New tires: PS or PS Cups?

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm finally going to replace my (original) seven year old Pilot Sports on my '00 GTS and I'm debating between the Pilot Sports and the Pilot Sport Cups (which are not a significant amount more per wheel).

The car is mostly street driven, dragged occasionally and will be autocrossed occasionally.

I realize that the life of the PS Cups will be much shorter than the PS' so I'm wondering if the difference in performance is worth the shortened life of the tires?

For those running the Cups, is the tire height the same as stock (i.e.: did you have to make any adjustments to the speedo)?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regular up front, Cups out back. How about that?

The "mullet hairdo of tire choice."

P.S. Once you have a sticky tire on the rear of your Viper you will never know how you lived without them.

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've also been searching for a good tire for just regular driving and a little drag racing. I've been told pilot sport cups, kumhos or cups in front and bfg in rear, but the bfg's in the back are very sticky, which I wan't, but corner bad, So, I guess I'm still debating

SidewinderGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is my first summer with the Viper and it looks like I`ll be needing tires too.Just put over 4000 miles on it.
For 7 years how much miles did you put?

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
99 rt/10 original tires 10,500.00 So, I really don't see a point, for me atleast, to get tires that last anymore then 10,000 miles

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SidewinderGTS - I've got 27k miles on the car (and tires). I've more than gotten my money's worth from the tires.

For those running the Cups: how far off did your speedo end up?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my cups. The rear tire is only off by 1/10". No real measurable change in speedo. Fronts are shorter. The shape of the tire is much more boxy than the stock tires. Both front and rear tires though only one centimeter wider on paper are a full inch + wider. Lots more rubber on the ground. Looking for a qualified shop with the roadforce balancer.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm finally going to replace my (original) seven year old Pilot Sports on my '00 GTS and I'm debating between the Pilot Sports and the Pilot Sport Cups (which are not a significant amount more per wheel).

The car is mostly street driven, dragged occasionally and will be autocrossed occasionally.

I realize that the life of the PS Cups will be much shorter than the PS' so I'm wondering if the difference in performance is worth the shortened life of the tires?

For those running the Cups, is the tire height the same as stock (i.e.: did you have to make any adjustments to the speedo)?

my pilot cups are approximately 1/2" taller than my stock pilots both front and rear. so this makes them 1/4 taller to the road surface. they are also approximately a 1/2" wider as well. as far as the grip goes they are inbetween the stock pilots and hoosiers. as far as longevity goes its hard to say at this point as i only have couple hundred miles out of them on the street but i would bet that you would be lucky to get 3,000 miles out of them on the street. i bought mine for track use and so i expect that i only will get 1,000 miles out of them. bein that the tire is taller it most definately has overdriven the the stock 3.07 gearing in my car. when my speedo says 160 mph my GPS reads 164 mph. with my stock pilots when my speedo was reading 160 mph my gps was reading 158 mph. so as you can see thats a 6 mph difference at more or less 161 mph. thats a noticeable difference. its a good thing i have a set of 3.33 gears in my garage because come this winter they are goin in. but before i do that i am gonna try and bust 200 mph first because the taller cup tires will put my gearing in 5th gear into a range where i can pull 5th gear out to 202 mph according to my calculations. i just need some cold air come december and my viper is gonna fly :headbang:

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a feel for how quickly the compound in the Cups "stales" compared to how quickly the same happens in the regular PS'?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang