!!! NEW !!! Proposed Drag Race Event..........

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All,

In view of the recent turn of events regarding the "Powerfest" and the controversy surrounding this event, I'd like to offer an alternative event to be held in Florida. I hope that the Powerfest takes place, but if it does not or for those who would like to attend, here is what I propose and the cost breakdown.
Your feedback will determine if we have this event.

THIS EVENT WILL HAVE A CASH PAYOUT!!

Heads up Racing on the 1/4 Mile at Desoto Motorsports Park in Bradenton Florida. Great weather and easy Tech inspection. Only 1.5 hours drive to Disney and the Orlando Attractions. Only 15 minutes to Sarasota and the Gulf Beaches

CLASSES:

STOCK: This is BONE STOCK..only smooth tubes and filters allowed! Stock tires!

Modified: This class is for any bolt on motor/drivetrain accessories on a STOCK SIZE ENGINE. No Nitrous or Supercharger/forced air induction of any kind allowed. (exhaust systems, rocker arms, headwork, cam change, you get the gist). ANY DOT Approved tire acceptable.

Modified 1: This class is a combination of the modified class and can have (1) power adder, like a non direct port nitrous system or a supercharger/turbocharger.

Unlimited: Anything goes, Your stroker engine, direct port NOS, Supercharge or turbocharge with NOS, Automatic Transmission and anything else with a V-10 will fall into this catagory. The unlimited class will have (2) awards, one for motor only and one for fastest in any combination.

The amount of entrants will determine the cash payout(..not from contingencies) to the winners of each class. The payout schedule looks like this(BASED UPON 100 CARS..MORE CARS=MORE CASH, LESS CARS=LESS CASH):

CLASS WINNER RUNNER-UP

STOCK $ 300.00 $ 150.00
MODIFIED $ 500.00 $ 300.00
MODIFIED1 $ 1,000.00 $ 400.00
UNLIMITED N/A $ 2,000.00 $ 750.00
UNLIMITED $ 2,000.00 $ 750.00

Entry fee will be $ 150.00 for car and driver, add $ 10.00 for each visitor/crewmember. If there is interest we will also set up a Dyno Contest the day before.

If parties wish to offer contingencies, then so be it, but that will be between the vendors and the participants. The object of this event is to RACE, RACE, RACE.

Tentative dates are between the first and 15th of March. We will finalize with participation reqests as the track requires advance notice for securing rental.

I feel confident that the cash payout at this event will be the largest EVER for a Viper Drag Race. Its up to you to make it a reality. Please respond via email or this forum with your RSVP. We can probably arrange for entry fee deposit (50%) to be held by either the VCA or our local Viper club should you not feel comfortable allowing a tuner to escrow your funds.

THIS EVENT IS VIPER ONLY!

I await your responses.

Tom

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom sounds like a great event and I would consider coming out to Florida.

However - you might want to move the date back a little as it is only 2 weeks or so after the Powerfest on February 22nd.

Good luck.

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

Bone stock does mean bone stock, but some Vipers, ACR Vipers came with Smooth tubes. 5 hp isn't worth having participants go through the act of changing their filters/tubes. Thanks for your thoughts though.

We can Firm up the date anytime as long as we do it within the next 14 days. I will post a list of all possible dates in March/April later today.

Tom

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Bone Stock usually allows for smooth tubes and K&N's because an ACR has this as stock items.

We've used this theory with our Englishtown events and it works out quite well.

I also would include resonator bypass as still acceptable in Stock class as well (Snake oyl or other).

As soon as you touch anything in the side sills ... you're modified (much easier to tech this way as well).

By the way, if we get enough positive feedback, there is a possibility that we can enhance some of this years awesome Zone Rendezvous' with Drag Racing? How's that sound?

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph Houss:
By the way, if we get enough positive feedback, there is a possibility that we can enhance some of this years awesome Zone Rendezvous' with Drag Racing? How's that sound?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe - I think a drag event should be a must. Obviously, from reading this board many owner modify their Vipers for both the track AND the drag strip.

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bugeater,

Sorry, but I disagree. In any type of competition there are winners and losers. To the winners go the spoils. There are several other Drag events upcoming with entry fees as much as, if not more than what we are looking at charging and their events don't pay out ANYTHING.

VOI didn't pay out ANYTHING, neither did the Zone Races last year.

I would think that the Stock and Modified classes would be the heavy entrant classes seeing that there is no clear run-away victor, unlike the unlimited class. Remember that at VOI in unlimited, almost every "BIG DOG" was eliminated in the first round. Anything can happen and anyone can win, thats another facet of racing.

Thanks again for your opinion, but at this time, the payouts will stand as posted.

Tom

P.S. You guys ever watch the show "fear Factor"?? most everyone has to eat the worms, hang from tall buildings by a rope, escape from a box under water...but only ONE person gets the 50 Grand. At least this race will pay something to the runner-up in each class and everyone has a chance of winning.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have Fun by yourselves in Florida. I can't see many stock Viper drivers showing up to see if thay can win there class and get there entrance fee back. If I don't go I see I end up as good as a runner up in my class. Well except for the 2600 miles I had to travel.
The plus on a Florida location is the bad influence that took over the Texas event won't have the money to show up unless he has already scammed some owners for his recently aquired aerobody parts.
laugh.gif

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoosier,

I don't understand, you pay 200 bucks to race at powerfest with absolutely no chance of winning anything..because there is no payout in any class. The only monies that could have been won were if you met the conditions of the contingency sponsors.

In any event, this is just an attempt to get racers together for a race and some folks could win a few bucks. Actually, Id rather see the VCA do all the work and have Zone Races again that include a drag race, as I could care less about all the hassles and headaches associated with doing this myself. I'm lucky to be surrounded by great racing facilities and year round racing, this gig isn't for me or my business, heck, I just raced last nite!

Take care,

Tom

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can the local VCA (central FL) sponsor the event? and have it open to all? This would seem like the easiest way to go.

I also think April would be a better time frame than March (too short of notice to travel across the country for some)

Is the racing going to be heads-up or bracket? Just a suggestion but maybe stock and modified should be bracket racing with mod1 & unlimited heads up. This would make it more fun for the stocker with limited track experience going up against a veteran that's running a half a second faster.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should distribute the payout by number of entrants per class. That is more equitable. It wouldnt be fair to have 100 cars show up, and say have only 3 cars in unlimited while all 100 paid the same amount to enter. 97 people wouldnt have a chance at the "high dollar prize". 2 out of the 3 are already in the money! Extreme example, I know. I know you want the fastest to get the most, but make the payouts based on a formula that awards participation in all classes. Plus I dont think winning the dollars for the unlimiteds is going to be the most coveted prize for that particular winner! (Major Bragging rights!!!)

You might get more stock/modifieds there this way...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21