New RT/10 Owner Question!

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey everyone...i finally bought my dream car of 17 years, a 1993 RT/10...it only has 10k miles, and is in flawless condition, but i am wondering what i should do as far as preventative maintenance as it is now sitting in my garage...

should i do a tune up? flush and replace all the fluids? throttle servicing?

i am just trying to get an idea of what i should do to make sure it remain in solid condition and continues to run as great as it does now. any information would help.

thanks in advance!

Last edited:

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get new tires if the originals are still on it.
Can't stress that enough!

you will see that on the boards over and over but it is so true.
I got snake bit early on due to old, hard tires and that was on an 85 degree day when I thought I had plenty of traction...

new tires give the car a whole new feeling.......

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SEARCH FEATURE
Almost every question you can think of has already been asked and answered! In some cases, the information may be out of date and a new thread will be needed, but in many cases, an answer to your question may be under 10 seconds away!

The VCA Web Forums has a search feature very similar to web search engines like Google. By typing in a few words, it will search all old posts since the website was created to find words matching what you typed in. Be mindful though, the more words you type the fewer results you will get as it will try to find posts only with all of the words you types. In saying that as well, by using words like “The” and “It” you will get hundreds if not thousands of threads. I might suggest sticking to main words. Also try to avoid year specific searches. It will block out a lot of good info. For example:

“What is the best exhaust system for my 2006”

It might be better as:

“best exhaust”

To do a search, click on Search located in the center of the Directional Information Toolbar. If you are wanting a quick overall search, just type in the words in the search box. For this example, we will go with an Advanced Search as you can further clarify your search parameters.

Once you have clicked on Search, click Advanced Search located under the Quick Search field.

Type in the key words you want to search for. Once you have typed in your key words, click on the drop down arrow on the Search All Open Forums tab located on the lower right side of the Search page if you would like to clarify your search. Choose a specific forums you would like the question searched under. In some cases this is not needed but if you are wanting the best exhaust for your 2008, you will not want the threads from the 1992 cars. This feature helps to cut down on the amount of non-applicable information that will be presented to you. Do remember though, by selecting the one section you are narrowing down the number of places the search will look. If there was a thread in the Racing section, and you only selected the SRT section, you will not see that information. This menu can be useful if used correctly.

Once complete, click Search and see your answers! Feel free to play, there is no limit to the amount of searches you can do!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my rush to post up new tires I forgot one very important thing.....

Congrats!!!!!! :2tu:

Welcome to the party and be sure to join the VCA. Where are you located?

93VIPERBOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Head gaskets, new tires. change all fluids, sych trottle. Good luck and congrad. Where ar you from?

OP
OP
W

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey thanks for all the info...im from ontario, canada...and yes it does get cold lol...i will read up on all the above mentioned and make sure to take care of everything before next season...the tires are original, and they even still have the little rubber 'nubs' or whatever you call those little hairs when tires are new...they seem pretty new, but since the car was from a collector they have been sitting since new.

ive been so excited that ive been driving it the past couple of days even though it has been freezing cold...i will stop lol...its just too exciting to be honest...

OP
OP
W

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i figured i might as well post some pics!

they are just quick shots...i should have the car plated later this week. its a 1993, with 10k miles...its pretty mint...all original, even the chrysler tape deck lol...i have been looking for one to meet my exact demands and when i found her, that was it...hope you like it!

You must be registered for see images attach

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That has to be one of the cleanest Gen 1 Vipers I have ever seen! Good luck with it!!!

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like ya got a real nice one there! My 94 doesn't look as good but i love it. I bought a set of after market side windows with slider openings. Makes it less drafty and the sliders come in handy too. Please be safe .I know how fun it is to drive but these things can surprise you with all the torque even if you are used to powerful cars.Vipers are a whole 'nother animal! Congrats and enjoy!!!

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks awesome. thanks for all the comments. yeah they are definitely a brute. ive wanted one since 1994, when i layed my eyes on one for the first time. havent stopped talking about it since then. my wife thought i would shut up about it after i purchased it last weekend. it seems the talking has increased since then.

as fun as it is, i respect the power under the foot. i have already learned how fast it is for the end to move around. definitely not like the C5 vette i had last couple of summers to help warm me up to be able to get accustomed to owning one of these. nothing compares to them.

it still feels surreal that it is in my garage, lol. what a great feeling.

racerjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice looking car, i've got its twin sitting in my garage.

the tires look like the newer michelin's. I've tracked mine with them and they hook up great.

enjoy it, there great cars and so much fun.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice car, congratulations! Also, like the color choice!:D

I had all the fluids and the tires changed as soon as I bought mine. I think these come before a tune, as I would bet your car runs as well as it looks.

Anyway, good luck and drive safely!:drive:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the tires are original, and they even still have the little rubber 'nubs' or whatever you call those little hairs when tires are new...they seem pretty new, but since the car was from a collector they have been sitting since new.

Pretty amazing that you've been able to keep it on the road with those Flinstone rollers. With PS2's your Viper will take on an entirely different driving dynamic. Make sure Santa knows how much you NEED new rubber.

Wow, 18 year old tires on a Viper :omg:!

Congrats, BTW! Gorgeous original car!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Where are you from, as it would be a good idea to have a qualified Viper Tech check it out for you. As noted, head gaskets need to be replaced on the Gen Is and if not done that is one item you should get handled. Lots of other good info from folks here, but that is the major issue on older Vipers.

Congrats,

Bill Pemberton

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty amazing that you've been able to keep it on the road with those Flinstone rollers. With PS2's your Viper will take on an entirely different driving dynamic. Make sure Santa knows how much you NEED new rubber.

Wow, 18 year old tires on a Viper :omg:!

Congrats, BTW! Gorgeous original car!

+1 City, I had 10 yr. old tires(looked brand new, only 8k miles) just put new ones(Kumhos) on about a week ago & its light Night & Day difference.
It just feels so much safer now. Before it felt like you were riding around on ice, their that Dangerous. Nice Ride by the way.

OP
OP
W

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all the comments and welcome. im just searching around for a good mechanic, gotta ask my neighbor who has worked at Dodge for 20 years as a service manager. im sure he knows someone.

i will definitely get to the tires, gasket, all fluids, tune up, and power steering bracket for next season. i want her to run like new! (even though she runs pretty awesome so far lol).

cant wait till the spring.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your RT/10. It looks to be in pristine condition. Even the seat is not really that broken in yet. It is way more fun with the top off so that will be something to look foward to.

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You can plug in the last 8 of your VIN on this site to see if there are any outstanding recalls.
Dodge - Contact Us

Your car looks smokin'. This is going to feel like a very long winter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang