New owner

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picked up new 2010 SRT today. Blue with white stripe. Incredible. Traded 2009 Z06. The car is beautiful. Raw, loud. Proud to be a part of this Viper family.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picked up new 2010 SRT today. Blue with white stripe. Incredible. Traded 2009 Z06. The car is beautiful. Raw, loud. Proud to be a part of this Viper family.

OK, now, one thing that I have yet to see is a viper with a bike on a roof rack. ( Just sayin.... )

Congrats on the new baby !

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase!

I traded in my 2009 Z06 a few months ago for a 2010 Viper. 4 months and 3800 miles later, and I still think it was a great decision. :)

Last edited:

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, now, one thing that I have yet to see is a viper with a bike on a roof rack. ( Just sayin.... )

I put my trunk rack on the viper with my cervelo mounted on it. Looked pretty cool :)

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats on the new baby !

Funny. I could fit the bike in the back of the Z, but not in the Viper *(&^&^$#. But who cares!!!

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase!

I traded in my 2009 Z06 a few months ago for a 2010 Viper. 4 months and 3800 miles later, and I still think it was a great decision. :)

I have only put 80 miles on, so I can't really judge, but what I notice so far is that the Viper handles differently; Z seemed more sprite, but Viper feels more solid. Rides bumps better and has a more refined (not so squirly, although that's not really the proper way to describe the Z) feel to the steering and suspension input/feedback.

The Z seemed to engage its torque at lower end, but then again I am breaking the Viper in and have not gone past 4000 RPMs so I have no idea what it really feels like :)

I know I made a great decision every time I open the kitchen door and look in the garage.

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some pictures of the car. From sales website. I will take more pictures after I clean it up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Z seemed to engage its torque at lower end, but then again I am breaking the Viper in and have not gone past 4000 RPMs so I have no idea what it really feels like :)

4000 RPMs is just where the fun begins...I'm all for breaking things in properly, but you have more will power than I would.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, 4k is where the fun begins, its a learning curve for sure! 2nd gear @ 60mph = grin factor.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the new toy. I'm surprised that blue/white took so long to sell, Tomball had it for a long time. Best Viper color combo.

Tony

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the warm reception!

I too was surprised the B/W was still available, and I busted my tail to get the deal closed as fast I could.

And, yes, I get the feeling that the fun starts at 4K RPMs....looking forward to experiencing it (but with sensible trepidation of course).

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a sort of dumb question...I am a noob after all.

Why do the Vette guys refer to the motor in this car as a truck motor? Is that meant to be derogatory?

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The original V-10 was initially developed for use in the Ram. When the Viper needed a worthy powerplant, they sourced the V-10. Unique features of the Viper version included a low-profile cross-ram intake with dual throttle bodies, the manifolds, oil pan, heads, and accessory drive; the compression ratio was raised, the pistons lightened, the maximum engine speed increased, the valves enlarged, the rods and crank strengthened. In the end, few components were shared with the truck engine. In 2003 the Viper received a revised 8.3L powerplant. Dodge also produced a SRT10 Ram variant that shared all the basic components of the Viper 8.3L V-10, however this time the 8.3L was designed for the Viper and not visa versa.

Why do the Vette guys refer to the motor in this car as a truck motor? Is that meant to be derogatory?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay that was informative. I appreciate the detailed response.

So, got my first ticket tonight. A Dodge Ram truck came whizzing by me and I got in behind him. We both got pulled over. Cop was smirky, loved taking two on one hook. Oh well. You gonna play you gonna pay!

On other thing. This car corners like I can't believe. I went to one of my favorite windy roads and kept struggling with oversteer, not because I was on the throttle and letting the back end come around, but because I am used to driving the Z06 and this thing is so different. I just couldn't believe it was gripping and turning in the corners so well. It was almost scary.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And the final answer is.........................probably some of the above and this!

The reference is a derogatory one. The reason is because of the unique note that the Viper engine has. The sound produced is one that comes from the odd fire V-10 configuration. Many people say it sounds like a UPS truck. I can honestly say it's my least favorite part of a stock Viper. Note I did say "Stock" , you can't eliminate that odd fire sound but you can certainly make it healthier. The Gen I Viper V-10 was developed by Chrysler and lamborghini. There is an article about the Viper V-10 development in one of the past issues of Viper Magazine.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A word to the wise here. Don't drive it like a Z-06, seriously the way the torque comes on is different. You have to wind the Vette engines, let the Viper engine pull through the gears. You don't want to rev it up to a point then stand on it like the Corvette. Be very careful cause it's waiting to bite you, trust me on this one. I laughed when other people warned me............. Mine did it one night, I launched it in first and second and it hooked hard and straight..........slammed it in third and it came all the around on me.

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the final answer is.........................probably some of the above and this!

The reference is a derogatory one. The reason is because of the unique note that the Viper engine has. The sound produced is one that comes from the odd fire V-10 configuration. Many people say it sounds like a UPS truck. I can honestly say it's my least favorite part of a stock Viper. Note I did say "Stock" , you can't eliminate that odd fire sound but you can certainly make it healthier. The Gen I Viper V-10 was developed by Chrysler and lamborghini. There is an article about the Viper V-10 development in one of the past issues of Viper Magazine.

Yes. I assumed it was meant to be derogatory. Too bad, for I love both cars. But, I must say this Viper is so different, much more so than I anticipated. And, actually while I do agree it sounds like a truck, I like the sound, it is raw and powerful. And the occasional backfires are friggin great. Maybe I will get a Belanger upgrade down the road, but for now quite content to listen to its natural sound.
Now I just need a radar detector. The car goes to 120 before I think I am even doing 70 (slight exageration)