Newbee here...Is a 96 RT/10 a Gen 2? Did they come with Pwr Windows?

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Generation 1.5 as it has the rear exhaust and updated wheels, but not the revised fascia, engine, power windows, airbags, etc. needed to be gen 2.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'96 RT are a rare snake more like a gen 1.5 more hp(than '92-95's)rear exhaust but power windows did not debut till '97. i hope i got the facts straight if not im sure i'll be corrected.

Sam Vipeme Brasile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
96 RT/10 is still a Gen I, that year it had 415 HP, it also had sliding side windows. No power windows, only the 96 GTS coupe had power windows with 450 HP.
96 RT/10 has 3 color versions black/silver stripe with silver 5 spoke wheels, white/blue stripes with white 5 spoke wheels, red with yeloow 5 spoke wheels and yellow sneaky pete badging decal on the side of the hood. Rear exhaust.
97 rt/10 had power windows, but not many were made I beleive 50 were made, color blue /white stripes and one had no stripes. I knew the orignal owner of this car from Detroit area!

Sam

Hope this helps

:usa:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, 96 RT/10's have the updated Gen 2 suspension. I used to have a website saved that listed all the common stuff between a 96' RT/10 and a "true" Gen 2, but cant find it now. I'll post it if I find it

Mark Hahn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '96 RT/10 and it can be a little frustrating not knowing what you have in common with the other models. Yes to the Gen2 Aluminum suspension and rear exhaust. Why does it have 15bhp more than regular Gen1's? Maybe because of the rear exit exhuast? Or is it because of the newer PCM? Interior is Gen1. Is the '96 PCM a '96 only item? Lots of questions. Throw on some headers, Borla, remove the cats, K&N filters/Airbox kit, and roller rockers and she really screams. At least it has the lighter weight of the earlier cars but is definitely more basic sports car. No ABS but mine does have the optional A/C, CD changer, and alarm. MGH

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '96 RT/10 and it can be a little frustrating not knowing what you have in common with the other models.

Very true

Yes to the Gen2 Aluminum suspension and rear exhaust. Why does it have 15bhp more than regular Gen1's? Maybe because of the rear exit exhuast?

Yep.

No ABS but mine does have the optional A/C, CD changer, and alarm. MGH

ABS didnt come out until 2001 and I thought AC's and the alarm were standard in 96?

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Newbee here...Is a 96 RT/10 a Gen 2? Did they come with Pwr Windows?

The Gen 2s' started with the 1996 model year. See link below...

http://www.dodgeforum.com/models/Viper/history/second-generation/

Second Generation
The 1996 Viper officially began the second generation of the Viper, but the RT/10 looked very similar to the previous years' Vipers. The biggest news was the addition of a coupe, named the Viper GTS. There were new colors offered, such as White, and a new striping package with varying colors was offered. The three spoke aluminum rims were no longer offered, and in their place, a polished or painted 5 spoke 17" aluminum wheel was standard. While the Viper still came packed with the 8.0L, 6 speed manually shifted V10, the second generation boasted a gain of horsepower and torque, to 415 horsepower and 488 lb-ft of torque in the RT/10, and 450 horsepower in the GTS, thanks in part to the free flowing exhaust which exited through the rear of the car, as opposed to exiting by means of the side pipe exhaust. The GTS also featured an interesting roof line which had a "double bump" shape. This was done in order to affect aerodynamics as little as possible, but at the same time, it allows for a taller driver and passenger to fit in the car while wearing helmets. Other than the occasionally addition or deletion of color options, virtually nothing changed over the course of the run of the second generation Viper, from 1996-2002.

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

...yellow sneaky pete badging decal on the side of the hood.

This may sound stupid but what is the sneaky pete badging? Is that the picture of the viper head?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The Gen 2s' started with the 1996 model year. See link below...
The '96 RT/10 was *not* a gen 2, as you seem to be implying. As has already been said, it was more a gen 1.5 than anything else. Yes, gen 2 *did* indeed start in 1996, but not with the RT - gen 2 is more in reference to the 450 hp engine than anything else - and the first Viper to get the gen 2 engine was the '96 GTS, which was the second half of '96 model year's production.

The explanation for the extra 15 hp out of the gen 1 '96 RT/10 engine was due to the freer-flowing rear-exit exhaust. '96 did not have power windows (the first year for power windows on an RT/10 was '97), but was the only gen 1 car with sliding lexan snap-in windows (previous gen 1 cars all had zip-up clear vinyl snap-in windows).

Maurice's book has most of the answers to your questions, and is highly recommended (btw: I'm the "Randy" mentioned in the forward. :cool: ).

danahs

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Disappointing, too much for way too little, March 8, 2006
Reviewer: Bob Givenca - See all my reviews
A lot of pictures, I'll give it that. This is the first book I've returned to Amazon, and I'm glad I did.

A lot of pictures that appear to be from owners that post on viperclub.org, where you can learn more than this book offers.

I think maybe if you don't have a clue and don't want to put the effort into the internet this would be just ok, or for a kid who wants pictures.

Huge discovery, tells you what year has ABS, 2001 and on. What year had rt/10. What year had what color. I don't know, maybe I expected a decent read. One night with the pictures and I had all I could take. I paid for the return postage because it was my mistake ordering it and I consider that a cheap price for exit.

By the way, it went down another dollar between ordering it and returning it, 2 weeks. Spend your money if you want but the net offers more data with very little effort and it is grouped for you on the [******] and viperclub.org sites. Just my honest opinion.

hahahahha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi