above the passenger footwell. With the hood open, right in front of the windshield is the heat and AC. On top of it should be a couple small hoses that go into the car. Look for cracked rubber there. If so, you should be able to fix that with some silicone. Just be careful not to smear it all over.

Back to the way the car is built, you can see in this pic the bracket at top front frame rail. On top is where the hinges and latches mount. On the front face of that bracket is where the rebar goes.

You must be registered for see images

In this broader view, the lower front frame rails is what the core support sits on. That is where it is shimmed, and that is where you should adjust the nose to the hood. Adjusting the hood to the nose is different just to clarify.

Here is the core support sitting in front of the car uninstalled.

Here it is on the car. Notice the wheel well area. You have to move that big hunk of black plastic up or down to make the nose fit the hood, as there is not any adjustment between the bumper cover and the core support in that area. Once again, the procedure to fit the hood to the bumper is different.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21