New Viper Owner in NYC, Got couple questions

04MambaNYC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just recently purchased a 2004 Dodge Viper Mamba Edition #8 with 13k miles. The car came modded with headers, cat delete pipe (I believe) and exhaust. The reason I say it has a cat delete pipe because I get a check engine light on. The codes come up are for the O2 sensors (three of them). Now first questions comes to mind, can a stock cat work with an aftermarket header and exhaust? If I don't put a stock cat back in, whats the best way to get rid of the check engine light?

Now questions regarding the body, the paint is good condition but when I was inspecting the paint up close I noticed all over the car you can you see very small imperfections, its hard to explain how they look. Something like very tiny impressions on the paint. Is that normal since this car is made out fiberglass (I believe)?

Also is their any good Viper shops in the Tristate area? I would love to put it on the dyno. All your reponses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on the car!
The only person in the tri state area you should let touch your car is:
Chuck Tator
Tator's Garage 20 Spring Street South in South Salem, NY 10590
Bring you car up and let him look it over and he can answer all your questions.
Enjoy!!!

OP
OP

04MambaNYC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on the car!
The only person in the tri state area you should let touch your car is:
Chuck Tator
Tator's Garage 20 Spring Street South in South Salem, NY 10590
Bring you car up and let him look it over and he can answer all your questions.
Enjoy!!!
Excellent, you are the third person to recommend him to me. I am definately going to give him a call. Does he do tunes?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he does not tune but is very capable of anything else
call me number 4

for tuning, talk to dan at viper specialty

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He can do everything except he does not have a dyno.
Also check the NY/CT forum and come on some of our cruises
:drive:

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O4MambaNYC, if you are around this Sun. come out and cruise with us call me on my cell 917-526-1440.....Feel free to come out and cruise with us anytime....Adrian

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome. What color is your Viper?. The body is made up of different materials. I know this because I scratched my lower exhaust sill (aluminum).

OP
OP

04MambaNYC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome. What color is your Viper?. The body is made up of different materials. I know this because I scratched my lower exhaust sill (aluminum).
Its Black on Black with Red since its a Mamba Edition. It also has 19" & 20" Asanti AF162 Rims.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tator is the man! Even here on the west coast we keep his email add around, lol.

You probably want to go with highflow cats or a sensor "simm". SCT could probably remove the program? Hood, doors are made of f'glass. Bumpers, roof (coupe), quarters all made of plastics. Side sills are made of aluminium. Suggest chip guards for your Gen3 to protect the side sills paint from rock chips.

Join the club and enjoy the people and the expert info available to you through the club.

Read the thread "wrote off my Viper Today" thread and you'll know why a couple hours drive time is fun for getting your car worked on by VCA recommended shops/tuners/ etc.

Welcome and I hope we'll be seeing you at VOI/Viper Owner's Invitational 11?

Ted

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the new viper... do you know what the codes are? It could be bad O2 sensors. I had cats in my car but the O2 sensors went bad and messed up one of the cats. I would replace the O2 sensors, plugs and maybe even wires. The cat that got messed up was the old O2 side, for some reason they only replaced one O2 sensor and not both.

Get Hi flow cats also!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the lowest production 04 black mamba that I have heard about- well besides mine which is 003. Where did thr car come from? Great car. Congrats and good luck. As for the paint I have the same tiny blemishes which can only be seen in dim light at an angle.

Where in ny are you? Definitely join the club and get In touch with chuck to check it out for you. I wouldn't let anyone else touch the car near by. As for tuning since the car is basically stock you can compact Dan at viper at viper specialty, sean roe or dc perfoormance. They can write you a tune without a problem. You sure the car doesn't have one already? Any person that mods their car should know that a tune should be one of the first mods.

Its Black on Black with Red since its a Mamba Edition. It also has 19" & 20" Asanti AF162 Rims.

OP
OP

04MambaNYC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just moved from Brooklyn recently. What part? As noted contact Adrian and try to meet up soon. Adrian sets up some great cruises.
I live in Ocean Parkway and Kings Hwy. but the car is parked in a garage in Bensonhurst. I was told their might be some cruise tomorrow?

PS: I am going to take some pics of the car tomorrow and post them.

OP
OP

04MambaNYC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS