New to the Viper world, so I have some questions....

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased a b/w '97 about a month ago and I have a few questions regarding mods. I have used the search function quite a lot, but I still am curious about a few things:

1) How much power(rwhp/ tq) can the stock engine make reliably with a power adder? Either bottle or blower or a combo. thereof.

2) How much power does the removal of the cats really produce? I'm looking for someone that dyno'd the car before and after. If it's only a few hp, then I won't worry about it. But, if it's 20+ rwhp or so, then I may consider it.

3) What type of nitrous systems are people running? I was looking at a TNT wet system, but I'm afraid that the rear two cylinders may run dangerously lean. Is this a concern?

4) What plugs are people running with nitrous? Stock? Similar to stock but a colder heat range?

5) What is the typical size shot people are running? 100? 200? 250?

6) I read that the stock clutch goes away at around 600 rwhp. What is the most common upgrade of clutch and flywheel? Is SPEC any good?

7) I found that how-to for the installation of the Crower rockers. I can get a great deal on Crower stuff, so I was wondering if it was worth it? Any dyno result or drag strip results?

8) Is a valve spring change required or recommended with a higher ratio rocker?

The car already has a K&N intake set-up, a 3" B&B exhaust and a ECU remap. That's all I know of for mods. It made 451 rwhp on it's first dyno pull, then the second one showed 455+, but we shut it down at about 5100 rpm due to some detonation. (Crappy 91 gas). Without that detonation, we may have hit 460 rwhp. I thought it was only going to put down about 425-435 ish.

You must be registered for see images

Thanks for the information!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dyno every thing ever done to any of my cars, lets see if I can help.

I just purchased a b/w '97 about a month ago and I have a few questions regarding mods. I have used the search function quite a lot, but I still am curious about a few things:

1) How much power(rwhp/ tq) can the stock engine make reliably with a power adder? Either bottle or blower or a combo. thereof.
*Have seen 1100 rwhp, when the tune is right the motor will stay together.

2) How much power does the removal of the cats really produce? I'm looking for someone that dyno'd the car before and after. If it's only a few hp, then I won't worry about it. But, if it's 20+ rwhp or so, then I may consider it.
*5 or so, but the reason you remove the cats is because of the heat not really the power. With the cats gone they annoying cabin heat is nearly gone and the car is much more pleasant to drive.

3) What type of nitrous systems are people running? I was looking at a TNT wet system, but I'm afraid that the rear two cylinders may run dangerously lean. Is this a concern?
*BTR is a very nice system, the use of propane protects your motor from the high octane of gas. Second choice would be an NX kit with a custom fuel cell running an extarnal fuel pump and high octane fuel.

4) What plugs are people running with nitrous? Stock? Similar to stock but a colder heat range?
*Depends on how big of a nitrous shot you are running, up to 150 stock plugs are fine. Beyond that a colder plug is a must, with a colder range.

5) What is the typical size shot people are running? 100? 200? 250?
*Depends on the nitrous kit.

6) I read that the stock clutch goes away at around 600 rwhp. What is the most common upgrade of clutch and flywheel? Is SPEC any good?
*Many run stock clutches making much more power than that. Tilton, RPS

7) I found that how-to for the installation of the Crower rockers. I can get a great deal on Crower stuff, so I was wondering if it was worth it? Any dyno result or drag strip results?
*If you are going to spend the money do it right the first time and get T&D or Jessel, or you may and probably will live to regret it. Have not done this personaly but have seen many claim about 20rwhp from 1.7 rockers.

8) Is a valve spring change required or recommended with a higher ratio rocker?
*1.7's seem ok with stock springs, beyond that its a mistery would love to know my self.

The car already has a K&N intake set-up, a 3" B&B exhaust and a ECU remap. That's all I know of for mods. It made 451 rwhp on it's first dyno pull, then the second one showed 455+, but we shut it down at about 5100 rpm due to some detonation. (Crappy 91 gas). Without that detonation, we may have hit 460 rwhp. I thought it was only going to put down about 425-435 ish

Get rid of the K&N filter setup, if its the whole airbox replacement deal. You are loosing power because of it.

The ECU remap is probably your reason for detonation, you can make power with vipers by pushing the timing in the 4500-5200rpm range but you will detonate as a result with 91 octane.

Dyno numbers are to be used for comparison to other cars or your car on the same dyno. Comparing different facilities usualy gets a flame fest going. Dyno facilities will vary alot, for example the one you are using seems to be adjusting for weather by 6% a bit too much if you ask me and probably the reason for the exceptional results.