New to site, and need help with repairing car please.

kennewbike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in process of buying (hopefully), a 2000 Dodge Viper that has 10,000 original miles on it. The car was involved in a small accident, and as you can see by pics, sustained moderate damage on the left side of car. Both front and rear wheels appear to be "shifted". The car still drives and it just drove around 5 blocks to test it. I have ZERO experience with Vipers, and I am wondering what you guys think this car may need for repairs? To be honest, I have not even looked under car yet (car is considerable distance away). They told me that "likely" all it needs is new lower control arms and alignment. I want to be sure I am as educated as I can be, before I finalize this purchase.

Thanks for any help and guidance with this guys. I look forward to being a contributing member to this forum.

Attachments

• i4e4491b82edd8.jpg
    i4e4491b82edd8.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 111
  • i4e44910b37c6f.jpg
    i4e44910b37c6f.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 88
  • i4e4490621e19f.jpg
    i4e4490621e19f.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 94

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in process of buying (hopefully), a 2000 Dodge Viper that has 10,000 original miles on it. The car was involved in a small accident, and as you can see by pics, sustained moderate damage on the left side of car. Both front and rear wheels appear to be "shifted". The car still drives and it just drove around 5 blocks to test it. I have ZERO experience with Vipers, and I am wondering what you guys think this car may need for repairs? To be honest, I have not even looked under car yet (car is considerable distance away). They told me that "likely" all it needs is new lower control arms and alignment. I want to be sure I am as educated as I can be, before I finalize this purchase.

Thanks for any help and guidance with this guys. I look forward to being a contributing member to this forum.

I just brought an 01 Red RT about a month ago. I would suggest that you pull the car fax and autocheck on this car. When I brought mine with no accident history I spent two days inspecting it. I had all the fluids changed and had it on the rack for four hours for inspection. Since this car is already damaged I would suggest you find the closest Viper expert in that area and have him look at it and determine what it would cost to bring the car up to par. I would also suggest that you get in touch with Chuck Tator who is a very good Viper expert. He provided me with some excellant information on what to look for when buying a Viper. GOOD LUCK

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it better be priced right cause youre gonna spend a few to make that car right. and in the end still have a car worth a lot less than a non wrecked one

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You could spend $5k - $10K to fix it...concealed damage is common. Frame could be bent at rear, Sill is not cheap.

If YOU are able to buy parts and make repoirs as your biz or hobby, buy at a deep discount/wholesale. If you have to PAY to fix it, buy a good, undamaged Viper

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with plum. If you do not have ready access to replacement parts on the cheap, it all comes down to the selling price of the car. Usually resellers list these vehicles on the borderline of "you should have bought the right one from the start" territory. Once you calculate your time and parts scavenging, most likely it is not worth it to Johnny public to be a rebuilder. There are always exceptions but the unknown underlying issues can make or break the rebuild. AND it will ALWAYS be a rebuilt vehicle that has zero loan or collateral value , to financial institutions, if it is branded salvage. The salvage branding doesn't bother some people, but think about when you go to sell or trade it the vehicle is much harder to move.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm confused. You say it was in a "small" accident but the wheels need to be shifted. Is it being sold as salvage title? Research the title situation and also the different avenues of repairs before diving in... (do you know someone who can repair the cracks? / do you need to replace just a panel? / do you know of a salvage yard right now with parts you can use?) As mentioned above, unless you have access to replacement panels somewhere the time, effort and money may end up being more than it's simply worth. Sorry

OP
OP
K

kennewbike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for help guys. The car DOES have a "salvage" title, but I'm not concerned with that because re-sale is not an issue. They claim the sill is not damaged. Apparently the car slid off the road, and thats what caused this damage. They claim that it just needs paint repaired, and lower control arms. I asked about frame, and they said it is not bent or "tweaked".

Can anyone tell me what parts are behind those wheels that secure them straight? I have never seen behind a Viper rim, so I am unsure. I assume there are just lower control arms? I found a set of used lower control arms on Ebay for $400 for the pair. Keep in mind this car has 10,000 miles on it, and I can get it for $18000. I am trying to do this, but ONLY if it ends up being cheaper in the end.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at the pictures that is going to be expensive.

Just like someone else already said:

26827-quot_run_forrest_run_quot.jpg

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what parts are behind those wheels that secure them straight? I have never seen behind a Viper rim, so I am unsure. I assume there are just lower control arms?

The car has aluminum upper and lower control arms front and rear. People have encountered cracks in those and not been sure exactly what caused them. Perhaps this was an accident mild enough not to bend the frame; but, that would leave these pieces as the "sacrificial" parts if the wheels actually are out of place. Also, the rear has toe adjustment links/rods similar to a front suspensiion; plus the anti sway bars. And then, of course, the frame and mounting tabs that all those parts transfer forces to.

FRONT

You must be registered for see images attach

REAR
You must be registered for see images attach

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replied earlier "this might or might not be good". After stating what they are asking and getting more into whats wrong, look in the VCA classifieds or equivalent and buy a car just like it ready to go. They "say" its a simple fix, if so why don't they slap some control arms on there, tighten up the car, and sell it good to go? Because it's the unknown that will get you and the car was probably bought too deep to take the risk, so they are flipping it quick. It's easy to get your heart set on a project but sit back and really think about it. As others have posted there are MANY more parts that will get tweaked with a "just control arm" situation. I'm sure it was a 5 MPH slide in wet grass and the car stopped in a mushroom patch.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm certainly not a frame expert but from the pictures I'd be doubly sure about the frame, if ONLY the control arms were damaged as they claim why is the hood so tweaked where is meets the sills. I mean I know the fit and finish is not perfect on these cars but that is WWWAAAAYYYYY off and I would suspect there is a "tweaked" part in the frame. I guess it could be do to sill damage but you said they said there was none I think? But that is a guess based on pictures from a non-expert and since the advice was free it may very well be what it is worth :D Anyone else agree?

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RUN! I had a rebuilt title viper that's bumper was damaged and a little bit of lower frame. And it was ALOT better shape wrecked than this one and the repair bill for the previous owner fixing it came out over $10k

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your heart's set on it... Sure, it can be fixed.... and why didn't the original owner do it?????? .... salvage car. There's FAT money in repairs for this car. Like I said, Run Forrest!!

As for 'what's behind there'.. :( ... A bunch of bent up stuff. The hood looks twisted (these hoods don't twist without breaking). I wonder if it really closes? The front is certainly pushed back a few inches. I'd guess it hit at the front left and slid to the drivers side rear. Back wheel is probably forced to the inside. Just guessing, I haven't seen the car. That crap is up to you OP.

Keep the 'new bike' Ken and save a few more bux IMO. There are some great cars out there for good prices these days.

Unless you want a project?...???.....

- Cheers

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're perceiving this as a good deal. It is probably not. I would rather have an unwrecked car with 20, 30 or 40k miles. Don't focus on the mileage, focus on the fact that after you repair it, you will have a salvage title and not even that good of a deal $$$ wise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte