New Transmission/Rebuild?

smcosta90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I shift into 4th it grinds. If I pause a second in neutral it doesn't grind. So I figure my 4th gear synchros are going.

So my question is how much would a new transmission cost me?

I saw a "damaged" one for $ 1000, but can't find anywhere in the old threads what a new one costs.

A new transmission in my suburban cost $ 2900(installed) but thats an automatic and not a sports car.

Thanks

SC

Reaction score
We have a brand new gen 3 one that would work I could sell you for less than retail and it is here on the shelf.

Call me for details,

800-889-1893

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and why is chuck telling him to supercharge it first before he takes it out...... ?...:)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Interesting point Tom...noting that the NEW 8 quarts of Mopar Syn. Man. Trans. Lub. in my fluids cabinet are labeled as " 75W-85"...noting further that the 2006 owners manual says "Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant SAE 75W-85 (Castrol Syntorq LT 75W/85)".

Can you tell us from whence your second "W" comes...AND the differences between "75W-85" and "75W-85W", please??

Thanks.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the W stands for winter. Or cold. Which means the dual viscosity of that would be 75 cold, 85 cold.

I'm with you on that Steve... And yeah, throw those 8 qts away. They're defective!

Last edited:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because the W does not explicitly stand for winter... It is merely a designation for a particular viscosity range at a particular temperature range.

The "85" means it should be more than 11 cSt but less than 13.5 cSt at 100C.

The "85W" means it should be at least 11 cSt at 100C, but also meet a low temp viscosity of cP at -12C.

The 75W means is also flows at -40C, so this product is similar to a multigrade vs. a single grade.

Steve, I will have to find my larger image of a Castrol Syntorq label, but it says 75W-85W. Here is a way-small image.

| Tellico 4x4

These guys sell two quarts of relabeled product:
NV4500 Parts

Apparently it is also a GM product
Castrol Syntorq LT 75W-85W GL-4 (GM# 12346190)

SAE would have been smarter to choose "A" and "B" instead of "85" and "85W". And also that Mopar marketing guys didn't read the label when they rebranded the product.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We can always rebuild the transmission for you if it comes down to it, done quite few whether for upgrades or repair. It will certainly be a lot less than a replacement, and you get YOUR trans back.

Also note, until you make a move and fix it or find out the root cause, take it east on that gear. Every one of those grinding noises is like tossing money out the window. Blocker rings are cheap............. gears and sliders/hubs arent.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Tom...I see what the second "W" means...noting that the quote concerning the wording on the labeling was from the 2006 Owners Manual recommnded fluid section and NOT a bottle of Syntorq itself.

Certainly the second "W" does NOT exist on my bottles of the Mopar stuff. I'm always ready to upgrade if they introduce a better fluid.

Thanks, again, and Happy New Year !!

OP
OP
S

smcosta90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also note, until you make a move and fix it or find out the root cause, take it east on that gear. Every one of those grinding noises is like tossing money out the window. Blocker rings are cheap............. gears and sliders/hubs arent.

I have been believe me I hate the sound of gears grinding.

Thanks to everone for their input. :2tu:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because the W does not explicitly stand for winter... It is merely a designation for a particular viscosity range at a particular temperature range.

The "85" means it should be more than 11 cSt but less than 13.5 cSt at 100C.

The "85W" means it should be at least 11 cSt at 100C, but also meet a low temp viscosity of cP at -12C.

The 75W means is also flows at -40C, so this product is similar to a multigrade vs. a single grade.

Steve, I will have to find my larger image of a Castrol Syntorq label, but it says 75W-85W. Here is a way-small image.

| Tellico 4x4

These guys sell two quarts of relabeled product:
NV4500 Parts

Apparently it is also a GM product
Castrol Syntorq LT 75W-85W GL-4 (GM# 12346190)

SAE would have been smarter to choose "A" and "B" instead of "85" and "85W". And also that Mopar marketing guys didn't read the label when they rebranded the product.

This could turn into another "which tranny fluid?" thread...

I looked at the NV4500 transmission on-line and it is like a tractor-4x4 with PTO take-offs box. So is the fluid you have provided the link for - that works in the 4x4s and tractors - the same as the OEM Mopar fluid?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Tom. You win. Not on the label having double "W" but it has the NV4500 right down in the corner. I'm using tractor fluid in my Viper.

You must be registered for see images

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont care what anyone tells me...im always gonna listen to TOM when it comes to fuel,oil and lube.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just being an anal engi-nerd.

The SAE viscosity grade designations are routinely butchered. For instance, there should always be a dash between the two numbers and it should always be preceeded by "SAE." But how many times do you see "SAE 10W40" or simply "10W-40"? I know, trivial.