New Platform Dimensions for Next Generation Viper

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw the new Firepower concept out at the LA Auto Show last week. Nice looking rig that seemed to be getting a fair amount of attention. Since it will be sharing the same platform as the next generation Viper, the new dimensions are as follows. The Viper platform will have the same wheelbase as the current SRT-10 at 98.8”. The front track will increase from 57.8” to 61.6”. The rear track will go from 60.9” to 60.6”. Proportionally, the car should be fairly similar to the current model with some widening in the front.

Frankly, I think if Dodge would like to build an awesome looking vehicle they should increase these dimensions to mirror of those the automobile that I feel has the finest proportions of any other in the world, the Lamborghini Murcielago. The Gallardo looked like a stubby toy next to the Murci at the auto show. The SRT already has wider tires than the Murci (345s vs. 335s), but the Lambo has a wheelbase of 104.92” and a front and rear track of 64.37” and 66.73” respectively. Maybe “Chorps” can pass this feedback along to the factory. ;-)

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am VERY pleased the current dimensions, relatively short (bacically '63-'82 Corvette) wheelbase and not so wide as to take excessive lane space. Much wider and it would become a pain to drive on fast two lanes.

OP
OP
B

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Lambo Murci and the Ferrari Enzo are 5 inches wider than the SRT-10 (80” vs. 75”). These same two cars have a wheel base one inch shorter than a C6 Corvette (104”). An 80” width is the magic number for super car status. Any increase from 75” toward that number would lower the center of gravity and improve performance, assuming an increase in front and rear tracking. The looks would be awesome based on proportion alone.

If Dodge is serious about a 600+ HP platform, this is a good idea.

OP
OP
B

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I think I have a compromise. We borrow the front and rear track from the Dodge Charger of 63” on both. This allows us to stretch the width to approximately 78” and still gives us a great super car look. Now Bill P. can ship his Vipers everywhere as long he can find someone skinny enough to drive them unto the trailer. :)

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An 80” width is the magic number for super car status. Any increase from 75” toward that number would lower the center of gravity and improve performance, assuming an increase in front and rear tracking.

Changing the car's width has ZERO effect the CG height. :bonker:

OP
OP
B

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changing the car's width has ZERO effect the CG height.

Dean: You forced me to do a little research and you are correct about the CG height remaining the same with an increase in front/rear track. I was correct, however, about the improved performance (cornering) and I now know why. Thanks man!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4