New sound system install questions/ stock wire guage?

hippieh8er15

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the stock wire gauge on a 97GTS. I am trying to setup a new sound system with a 500watt amp in the stock location pushing 150W to 2 subs in the rear and 100watt to the two speakers in the front (this is peak power not RMS). I am trying to find the gauge as i would rather use the stock wiring rather than run new wires if possible. Any thoughts/ideas. Thanks in advance.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need at least 10 gauge wire for 500 watts. Stock wiring is not even close. You need to run a fused line to the battery for power.

OP
OP
H

hippieh8er15

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 4 gauge already run to the battery/ground I was just hoping to not have to run new lines to the speakers/subs but i was pretty sure i was going to have to.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper has a radio, but all I use it for is the clock to keep track of the session length on the track. I have found that the stock wiring is fine for operating the clock only. The numbers are plenty bright, and the stock wiring weighs less than 4 gauge wire. I would remove the radio, but I like having the clock feature in the car.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait a minute - I assumed you were talking about AMP wiring. The speakers - still, you should use at least 16 gauge. Just remove a door speaker and look at the wiring there. It is probably less. I assume then that you are going to replace the speakers as well? I think you are going to have to run the wiring, its the safest bet. I have never even contemplated using stock wiring before.

I am not clear what the stock amp power is, but those stock speakers probably can't handle the power you intend. What speakers did you get?

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, I have seen several people attempt to make the stereo sound good. It takes a lot of money, mainly because the middle seat bass drivers are too small, and the enclosure is too small. It needs to be custom made.

I decided to buy the RB-1 Nav radio, and just use that spot for nav. I didn't want to go down that road... Good luck! Like most things, it will snowball out of control.

OP
OP
H

hippieh8er15

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually I have not bought any front speakers yet I have been looking around trying to find the best option. Any suggestions are welcome I want them to fit in the stock location though

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not messed with my vipers stereo yet, but I have installed a lot of systems. I would guess that the factory speaker wire will be fine. Its a PIA to run new speaker wire. Your limiting factor is stock locations. You will notice a bigger difference with some $80 door speakers than you will with new speaker wire. Most people will say the subs ****, but you are going aftermarket so all you need to worry about is getting your mids and highs correct. I would also reccomend using some kind of dynomat or something similar in the doors and line your rear hatch/floor area. It will really help keep the music inside the car. I lined my whole truck with that stuff and it does wonders.

OP
OP
H

hippieh8er15

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ended up going with Kenwood KFC-1694PS for the fronts they are 3 way speakers with 70W RMS and 240W peek (only running 100W to each). Not the nicest speakers but they do sound far better than the stockers. Installed pictures below. It took a little modification to get them to fit and I ended up running 16 gauge wire to both them and the subs did not want to risk damage to stock wiring. Overall very little modification was required and nothing that can not be undone/covered to look stock again If needed. I did leave extra wire you can see in the pictures of the sub this was done intentionally in case I want to go a different route in the future and I will be tying it up later. You can also see around 2-3 inches of exposed wire on the passenger side, I will be fixing that was just having issues getting the cap off to pull up the carpet there.
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
H

hippieh8er15

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes it is pic below, I do not care if it looks stock for now but when it comes time for resale i may change it .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960