New to the Forum about to buy.

mclarengts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Guys Im new to this forum, and have never owned a Viper. Im thinking of trading my Charger SRT8 in on a Viper. What kinda things should I look for when Im out looking a Vipers. Ive read about checking the tire date codes. Ive also read that a lot are damaged, but the carfaxs are clean, how can I check this?

thanks

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a Charger SRT8, and am pretty knowledgable about Vipers...The Year Matters. I invite your call.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As I just posted in another thread: "Aside from the Viper Buyer's Guide link that is posted above...ALWAYS have a Viper's VIN searched by a friendly Chry-Jeep Dodge dealer to look at car's official history. NEVER rely on Carfax, etc. alone. Combine ALL info sources including your local VCA members AND an official inspection by a Viper Tech pre-purchase!!! It's easier to avoid trouble than to get out of trouble after the fact."

V

Venomiss

Start reading up here in the new section from past threads that might be helpful for you.

Contact your local area Viper owners if you can.
Where are you from?

Find a viper tech that actually works on Vipers to check out your dream that you find.
There are several reputable viper dealers here.
http://forums.viperclub.org/new-products-supplier-specials-group-buys-vendor-reviews/

Here is one thread in case you didn't see it already that might answer some questions.
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...nsidering-purchasing-2000-steel-gray-gts.html

Last edited by a moderator:

markus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello Guys Im new to this forum, and have never owned a Viper. Im thinking of trading my Charger SRT8 in on a Viper. What kinda things should I look for when Im out looking a Vipers. Ive read about checking the tire date codes. Ive also read that a lot are damaged, but the carfaxs are clean, how can I check this?

thanks

welcome bro!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you checked the calssifieds here? What kind of Viper are you looking for? Gen 1, 2, 3 or 4? Supercharged? Twin Turbo? Stock?, How much money are you looking to spend? What are your plans for the car? (collecting, driving, 10 miles per trip or 1,000 miles?)

I wouldn't say a "lot" of Vipers are damaged. I wouldn't say that there are a lot of Vipers for sale even. Only a few over 25,000 ever built.

I bought 3 Gen 2 GTSs, all supercharged. I wanted the security and dryness of the hardtop and coupe. Higher top speed and more streamlined body than the verts. Double the cargo area because I have a wife and take 3 suitcases when we leave. Usually come home with many more bags filling the car. I've driven my GTSs cross continent 3 times and normally put on 1-2,000 miles each time I drive these cars. They drive the best of any car I've ever owned. Comfort is excellent and I've spent 21 hours straight (5 minutes outside getting gas every 4 hrs or so.) I have upgraded the Gen 2 brakes to Gen 3 style. Upgraded stereo speakers, BT, TPMS, PS2 tires, Titanium rear axles, lightweight VR1 wheels and over 700rwhp with a Roe Racing supercharger.

In the classifieds my 'extra' Paxton supercharged 2000 GTS ACR/American Club Racer with many tasteful upgrades is listed. With 802rwhp (Nitrous) it will beat nearly everything and without Nitrous (600rwhp) this car is a dream to drive. I took it to it's first car show and won First place, of course. Soon feature car for a magazine article or two. Red with silver stripes makes this car a traffic stopper and a veritable show wherever you park it. Entertainment is as simple as driving downtown and parking the car on the street. Get a seat in a nearby restaurant, near the window, and watch the show, lol. ACR, Paxton supercharged NOS = 802rwhp - ViperClub Classifieds

Ted

OP
OP
M

mclarengts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I just posted in another thread: "Aside from the Viper Buyer's Guide link that is posted above...ALWAYS have a Viper's VIN searched by a friendly Chry-Jeep Dodge dealer to look at car's official history. NEVER rely on Carfax, etc. alone. Combine ALL info sources including your local VCA members AND an official inspection by a Viper Tech pre-purchase!!! It's easier to avoid trouble than to get out of trouble after the fact."

Cool thanks Ill keep that in mind. this is all so new to me, I guess thats how it is when your looking for an exotic car..

Start reading up here in the new section from past threads that might be helpful for you.

Contact your local area Viper owners if you can.
Where are you from?

Find a viper tech that actually works on Vipers to check out your dream that you find.
There are several reputable viper dealers here.
http://forums.viperclub.org/new-products-supplier-specials-group-buys-vendor-reviews/

Here is one thread in case you didn't see it already that might answer some questions.
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...nsidering-purchasing-2000-steel-gray-gts.html

Thanks, Im In NC, Goldsboro

welcome bro!

thanks

Have you checked the calssifieds here? What kind of Viper are you looking for? Gen 1, 2, 3 or 4? Supercharged? Twin Turbo? Stock?, How much money are you looking to spend? What are your plans for the car? (collecting, driving, 10 miles per trip or 1,000 miles?)

I wouldn't say a "lot" of Vipers are damaged. I wouldn't say that there are a lot of Vipers for sale even. Only a few over 25,000 ever built.

I bought 3 Gen 2 GTSs, all supercharged. I wanted the security and dryness of the hardtop and coupe. Higher top speed and more streamlined body than the verts. Double the cargo area because I have a wife and take 3 suitcases when we leave. Usually come home with many more bags filling the car. I've driven my GTSs cross continent 3 times and normally put on 1-2,000 miles each time I drive these cars. They drive the best of any car I've ever owned. Comfort is excellent and I've spent 21 hours straight (5 minutes outside getting gas every 4 hrs or so.) I have upgraded the Gen 2 brakes to Gen 3 style. Upgraded stereo speakers, BT, TPMS, PS2 tires, Titanium rear axles, lightweight VR1 wheels and over 700rwhp with a Roe Racing supercharger.

In the classifieds my 'extra' Paxton supercharged 2000 GTS ACR/American Club Racer with many tasteful upgrades is listed. With 802rwhp (Nitrous) it will beat nearly everything and without Nitrous (600rwhp) this car is a dream to drive. I took it to it's first car show and won First place, of course. Soon feature car for a magazine article or two. Red with silver stripes makes this car a traffic stopper and a veritable show wherever you park it. Entertainment is as simple as driving downtown and parking the car on the street. Get a seat in a nearby restaurant, near the window, and watch the show, lol. ACR, Paxton supercharged NOS = 802rwhp - ViperClub Classifieds

Ted

No I have not checked the classifieds here, but Im about to now. Im looking for a gen2 GTS are gen 3. stock or modded, it doesnt matter, perferably modded, Im looking at about 45k. as far as plans I want to mod it, and im not a collecter, it will be driven, about 20k miles a year.. every friday saturday and sunday.. wow that car sounds like fun. thats good to know that they are comfortable, and good for trips

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Other than the price, it sounds like you're looking for my ACR, LOL.

Buy the car with the mods already done. An example is that my car has about $40K in mods with very few miles on them and the cost is less than 10 thousand over stock. You're best with the mods already done because the 'hidden' costs are also already done. ie. a good tune is worth about a thousand and **** inj another thousand installed, the 172 Thermostat, etc. If you do the mods yourself you might have to get a couple tunes before it gets to run the way you want it. With a car already modified the tune is already done and if it runs great, gets good mileage and doesn't smoke - it's what you want. There are a lot of threads asking about missing, rough running etc. When you buy it modified you can drive it and decide if you want it the way it runs.

When buying a modified car (expecially a Viper) I suggest that you get the owner to supply an information book on the car. State the mods already done so that YOU don't have to call the builder and Viper techs to see what was done to the car or spend weeks going over the car enough to figure what mods it has - it's so much easier when you can just open a book that you got with the car that explains everything and lists the builder and previous Viper tech. Just in case you need this information in the future make certain that you get it before you take the car. All 3 modified GTSs I've boughten so far I've had to figure out myself. With Tuner/builders like Macedo Motorsports (Florida) it's easy enough to figure out what was done to the car. Larry Macedo emailed me a 2003 recpt for my 01 GTS when I bought it. The recpt listed the internal engine parts, cam, aluminium flywheel, axles etc. so that I know what's inside the driveline. When I ordered a new clutch for the 01, I also ordered a friction plate for the Fidenza flywheel.

I have been assembling all the information on this ACR and listing it in an Owner's Manual for the car. It makes life so much easier!

Buy the way, I like your taste and I think that you will be pleasantly surprised by the Viper and the Viper Club. The people and the vendors are awesome. When the wife and I drove to Detroit for VOIX we decided to travel with the Wash club. One guy had a Sapphire/silver ACR and I asked him how he could tow it in a trailer instead of driving it. Joe Christopherson said, "Well, secretly I'm hoping that someone will break down and then I'll lend them my truck and trailer and I can drive my Viper!" The club is full of amazing people. These cars have so much history and heritage that you could spend several years just gaining a decent working knowledge of these coveted machines. Every drive is an adventure.

Haha, your life is about to improve immensely!

Ted

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Im In NC, Goldsboro

There are a lot of owners in NC, but spread out a lot. Tom Sessions is a great Viper tech in Wilmington, and there are a number of owners there and in Fayetteville, each roughly in your area. If you have any questions about the regional club, let me know. Also, check out the club section on this board for news on events, like the upcoming ViperDays event at VIR.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte