Newbie Viper Questions Gen II

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am seriously considering the purchase of a Viper in the next 2 weeks - I have debated the SRT 10 vs the GTS/RT-10 and concluded the GEN II's in my opinion look the most exotic and have the true Viper magic. I am considering the purchase of a 2001 Red/cognac interior GTS with 17,000 miles on it. Some questions:

1) Is $53,000 a reasonable price for a showroom GTS with 17k on it?
2) If the car is a 2001 should I expect some original warranty with the car?
3) Comparably to the SRT 10 is the GTS a more tame vehicle - does it have the same amount of torque that the SRT 10 does and is it more manageable? If respected is the car safe or does it have a mind of its own regardless how you drive?
4) Does heat accumulate in the car like reports on the SRT 10?
5) How is the stock stereo in a 2001 GTS?
6) Were there any problems, recalls or related mechanicals that I should be aware of related to the 2001 GTS model?
7) Any other advice?

Thanks

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am seriously considering the purchase of a Viper in the next 2 weeks - I have debated the SRT 10 vs the GTS/RT-10 and concluded the GEN II's in my opinion look the most exotic and have the true Viper magic. I am considering the purchase of a 2001 Red/cognac interior GTS with 17,000 miles on it. Some questions:

3) Comparably to the SRT 10 is the GTS a more tame vehicle - does it have the same amount of torque that the SRT 10 does and is it more manageable? If respected is the car safe or does it have a mind of its own regardless how you drive?
6) Were there any problems, recalls or related mechanicals that I should be aware of related to the 2001 GTS model?
7) Any other advice?

Thanks

In my opinion, The GTS and RT/10 are far nicer looking than the SRT. When I was looking in late '03 I had a deposit down on a SRT and was all ready to order one. Driving home from work one of the exotic rental-car places just got a red one in. I stopped in and eagerly looked but was not impressed. The car just seemed flat and bland. It was red, which in my opinion is one of the worst colors for the SRT. They don't look bad in black, or perhaps even silver, but red just does not look good on the car. I ended up buying a new FE GTS that a dealer still had in the showroom. I got a much nicer looking car as well as a much nicer price.

In regards to your questions:

1) I think that is a fair price, however better deals could possibly be out there.

2) I believe in '01 all Vipers were covered for 3 yrs/ 36,000 miles for everything. So unless the car comes with an extended warranty, there is no more warranty.

3) The GTS has 490 lb/ft of torque at the flywheel and the SRT has 525 lb/ft at the flywheel. While this is more, the SRT's wheels are also an inch larger in diameter. This raises the gear ratio compared to the GTS and decreases bottom-end punch. The SRT probably has a little more snap to it, but not incredibly much. If respected, the car is definitely safe and is a pleasure to drive. Magazines make this car out to be some uncontrollable beast, but it's not. Personally, I think it rides smooth, has great handling, and is an absolute blast.

4) I live out in the middle of nowhere in the hottest and driest part of the U.S. I drive my GTS frequently to Death Valley and never have a problem with the car overheating, excess cabin heat, etc. The AC always blows nice and cold and the hardtop saves my head from the scorching sun.

5) I think the stock radio is good. It plays just as nice as the Harmon/Kardon unit in my M3, and the volume even increases as the speed increases. The unit in my M3 doesn't do that, and people usually say that Harmon/Kardon systems are the best and full-featured. Perhaps in an RT/10 you would want a more powerful unit due to all the wind buffeting, but in the GTS I think the stock radio works just fine.

6) I don't believe there were any recalls in '01. I am not sure about this though. Later model ABS equipped snakes tend to have all the problems ironed out from previous years. They could be considered the perfected Viper.

7) Don't rush your purchase and make sure you get what you want, not just what is available. There will always be cars popping up for sale. I made the exact same choice as you, researched greatly before I made the purchase, and got the car I truly wanted.

Best of luck in your search. :2tu:

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turbo63: Autotrader.com pulled up 91 vipers from 2001-2002. Of course some are RT/10s in that group, but $53K seems like an average price for a mid-teens milage GTS. Best advise is to have a knowlegable VCA Member look at the car with you. A lot of these cars have had "hard lives" and/or have been wrecked/painted etc...

If you ask for the help, I'm sure someone in the area of the prospective car will be glad to help ! There are some great members on this board !

You can contact Chuck Tator for extended warranty info/price @ 914-763-3136

Happy Hunting !

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking of selling my '01 GTS, sapphire with silver stripes, 1498 miles on it. Mods listed below. If I get the right price I could pull the trigger, if not, I'll keep it. Bought it from the mighty Bill Pemberton a year and a half ago, he's seen it this past winter and could probably vouch for its condition.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of these is an alltime classic in car design, and one is not.
Can you tell which is which? :)

You must be registered for see images attach

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think so.
Depends on the date it was originally registered.
I have never driven a SRT, but I have owned a Gen1 and now a Gen2. There is a noticable difference between those two cars and I expect I would notice a difference between my Gen2 and the Gen3. So I would say it's the other way around. I would think the SRT would be an easier car to manage. Not that the others aren't, but I would guess the SRT is a little more refined in that aspect. However, that is one of things I love about my GTS. It's a drivers car, race car for the street, factory hotrod and not some ladies car with cup holders cruise control etc..
Yes! Untill you do something about the restrictive exhaust these things come with, you will notice a major amount of heat from the side sills on the GTS. I understand the SRT's aren't much better. I haven't got that problem, because I changed my complete exhaust and done away with the major heats source (the cats).
In one word? *****! The factory sound systems are **** even though you might think Alpine is quality equipment. I'm sure DC looked for the cheapest **** out there with a brand name. I personally don't listen to it much, because I prefer the sound of my exhaust over the stereo. But when I do want to listen, well lets just say I'm in the process of replacing the stereo right now.
Water pump is about all I can think of. Some had bad pumps, but I cannot remember what exactly was happening other than overheating your car. I think it was something to do with the impeller. Maybe someone here could clear this up for us.
7) Any other advice?
Yes, it's not a vette. The torque these cars can produce is what makes them so fun to drive. It also makes them very dangerous too. I know of people that had their Snake go sideways on them while changing lanes at high speeds. Remember, these cars have so much torque that even at high speeds and changing directions it is possible for the tires to break traction during acceleration. To fully enjoy your ride to it's fullest potential I would highly recommend VIPER DAYS driving school. You can find all kinds of info here or I'd be happy to put you in touch with Courtney, Tracey or Skip. They run the show and are some of the greatest people you'll get to meet. Good luck and have fun.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Its in the ballpark - not the questions is - is the price worth to you personally?

2)
Already addressed....

Tame isn't a word I'd use to describe these cars. The GTS has less torque, but is more twitchy. Safe? There is a term for the type of accident these cars have - "Snakebite" - if it helps. It being unpredictable is actually a bad rap from hundreds of owners who buy the car thinking it'll behave like their old lincoln or caddy. Its a great tool for dividing the drivers from the posers, but for your end you have to accept that the car will DEMAND your complete attention while moving. If you're willing to give up certain bad driving habits its perfectly reasonable to go your entire life without breaking loose once.

The soles off my sneakers separated from driving around on a 100d day with no A/C. It's one of those easy things to change and can be discussed after your buy.

I like it, but I couldn't care less about quality. I can hear music at 100mph. The wires to the door speakers sometimes break - ezfix, but something to check during purchase.

I think the 998 recall as on the 2001s. Its not particularly important unless you race, but if it was done already you want to make sure it was done right.

7) Any other advice?
Just get someone skilled to look the car over before you finish signing. A <$300 professional once-over could save you thousand in the long run.

smfettig

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Turbo,

I bought my 94 RT-10 last year after driving both the GTS, RT-10 and the SRT and I can tell you that the GTS and RT-10 are much more fun to drive than the new SRT. Ya it might have less horsepower, but the fun factor is there. I wont even get into the mad looks I get from others. The SRT does not command the crazy looks, ooohhh and ahhhss. I learned that after the car show I was in a couple of weekends ago. The Gen I and II's got all the looks. In fact some people even mistook the SRT for a camero. ooopsss. Thats one expensive camero.
Thats my 2 cents. Either way you go you will not be disappointed.

OP
OP
T

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys I really appreciate the feedback - I agree the GENII's are what Viper is all about - the new coupe is a nice return to grass roots in that regard - the SRT looks soo Miata like - a nice car but not as unique in looks - found another GTS a 2002 - comparing the two cars - need to fly to chicago today for business MON/TUES this upcoming week - intend to take next steps with both dealers to see what price I can nail. Thanks and I am sure I will be getting back with you - any good PA located Viper techs that anyone knows about - OR for GEN IIs is a good general sports car mechanic fine?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just purchased the same yr

paid the same price

heard the water pump was the most common problem for that yr

good luck on the viper