New owner! Gas smell question

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, just pulled it into my garage. Loving it so far! I will make a new thread with pictures soon. First question is my garage is now filled with a pretty strong smell of unburnt gas. It's not a hard gas smell, but it's not a full exhaust smell either, it's in the middle. Any ideas?

Thanks guys, fulfilled a life milestone today.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
While one is tempted to go with your description of "unburnt gas. It's not a hard gas smell, but it's not a full exhaust smell "...and head down the usual diagnostic path...I would check for obvious gas leaks FIRST in the name of safety. To start with, check under the car for drips, pop hood and turn ignition to on but DON'T START engine...then inspect engine bay for leaks with system pressurized...including injectors, rails, Schrader valve, fuel line connection onto flex hose to manifold, etc. Then look under left rear for drips from fuel filter. After proving me wrong here, shut off ignition. There have been a few filler hoses that partially separated from tank as well but that will take more checking than possible at home.

While others may disagree, I would not start this car inside your garage without a fire extinguisher handy (yes, I keep one in each Viper).

And now...onward toward your suggested diagnosis...your Viper is likely running rich due to bad plugs, old wires, failing O2 sensors, stuck
injector, etc. You may be dealing with a bad cat as well. Be sure that you didn't miss a check engine light (also be sure it works on start-up). If you have a code reader, hook it up to see if anything shows up yet.

Sounds like a check-up by a Dodge dealer with proper scan tools would be in order.

Sorry that I can't help further...but I am sure others will add/subtract to/from the above points.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UGH. Here we go again.... Year, model? .... Gas smell is bad. It's best if you pull in and smell burnt tire rubber!

OP
OP
V

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, it wasn't quite tire rubber I think, but I did just finish driving 3.5 hrs. I need to look underneath the hood too, maybe there's some oil breather tubes on there that are just venting. Not sure. I also sent a note to the previous owner too (who was awesome btw), I just haven't had a chance to do much of anything else as my buddy and I have been in the garage staring at the car, talking about how to deck out the garage now to look like a showroom, etc. Smell is gone now.

Lovin it....

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd see if the smell happens again.. as you mentioned, you just finished driving 3.5 hrs. that was probabaly a shock to your viper that may only be "on" for 3.5 hrs a year for the past 15 yeras. lol

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Happy to hear that the "unburnt gas" smell is gone...though that would NOT change my advice as written above.

I had already noted from your previous post stating "97 GTS B/W mint with 27k miles and serviced by Tator" before I wrote my response.

Gasoline smell ALWAYS gets my immediate attention...but, admittedly, not everyone reacts the same way.

Happy Vipering !!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang