New Texas Speed Laws

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interstate Speed Limit Change – Nada, nix, nein, nope.

That’s right, contrary to what was recently reported on by most if not all Television news commentators and radio news broadcasters, House Bill 1353 did not change the Interstate Speed Limit from 70 to 75 on September 1st.

I learned this the hard way. While out on Hwy 281 today, I was pulled over for doing 75. I told the DPS Trooper I knew I was doing 75, because it was the new law. He politely explained to me otherwise. Upon getting home, I looked up HB 1353, and sure enough, all those television news commentators and radio news broadcasters got it completely wrong. It didn’t change, and in most locations, never will change. HB 1353 merely gave transportation officials the option to study some of the more remote roadway areas in Texas, and the authority after review, to change some of them from 70 to 75, at their discretion. If this happens at all, it is not expected to take place until very late 2012.

Just wanted to pass this along in case others like myself, misunderstood our well-meaning news media; and to clear the air relevant what did and what did not pass on September 1st. Hopefully no one else will have an enlightening one on one meeting with our friendly DPS.

So what did actually change?
According to the DPS Trooper (and my review of HB 1353), you can now drive 70 at night and Commercial Trucks can drive at 70 also, both day and night.

Drat ..... and I thought I was going to get to use 6th gear overdrive in the Viper a lot more. :(

F

FrgMstr

You are funny thinking the speed limit is other than what is posted.

OP
OP
M

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are funny thinking the speed limit is other than what is posted.

Touche'. You make a good point. I'm sure the DPS Trooper found my response quite humorous.
Maybe I should consider taking my act on the road traveling up and down the major interstate corridors entertaining our beloved DPS Troopers with my anecdotal misinformed quips about the speed limit?

On another note; perhaps adding to the confusion on the part of the media is that the elimination of the night time 65 mph speed limit did take effect Sep 1st, even though the signs are still posted in many places.

Well, I'm off to see if I can find a Labor Day sale on Clown Shoes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did he give you a ticket?

I remember the last time I drove from Texas to New Mexico we were on an interstae with 80 mph limit.
Looks like some parts of Texas may go to 85 according to this:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/02/texas-can-now-have-highes_n_947193.html

Correct. There is a section on IH-10 going toward New Mexico where the speed limit for a long time now has been 80mph.
HB 1353 on the other hand, gives the Department of Transportation at their discretion the right to increase the interstate speed limit to 75 mph, and in some areas up to 85 mph.

According to the State Trooper, DPS is not in favor of the 80 to 85 mph speed increase, primarily due to road conditions in Texas, which are not necessarily the best. The I-10 corridor from about Junction City on to just before El Paso, is a bit of an exception. It is fairly straight (and boring) and not inundated with the repairs constantly seen on I-35 and other sections of I-10. I tend to see their point, having driven on European autobahns, I can say with experience they tend to make Texas highways look like rural back roads in comparison.

Anyway, just in case there might be one or two others out there that might have taken what the media expressed to heart, I thought it might prove useful to impart what HB 1353 did and did not do with respect to the Texas interstates, and perhaps in the process, save someone from having a bad day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang