NEW PAINT car care?

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys by Monday I should have a newly painted red rt10.My 02 is at the shop right now for other things and while it is there they are painting the entire car.

What is the first thing I should do once I get it back? clay or just wax and seal? no idea... thanks! Kevin.

p.s.- same stock color of viper red.:drive:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didnt you just have it wet sanded... maybe that was someone else.

I think you should be good with just a bunch of wax and buff. Take a plastic zip lock bag and put your hand in it. Run your hand over the paint and if it feels rough or sandy then clay bar it. It should be smooth from the shop.

:usa:

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you had the car painted you should NOT do ANYTHING to it for a few weeks to a few months. The paint needs time to finnish hardening. Because they cant bake the whole car, it needs time to harden. Wash it if you must but no wax! The paint needs to be exposed to the air. Treat it with kid gloves and after 2 to 3 months have it wet sanded then wax to your hearts content.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always read a number of comflicting opinions on how long you should let new paint cure before applying a wax or selant. The majority of opinions are usually that you should wait at least 30 days.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The paint is Not fully cured

NO WAX for the first 30-60 days

After getting my facia done my shop told me No wax for 60 days. I left her out in the sun on a couple hot sunny days to help speed up the curing process. After 30days i begain using quick detailer(which leaves a thin layer of wax) then after 60 i gave her a nice coat of synthetic wax aka sealant.

O yea, same thing with that 3M clearbra stuff. I'd definatly wait for 60days before applying any of that since it will not allow the fresh paint to breath(gas out) at all.

Check out this for more info:
Paint Needs to Breathe - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang