New Review with Scary Final Words

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what, I live 10 minutes (from my front door) to Road Atlanta. Maybe a month or two ago I was on my way home and looked across the highway and caught a quick glimpse of what looked to be a Gen V (the red one). I said to myself, nah, that's not possible so didn't even bother trying to get a second look. Looks like I was wrong.

Ending is not that scary, in order to survive (and thrive) they will have to go Forced Induction.

-nighthawk-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shame it won't come in RHD, Ralph said that they will need to sell at least 500 of them in RHD before it comes financially viable. I don't think it worked out too well last time they tried RHD in Australia back in 2002 as they didn't sell all of the allocated cars.

There is a chance it could be the last with that engine as fuel economy laws come into place.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was curious what kind of laps they were turning, until I watched the video. They were driving like pansies and I wonder why they had it set-up to use the "drift" loop instead of running through 10b and straight up under the bridge.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not really scary at all , as this type of comment has been going on for at least 10 years. Look at all the scuttlebutt that when the Gen 5 came out it would be a V8. I think a V10 Viper will live long into the future, though it would not surprise me to see an expansion of the line , like Porsche, with other Viper models based on the heritage of the SRT Snake!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really scary at all , as this type of comment has been going on for at least 10 years. Look at all the scuttlebutt that when the Gen 5 came out it would be a V8. I think a V10 Viper will live long into the future, though it would not surprise me to see an expansion of the line , like Porsche, with other Viper models based on the heritage of the SRT Snake!!

Bill, I respect your sentiment, but I just don't agree. I think plenty of people have had enough of the Porsche imitation. The Viper has lost a few things over the years due to regulations and what not. However, the nostalgia has always been there. Adding a line up that mimics Porsche kills it for me. The Viper has always been one of a kind in all aspects. Adding smaller versions of it is not a good idea.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, I respect your sentiment, but I just don't agree. I think plenty of people have had enough of the Porsche imitation. The Viper has lost a few things over the years due to regulations and what not. However, the nostalgia has always been there. Adding a line up that mimics Porsche kills it for me. The Viper has always been one of a kind in all aspects. Adding smaller versions of it is not a good idea.

This. The sentiment here reminds much of that in society with our liberties. Over time we accept more and more being taken, with often weak justification. We don't need another "me-too". Let the Viper be an outlier, a menacing and domineering outlier.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have SRT Viper, SRT Viper GTS. What is wrong with adding say an SRT Razor? Or SRT Barracuda? Completely different cars, sharing the same "venom" (SRT performance) as the Viper?

OP
OP
M

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have SRT Viper, SRT Viper GTS. What is wrong with adding say an SRT Razor? Or SRT Barracuda? Completely different cars, sharing the same "venom" (SRT performance) as the Viper?

Nothing wrong with that. But, the Razor and the Cuda are completely different vehicles. I don't want something like what has happened with the 911.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be disappointing to see a "V6" viper as an option along side a V10.

But, the days of the big blocks are numbered (5y? 10y? 20y?), I think if anything you'll see what the Carerra GT had, a small block V10.

I think SRT could pull it off right. As long as the power is there, why not?

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its the thought of a 'mini-me' that bothers people. A less powerful, cheaper and friendlier Viper. One that kind of looks like it but is detuned in all areas.

That would be a bad addition to the line

Matt

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They would have to go to four valves/cylinder.....talk about packaging problems. This configuration produces a much taller engine that works well for mid engine cars but is fairly unattractive for a front engine car. If you look at the recent F599 and the F12 the hood is tall to accommodate the engine and in turn, you can't construct a low slung, sloping hood which for me ruins the look. The 2 valve /cylinder engine us actually more efficient.

Even if they axe the current V10 they could always come up with a smaller higher revving V10 like say the Carrera GT... Wouldn't be the end of the world:dunno::D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxXb9JYYFfI

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, kind of like: "we must go along to get along."

This. The sentiment here reminds much of that in society with our liberties. Over time we accept more and more being taken, with often weak justification. We don't need another "me-too". Let the Viper be an outlier, a menacing and domineering outlier.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They would have to go to four valves/cylinder.....talk about packaging problems. This configuration produces a much taller engine that works well for mid engine cars but is fairly unattractive for a front engine car. If you look at the recent F599 and the F12 the hood is tall to accommodate the engine and in turn, you can't construct a low slung, sloping hood which for me ruins the look. The 2 valve /cylinder engine us actually more efficient.

Well maybe to accomodate a 4 v/c engine and keep the similar Viper profile they will have to reengineer the chassis layout to have a rear midship Viper instead of a front midship like the ME412. Unlikely. But if the car will have to evolve to satisify the future regs then SRT has to consider all options if the car is to survive. If the Gen V is this polarizing I imagine that the future regulated Vipers will be even more so...

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All's it takes is time and a lot of money.

Im assuming this was towards my post? If so you right. But will Fiat ok it is the billion dollar question? At that point I think they will probably discontinue the Viper as the R&D would have to be on the level of a typical new Ferrari model. I think Chrysler/Dodge?SRT and now Fiat have gotten used to the shoestring budget the Viper has. Its world class with a shoestring budget so if regs mandate a full retool from scratch because of regulations/competition etc then we will see the sort of commitment Fiat has to this car financially imho.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Screw it then... Build the new Viper from the Enzo platform. The R&D is done so how much could it cost:dunno: Just chop out the center of the grill and throw a smaller high rpm v10 in there and come up with a new snake emblem:D In 2007 GM was going to go mid engine with the Vette. The viper needs something to pull out of the pack now...

You must be registered for see images attach

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First things first: SRT needs to be successful with the gen V. They need to earn a profit, then the opportunity to further develop the car will follow. As I mentioned in a previous post Dick Winkles said he thought that Chrysler was being held to a higher standard when it comes to carbon emissions. Forget about gas mileage, I'm just talking about emissions. Chrysler can get around the gas mileage requirements, because Viper is a small volume car and will not impact the fleet gas mileage requirements. There's still more to be had from the Viper (maybe another 60 hp (direct injection, etc..) but at 640/600 the Viper does not lack power, it just needs to lose some weight. With mandating of back up cameras and other government interference this is going to be a tough challenge, so in the end it may be that Viper ends up with fewer cylinders and increased technology.

QUOTE=SnakeBitten;3140525]Im assuming this was towards my post? If so you right. But will Fiat ok it is the billion dollar question? At that point I think they will probably discontinue the Viper as the R&D would have to be on the level of a typical new Ferrari model. I think Chrysler/Dodge?SRT and now Fiat have gotten used to the shoestring budget the Viper has. Its world class with a shoestring budget so if regs mandate a full retool from scratch because of regulations/competition etc then we will see the sort of commitment Fiat has to this car financially imho.[/QUOTE]

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the real question is - should the Viper always be a V10, 8L, mid engine car? Does it get held back by having to live up to certain expectations of history?

I was watching a story on Tesla, and one of the overall themes was "Musk can do whatever he wants, because he has no image/legacy to live up to"

If the Viper is being put into a specific "it must have X, Y, and Z to be a Viper" - isn't that doing a disservice to building a balls to the wall, hold nothing back, high performance car? If so, it can never truly be revolutionary again, only evolutionary.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A win at LeMans will make all the naysayers bow with respect...

I'd love this to happen. A return to the podium a la Oreca circa 98-00.

But this has nothing to do with the street Vipers. Winning at Le Mans in a race car will bring respect to the race car. Hell you have race Volvo's, Primeras etc that have won championships in various racing organization but I hardly think that translated to respect for the more plebeian street versions performancewise. For the street Vipers to win respect of the "masses" they will have to win some performance comparos against other high level street cars like the ZR1. Chevy knew this hence the possible ringer they sent to the mags. If mag comparos meant "nothing" then you wouldnt have the age old "ringer" problem. Hell even Ferrari has stringent rules in how there cars are tested by mags according to Chris Harris.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First things first: SRT needs to be successful with the gen V. They need to earn a profit, then the opportunity to further develop the car will follow. As I mentioned in a previous post Dick Winkles said he thought that Chrysler was being held to a higher standard when it comes to carbon emissions. Forget about gas mileage, I'm just talking about emissions. Chrysler can get around the gas mileage requirements, because Viper is a small volume car and will not impact the fleet gas mileage requirements. There's still more to be had from the Viper (maybe another 60 hp (direct injection, etc..) but at 640/600 the Viper does not lack power, it just needs to lose some weight. With mandating of back up cameras and other government interference this is going to be a tough challenge, so in the end it may be that Viper ends up with fewer cylinders and increased technology.

QUOTE=SnakeBitten;3140525]Im assuming this was towards my post? If so you right. But will Fiat ok it is the billion dollar question? At that point I think they will probably discontinue the Viper as the R&D would have to be on the level of a typical new Ferrari model. I think Chrysler/Dodge?SRT and now Fiat have gotten used to the shoestring budget the Viper has. Its world class with a shoestring budget so if regs mandate a full retool from scratch because of regulations/competition etc then we will see the sort of commitment Fiat has to this car financially imho.
[/QUOTE]

I agree. At this point in its history, Viper sales will determine its future more so than any future regulation. If its profitable than a lot more avenues will be viable to the bean counters.

I guess the real question is - should the Viper always be a V10, 8L, mid engine car? Does it get held back by having to live up to certain expectations of history?

I was watching a story on Tesla, and one of the overall themes was "Musk can do whatever he wants, because he has no image/legacy to live up to"

If the Viper is being put into a specific "it must have X, Y, and Z to be a Viper" - isn't that doing a disservice to building a balls to the wall, hold nothing back, high performance car? If so, it can never truly be revolutionary again, only evolutionary.

Yes but it works perpetually for Porsche with the 911, Lambo with the V12 flagship etc so why not the Viper with its V10? When you have approached Iconic status its not always a good thing to mess with that formula. The Viper certainly has reached that level via its shape and what makes it unique, the biggest na engine in a production car. I would love for it always to have a V10 even if it HAS to be smaller in cubes to meet regulations.

Last edited:

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A smaller (maybe 7+L) V10 with DI would not be a bad thing in the future. They have said it before, that the V10 would go away because it cannot meet stricter emissions.