New Viper owner.. and in need of a top.

JoeViperRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

Great forum.. thanks for it. I bought my 95 rt/10 a week and a half ago. 11k miles.. great car. Two days after getting it.. the hard top flew off while I was driving. Everyones fine and there was no one behind me. The top is unfixable.. I'm looking for a sport bar pad and soft top for the car now. Please let me know if you have a set up you'd like to sell.

thanks again,

jp

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
aka: trunk top seems like a much better option if you think you really need a hard top, a little more money but much more practicle. If you take a road trip w/ a factory top you have to leave it on or in a hotel room.

OP
OP
J

JoeViperRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
right.. I'm opting for the soft top because I have NO top right now.. and Jeff Lemke (the man who designed and makes the three piece stowable) is enjoying great success..but, that means it would take a very long time to get a top. As it is.. I can't take the car many places for fear it might rain.. or someone might do something to it.. as, again, I have no top at all right now. I'm not looking to replace the hard top I had.. I'm not that happy with how the car looks with it on.. so, I'm definitely looking for the soft. I do not have the sport bar pad.. so, I'll need that.. also, a few people have told me they have a gen II top that will work great.. except the latches need to be replaced. Is that a big operation?

thanks for the help.

jp

Mark Red GTS Cooper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey JP,, I read the replies on the other forum, no mater what you write expect some dumb A$$ remarks from someone who hides behind their keyboard.

Most of them would $hit in their pants if you met them on the street and walked up to them.

I am sure I will be blasted for this, but being the loosers they are, no problem.

Mark

OP
OP
J

JoeViperRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mark. I would have started here had I not run into that forum first. My mistake. I'm just looking to get my car to the point where I can take it to work and not worry about a bird or the rain.

:p
jp

OP
OP
J

JoeViperRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not above saying I put it on wrong.. but, I had the car out all day on Saturday.. then took it back out on Sunday.. and as I was going down the road at about 70.. there it went. It was crazy.. like a spaceship sucked it off or something. Thank God nobody got hurt.. but, my pride.

jp

Mark Red GTS Cooper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JP,

Where are you located?

By the way, I White Water Kayak, and you should see when one of them flies off the roof of a Durango sail in the air and slide across Rt66 in DC, Nothing like looking in your rear view mirror and seeing your boat in the air and cars scattering,,,

Mark

OP
OP
J

JoeViperRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Checked there.. I wrote to the guy selling the one there.. nothing back yet. Does someone have a source for replacement latches to get a Gen II to work on a I? Is it a simple operation?

thanks
jp

OP
OP
J

JoeViperRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes sir, saw that and contacted the seller when it was listed for 1865.00. He's relisted and lowered the price. I asked him what price he would take for buy it now.. and he wasn't interested. :( There are a few selling gen II tops.. do they fit right? and where would I find the correct latches?

thanks
jp

Bulldogger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JP, I have a new unused soft top from my 2002 RT/10 and a red hard top from same I'm selling both. Let me know if your interested. Dave

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JP, I have a new unused soft top from my 2002 RT/10 and a red hard top from same I'm selling both. Let me know if your interested. Dave
Neither 2002 hard or soft top would fit a 1995. Gen II and Gen I tops are quite different (I've got both).

I've had my top come off on the highway before, also - broke front and back supports, ripped canvas, etc, etc. Not a pretty sight. That was top #2 out of 3 on my old '95. (Hint: DON'T mess with either latch just because its squeaking slightly until you're stopped :cool: ).

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hae a brand new in the box OEM soft top. Call Chuck Tator get a price from him then give me a call. You will then know what the cost would be.

Biff Brown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats up guys?? Did everyone forget about www.vipermania.com for Hardtops and Side Windows??... I know Jeff's top is an AWESOME option for several people however there are those who still would be better off with a Top such as ours. Yes Jeff's top has the advantage of stowing in the trunk but you can't race with it nor can you be over 6' tall and stay comfortable. We can deliver you a Top within 2 weeks (maybe sooner) and I PROMISE it won't blow off!!.. FYI, Jeff is a Good Friend of mine whom I have tremendous respect for, his Top is a great addition to the Viper community. When Jeff completes his 1-piece design I'll be buying one myself and hopefully selling them as well...:)...Who said competitors can't remain friends...

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, I White Water Kayak, and you should see when one of them flies off the roof of a Durango sail in the air and slide across Rt66 in DC, Nothing like looking in your rear view mirror and seeing your boat in the air and cars scattering,,,

The same thing happens when you are driving on I-95 at 70-ish MPH in a truck, and the ladder flies off the roof in the middle of stretch of road that is 4 lanes on each side wide. And since I was the one who put the ladder on the roof, I was one who got nominated to go grab it off the road.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats up guys?? Did everyone forget about www.vipermania.com for Hardtops and Side Windows??... I know Jeff's top is an AWESOME option for several people however there are those who still would be better off with a Top such as ours. Yes Jeff's top has the advantage of stowing in the trunk but you can't race with it nor can you be over 6' tall and stay comfortable. We can deliver you a Top within 2 weeks (maybe sooner) and I PROMISE it won't blow off!!.. FYI, Jeff is a Good Friend of mine whom I have tremendous respect for, his Top is a great addition to the Viper community. When Jeff completes his 1-piece design I'll be buying one myself and hopefully selling them as well...:)...Who said competitors can't remain friends...

How can I not respond to comments like that? Biff IS a great guy and has never given me friction about introducing the trunktop to the Viper market. We have become friends and we will both be selling the trunktop design as one piece (hopefully soon). As Biff stated, my design is low and does not really allow enough room for a helmet or for a very tall person to ride with comfort. If that is a concern, the Vipermania double bubble design definately will solve those issues. Also, if price is an issue for gen 1 owners, you can use factory windows with Biffs top to keep the expense down and still get a quality product.

Jeff

OP
OP
J

JoeViperRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hae a brand new in the box OEM soft top. Call Chuck Tator get a price from him then give me a call. You will then know what the cost would be.

Hi -- brand new is WAYYYY too much. I'd love to buy the top from you if it's a gen I -- but, I cannot afford new prices. Used would be fine.

thanks
jp

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neither 2002 hard or soft top would fit a 1995. Gen II and Gen I tops are quite different (I've got both).

I've had my top come off on the highway before, also - broke front and back supports, ripped canvas, etc, etc. Not a pretty sight. That was top #2 out of 3 on my old '95. (Hint: DON'T mess with either latch just because its squeaking slightly until you're stopped :cool: ).

I thought the only difference on the soft tops was the front pins? Won't the Gen II top rear locks fit into the Gen I spot? :confused:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the weatherstrip is different on the two. the top will fit by changing the front pins but the weatherstrip doesn't reach the windshield pillar or the sport bar. Small gaps on both ends. Otherwise, it fits.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought the only difference on the soft tops was the front pins? Won't the Gen II top rear locks fit into the Gen I spot? :confused:
and
the weatherstrip is different on the two. the top will fit by changing the front pins but the weatherstrip doesn't reach the windshield pillar or the sport bar. Small gaps on both ends. Otherwise, it fits.

My apologies - it largely depends on how you want it to fit. I've placed the Gen I top on my Gen II, and it didn't seem to fit at all. However, I have not done the reverse, which is what would be involved in this instance. Either way, I personally would want a better fit, but that may not be the criteria here.

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it is a combo of the 2 or some people around here say it is a Gen 1.5 b/c it still has no real windows, but they are a little better on the 96 RT 10 then on previous ones, and it has the rear exit exhaust, and makes like 15 more HP than earlier versions