New Viper Owner - Did I make a big Mistake???

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned my SRT10 for about two weeks now. The butterflies are pretty much gone and I'm starting to get the hang of the car (potentially the most dangerous time!). So me and a buddy were heading down the ND Tollway and my foot began to fill lead. I don't quite have the sound-to-RPM down yet and I think I hit the rev limiter? Hauling ass through 2nd gear and before I shifted, the car felt like fuel cutt-off for a split second. I shifted to third and all was well. Question: is this normal? If so, where does the rev limit/fuel shut off kick-in?? I suppose this demerit will be recorded in the on-board ECM?

Two week impression: Need More Power!! :D

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do not need more power. You need to learn more about the mechanicals of your Viper and how to drive it. Overconfidence has ruined more than one new vehicle and/or injured more than one new Viper driver. Search the archives. They probably have answered almost any question, including the one you asked, that a newbie might ask. A 3300 lb car with 510 HP is not a toy. It is a streetable race car that requires full time respect for its capabilities. With the foregoing said, congrats on your Viper. Enjoy it - safely.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hitting the rev limiter shouldn't hurt anything (although I wouldn't make a habit of it). That's why it's there... to prevent over revving.

Reaction score
Suggest you take a Skip Barber(VCA members get discounts) performance driving program ASAP. Perhaps followed by their racing school then Viper Days. Know your driving skills limits should help you stay within them.(but it is your choice). You control the throttle, brake and steering and the Viper will do what you tell it to do. Unfortunately many of use have told the Viper to do something we did not understand. Knowing how to drive will maximize your ownership experience. Hitting the rev limiter is not in your best interest or the best interest of the car.

Keep the need for speed on the track, the life you save may be yours or your best friend's. Approx. 17% of Vipers have been totalled. Just finished three days at the track, two of them with Viper Days and my need for speed has been satisfied.

Enjoy your beautiful car and welcome to the Viperholics of America.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You do not need more power. You need to learn more about the mechanicals of your Viper and how to drive it. Overconfidence has ruined more than one new vehicle and/or injured more than one new Viper driver. Search the archives. They probably have answered almost any question, including the one you asked, that a newbie might ask. A 3300 lb car with 510 HP is not a toy. It is a streetable race car that requires full time respect for its capabilities. With the foregoing said, congrats on your Viper. Enjoy it - safely.

Strong post and well said without disrespecting the question. Couldn't agree with you more. My Viper is much better than me out of the box. I would imagine, charletons aside, that this holds true for the vast majority of owners.

OP
OP
D

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Bob,

While I appreciate, your attempt, at fatherly advice. I'll respectfully say that you sir, have no right, nor validity in your statement. Who are you to smack me on the hand and tell me what I need and don't need. What I can and can't treat as a toy. I'm in no way attempting to make an enemy here Bob. Though from your tone you believe me to be in some way inferior to the vast pool of wisdom you've managed to capture through years of experience. I assure you, this is one of my toys. A toy that I respect as I have the plethora of hot-rods, muscle & sports cars I've owned over the last 20 years. In the time it took you to tell, in esence, what a stupid newbie I am, you could have given me the answer Valantine did. Please leave your opinions, of the type of person you "think" I am, at the door.

Sincerely,

DH

OP
OP
D

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Fred!

Becuase I do respect the unexpected, I'm looking into taking a driving school for this new beast. I'll look into the Skip Barber performance driving program. I really do love this car and can't wait to start really learning the cars potential. Most importantly, where the cars breaking point are. It seems to be very deceptive in many ways.

thanks again!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the lead post: "So me and a buddy were heading down the ND Tollway..." The Viper site is a no spin zone. A number of us sensed that you needed to be told to take it easy and learn more about the car and how to drive it. All of us have been newbies at one time or another. It comes with the turf. Other cars are not like a Viper. Many, including experienced gearhead drivers, have learned this lesson the hard way. Some listen some don't. One more suggestion. Learn about the Viper's capabilities without a "buddy" in the car and in a location where a flat spin will not result in a collision with another vehicle. If you should experience a "snakebite" a/k/a an F.U.E., you will not have to worry about injuring anyone other than yourself. Now you can get offended by this post also or you can put your ego aside and realize that all of us are just trying to share some Viper experience with you. Welcome to the Viper nation.

OP
OP
D

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One day, after many post reading between us have passed, you will see that I am not an easily offensible person..simply passionate in my beliefs. Not to go into details, but I don't believe I did anything different than anyone of you have done at one point or another. That being said. Thanks for the clarification. It's never the idea of a gift that offends, but the wrapping that we fail to take time with :2tu:

Keith C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Suggest you take a Skip Barber(VCA members get discounts) performance driving program ASAP. Perhaps followed by their racing school then Viper Days. Know your driving skills limits should help you stay within them.(but it is your choice). You control the throttle, brake and steering and the Viper will do what you tell it to do. Unfortunately many of use have told the Viper to do something we did not understand. Knowing how to drive will maximize your ownership experience. Hitting the rev limiter is not in your best interest or the best interest of the car.

Fred when I first asked about adding a Paxton to my Viper, you instead recommended driving school. I blew off your comments and bought my supercharged Viper. After attending SRT Track Experience and spinning out in the Viper I can only say you were right. Just a tap of brakes at the wrong time and .... Skip Barber here I come :)

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other cars are not like a Viper. Many, including experienced gearhead drivers, have learned this lesson the hard way. Some listen some don't.

Amen,

Larry

Reaction score
Hi Keith,

Glad you are going to take steps to master the beast!

Our region had our annual Skip Barber VCA program which is arranged(by me) under the Skip Barber corporate program which allows us to tailor the program to maximize Viper Seat time. We had more seat time in this one day program then you can get in three two-day programs. In the morning(early) we were in Vipers. And in the afternoon we had four Vipers on a large autocross type course. Suggest you contact you local VCA President and ask if they would put on a Skip Barber Viper Club driving school. Walter Irvine is my Skip Barber Corp program Contact. Working with him is easy. The instructors at Laguna Seca have our program down. If anyone needs help in getting the event defined let me know.

I started taking Skip Barber programs 10 years ago when a local guy crashed killing his best friend and he was critical for a long time. As a result, my wife was concerned about the car so that is why I started with Skip Barber. I quickly found out that the car is fantastic I(we owners) just needed to learn how to use its capabilities. Counting the school two weeks ago I have 20 days of Skip Barber schooling, and still learning. Viper Days is a great place to continue learning and maximizing the pleasure of the Viper's performance.

And remember we(VCA members) get a discount!

Nick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
woah, im a newb here to, i came over from supraforums, haha...just thought it was funny how adult like everyone here is when you argue or flame each other.

god have mercy on any of you if you go to supraforums and make it clear that youre a newbie

and to bob, thats great advice, but honestly if he doesnt wanna take it, then who cares?...not me, let him go drive his viper how he wants to and if he wads it up in the process great for him.

to the guy who made the thread- good way to stand up for yourself and not take s*it from anyone, just try and be safe in the viper

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a fuel cutoff that will save your engine. It happens - be glad it's there. The SRT has such a flat torque curve - even moreso than the Gen II, that it's easy to keep going on the gas because you feel hte car still pulling - unlike how the Gen II seemed easier to feel the torque decrease and be a natural shift point.

Until this car feels like a natural extension of your body - DO NOT get more power. Do not test the power of this car on the street. The lack of electronic nannies combined with an inflated sense of driver ego has trashed many Vipers. Don't let that next one be yours.

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fred,
When is the next "viper enhanced" Skip Barber school? Do you organize these on a regular basis?

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shift light illuminates at 5500rpms.
Rev limit fuel cutoff is 6200rpms.
Would not worry about any ECM events being logged as no one should care.

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dagger
When you get a chance, memorize Janni's response. Everyone is different, and you definitely know performance, but it can be hard to "feel" the correct time to shift the Gen III Vipers.
I saw this several times last year instructing at the Viper Days events. Yes, a shift light helps tremendously, if set correctly.
Also, if you really want to get to know your Viper, track it. The nearest Viper Days event is 09/09-09/10 at Hallett near Tulsa, OK. I'll be there, competing and instructing. Come on out, bring family & friends, it is a blast at a challenging and friendly track.
If you go to our local, North Texas-VCA meeings, I get to them whenever I'm in town. Not hard to miss, Red GTS with a few decals, like in the pic.
Welcome to the Viper Nation,
Bryan

OP
OP
D

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice. I assure you it "is" being heard. I've always tended to be involved in car clubs that had, on average, an older aged base (than myself). For the most part this works to my advantage. If I haven't been there yet...the next best thing is someone who has. The most surprising was the "Texas Corvette Club". These guys are the most down to earth, for the most part, guys that I've had the opportunity in meeting. The worst, on the other hand, was the Northern VA BMW club. Oh my god! A bunch of anal retentive pecker-heads. From the limited communications I've read on this forum, it appears to be a nice mix. Not hard to figure out who's too uptight...and who loves life and enjoying every minute of it. Now it's time to check out the North Texas VCA club. Anyone here a member? I'd like to come to a meeting and meet some of you guys in person.

Thanks again!!!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just remember the golden rule of the Viper world: "do not floor the accelerator unless going in a straight line." Follow that and you should be good. When Kumho comes out with a 19" V700 for you Gen III guys you will be golden.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PHX GTS is right on. The car will do what you tell it to, within reason.. If you want to look like Superman but drive like a hack, get a C5 and leave the AH on.

And no, you didn't hurt anything by bumping the limiter.. Aren't these cars badass? :)

Reaction score
Make sure to do the Braking when going straight.

Braking hard while turning will put the weight on the front tires and off the rear tires. Result, front tires grip and rear tires lose grip, which can cause oversteer.

NsaneWife

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dagger,

The next North Texas club meeting is this Saturday, April 8th at Pappa's BBQ on NW Hwy at 5:00 pm. Come out and join us. I think you will find that there are quite a few of us younger people in the club. We are very active and have a lot of events. Check out the North Texas website for more info and let me know if you have any questions.

www.northtexasviperclub.com

Wendy

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, the North Texas Club is in the process of organizing a track day at Motor Sports Ranch in June. Come to the meeting for more details and to sign up.

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wee doggies Mr drysdale, dees ain't like grannies old truck. Thanks for the tips fella's I'll be picking up the 98 RT next week and will be remembering all these words of wisdom. In a word "invaluable" Thanks.