NEWS FLASH AUTOWEEK CONFIRMS Z06 500HP 0-60 3.5 SEC

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome - GM finally have shown their hand.

Don't expect DC to now lie down and die.... they simply know what it'll take now to stay ahead... more power is never going to be a problem from 505 cubic inches :2tu:

I also doubt the advances in adjustable engine management and the options available continue to evade their attention for a better and more modular product.

If Dodge get serious - the Vette is owned. A Hemi V10 would be making 600hp to be under the same stress of the GM Vette - so that 625hp Carbon Prototype is looking good :headbang:

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like that Vette also, but I don't care for the color matched headlight housings or the front bumper cover as it looks like it came from an 80's T/A, to squared IMO.

But she is a looker, whats the pricetag?

Viper Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like they copied the front end from the Gen II vipers and they did a poor job! Never did care for the design of Vettes and now I guess I never will :2tu:

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was expecting a more radical departure from the base C6. STill don't like the front air dam. Hopefully the price will be less than 65K. I think if GM prices this car near a SRT 10 they are going to have problems.

I hope that Dodge steps up with the new coupe. Not just because of the new Z but also becasue of the Ford GT. Being tied for second isn't as glamorous as being #1.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Z06 is a great effort. I think it steps past the SRT-10. Just a few years ago Chrysler had the best American sportscar, now I think both GM and Ford have beaten them. I hope Dodge has something up their sleeves in Detroit. Just make it a SRT10 coupe with the comp coupe bodywork and the carbon SRT-10 625hp motor.

glenn hofstetter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you see it on the street, with all the bells and whistles GM will want to add, it will weigh much more. I also think that GM will have trouble with the running gear. Every time I added power to my Vet something broke. Vipers are bullet proof and that explains our car's weight. If Corvette wants to do it right they will have to rethink lots of components and that is not the current GM way of doing things. The C-5 was out all those years and still had electric problems. Like I said, when one of these new super Vets beats us on the street I'll become a believer

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have caught up to the viper in looks and performance. Not necessarily because the new vette looks that much better but because the SRT just doesn't look like as good. Hopefully, this will just push DC to rethink their mindset of trying to make a more mainstream, vanilla sports car. We want a total package, a drop dead gorgeous, timeless design with #1 performance numbers. There are now 3 American made cars with the same performance. Vipers used to be #1. The Ford GT has it all over the SRT in styling, although I like the powerplant of the Viper better. Only good things can come from all this competition. DC will deliver.

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree. Not enough of a departure from the base C6 (although more so than the current Z06 from the C5). I also agree about the drivetrain reliability. The C6 is a torque monster. Guys are breaking output shafts on totally stock C6s on street tires! Guess what's gonna happen with the new Z06? No way will GM put in hardened output shafts into stock cars. If the car stickers for over 65 grand, I don't think the sales will be too brisk.

DC has to step up and most likely will. 625 hp Viper would be cool.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Just think, some people were paying $90,000 for the now-anemic C4 ZR1, way back in 1990! The C4 ZR1's 385HP was unheard of at the time, now the base C6 already has more hp than that, and for less $$.

Makes the newer Vettes look like a performance bargain in comparison.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the end, it is still a Vette, a mass produced car that will NEVER, EVER, have the awe inspiring, jaw dropping gorgeous good looks of the Viper. Sure DC will set the bar higher, I have no doubts about that, but just remember what you are driving guys. The Viper is an icon. The Vette is just a car in my mind. I could give a rats a$$ if it is faster or more HP or whatever. I know that I am driving a car that most people want but few people have. I applaud GM for "upping the ante" because it is good business, but it will be short lived and like I have said before, it is still only a Vette.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the end, it is still a Vette, a mass produced car that will NEVER, EVER, have the awe inspiring, jaw dropping gorgeous good looks of the Viper. Sure DC will set the bar higher, I have no doubts about that, but just remember what you are driving guys. The Viper is an icon. The Vette is just a car in my mind. I could give a rats a$$ if it is faster or more HP or whatever. I know that I am driving a car that most people want but few people have. I applaud GM for "upping the ante" because it is good business, but it will be short lived and like I have said before, it is still only a Vette.

Come on now, don't be too harsh... the Vette is an icon as well :) I must admit, though, that if the new Z06 has more power and performance (for less money) than a Viper, I'd have to throw it into the mix of cars I'd consider owning. The styling of the new Z06 and SRT10 are close to enough to each other. Now, if DC comes up with a street competition coupe, that's a different story!

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with Hofstetter. I had an 02 Z06 prior to my SRT10. I did a meticulous engine break-in and had 5k on the motor before taking it to Mid-Ohio. I had about 1200 miles experience on Mid-Ohio with my GTS so I felt I was smooth and would not "hurt" the Z. After the day was over and about 110 miles on track the engine developed very noticable valve chatter. It never went away so the car did. I have noticed several of our Vette drivers complain about excess oil consumption and component breakage with track use. My GTS still goes strong with nearly 5000 HSDE miles. I think the new Z may well have durability issues if not heavily engineered. I like the new Z looks, and who wouldn't like the predicted performance. I would love to add one to my stable. However, its price is still an unknown and it will have to prove itself.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe how easily some of you guys fall for GM hype. The car hasn't even it the street, let alone the track yet.

Regardless, keep raising the bar Dodge.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still have to wait until January when the car is officially unveiled to find out what its really got, and then 6 more months until the auto rags get the press cars to flog.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Absolutely agree. That new vette will be undistinguishable from any other to the "laymen". There are so many Vettes here on Long Island that you don't even take a second look. But roll a Viper through town, and it's showtime! :headbang:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Just saw my first C6 and I almost hate to say that it looked pretty good. Not a Viper - but a very nice looking car. It's good that Chebby is putting some pressure on Dodge to step up to the plate with a 600 hp Coupe and SRT. Hope the new Coupe looks more like the Comp Coupe than the one they displayed at VOI though.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enjoy your Viper.RIP Viper,I love my 01 GTS.If I were choosing between an srt 10 and the 427 vette at $25,000 less it would be the Vette which will out power(power/weight),out handle and out brake the Viper.How many were actualy sold for 04?Was it 900 something.Factory on shutdown dut to oversupply.The answer is a baxtard srt/gts coupe?I don't think so.RIP Viper.We love you and know you well.Will continue our loyalty even though DC screxed us and the Viper and hope for a shutdown soon and appreciation to begin. GTS Bruce

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
With a light, powerful, reasonably priced ZO6, Lutz gets his revenge for the Daimler takeover.

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Enjoy your Viper.RIP Viper,I love my 01 GTS.If I were choosing between an srt 10 and the 427 vette at $25,000 less it would be the Vette which will out power(power/weight),out handle and out brake the Viper.How many were actualy sold for 04?Was it 900 something.Factory on shutdown dut to oversupply.The answer is a baxtard srt/gts coupe?I don't think so.RIP Viper.We love you and know you well.Will continue our loyalty even though DC screxed us and the Viper and hope for a shutdown soon and appreciation to begin. GTS Bruce

How is $65k z06 $25k less than a $78k Srt-10? When the dealer is done fixing the price, it will be more than the srt. So I would rather have a 505ci srt over a 427ci z06! :2tu:

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<font color="purple"> I don't think you can compare the Ford GT with the SRT-10. How about the Ford GT vs. the SRT-10 and $80,000?! Since you can leave the showroom with a new SRT-10 for ?$75,000?, the extra $80,000 a Ford GT would cost could be used for mods. I would bet on the Viper in that situation. It still will always be about money.
</font>

FE92

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is an icon. The Vette is just a car in my mind. I could give a rats a$$ if it is faster or more HP or whatever. I know that I am driving a car that most people want but few people have.
A couple months ago, when I was chosing a new ride, I was considering the C6 or a viper. My son (10yr) put it the best when he said "if you pull both into a parking lot, you know that the viper will get ALL the attention"
I am so glad I bought the right "attention getter"!! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte