New to the forum and need your help!! Is this damage common?

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been surfing the site for a while now and desided it was about time to join the conversations. Ever since 93 when I saw my first viper I have always wanted one. 15 years later and I am finally in the market.

I am looking for a 1996-98 gts and found this B/W but it had some damage which the seller tried to tell me was normal. Here is the picture of the damage. So is this common or not?

Picture of were the damage is located:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/jhill98/Viper1.jpg

Actual picture of the damage:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/jhill98/viper.jpg

Thanks in advance.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's common. The side sills are known for that. If you'll notice the corrosion is around the rivets. The rivets is what holds the heat shields inside. I had it on my 96. Not a big deal for most body shops to fix. Don't expect to replace as the side sills list for around 5k for each side. Welcome to Viper pricing

I don't know what year Dodge did away with the rivets but later year Vipers don't have that problem

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it a 96 or a 97? How many miles? Mine are not corroded like that but I have only 12,000 miles on it. If that's the paint that is bubbled up that's a different story. Check the front brake rotors....if the brakes have been heated up a lot, like in road racing it, then the "Viper" on the caliper turns yellow. Maybe the the sills got hot and the paint bubbled. Hard to tell from the pic.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was looking at used Gen 1 & 2 vipers every one of them had that. Dealers always told me it was caused by the heat.

Blazin' Blue Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had my side sills fixed last spring . The rivets that hold the heat shield are the culprits. I was told that washing the car and not bringing it up to temperature to remove the moisture is what causes the corrosion that starts a chemical reaction that eats the alluminum away. The body shop removed the paint, removed all of the excess corrosion and loose and pitted aluminum then welded in new alluminum to fill the holes. After painting was complete I couldn't see where the repair was completed. I think they charged me $1200. I thought it was fair for the work that was needed.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 GTS heat shields are not held in by rivets, they are held in with glue. The rivet issue is a GENI problem.

On the early GENII's the back side of the sill insulation is exposed fiber, the heat side is metal foil. The fiber side absorbs and holds rain / cash wash moisture and then steams the inside of the sill when hot. Over time the aluminum corrodes from the inside out. Later sill insulation is metal wrappped inside and out, eliminating this issue.

Some dealers replaced the sills under the rust through warranty. When they did, you got the new insulation. If it's too late for that option, you could wrap the inner insulation with a metal foil simulating the factory solution. If you don't, any repair you make will only be temporary.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 GTS heat shields are not held in by rivets, they are held in with glue. The rivet issue is a GENI problem.

Sorry but if you have a 96 GTS and it doesn't have the rivets on the side sills then they've been filled, repaired or already replaced under warranty from someone else. My neighbor has a unmolested 1996 GTS with only 12k miles on it and it has the rivets. We've had this conversation several times as I've warned him that his will eventually bubble up. The rivets were used from day 1 so all GenI's would be affected but the rivets were used several years after the GTS (different side sills- no side exhaust) was introduced. I think I've seen them on models as early as 99 ? It's obvious Dodge made an engineering change and went with the glued insulation but probably only after seeing enough warrany claims that affected the cost to them.(replacing under warranty) Like I said before GenII side sills list for 5k for each side.

OP
OP
J

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

It was a 1996 with 23k miles. Now knowing that it is common makes me regret letting it slip by. Probably could have bought it for 40k. If anyone knows of a 96-98 GTS for under 40k please let me know.