News Flash: Corvette deemed unsafe to carry most of it's passengers

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In today's issue of USA Today they say that the Corvette is facing government warning label issues with the fact that it is not even rated to safely carry two 200 pound passengers -- which affects probably about everybody that owns a Corvette :eater:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, we have a good friend who owns a Z06, but would LOVE to get a Viper--unfortunately for him, he's too big to fit comfortably in the Viper. (Yes, he's tried out all Gens) ~juli

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper isn't that much better at 415! Check your door label. The seat size and shape pretty much rules out people that big anyway. I do resent the article's tone that people who weigh over 150 lbs have food problems!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper isn't that much better at 415! Check your door label. The seat size and shape pretty much rules out people that big anyway. I do resent the article's tone that people who weigh over 150 lbs have food problems!

I agree--the 150lbs is probably now the average weight of a WOMAN!! :omg: ~~Good to hear from you, viperbilliam!!! Hope all is going well with you, enjoying the Viper?? We do to the most extent possible for us~~~! :2tu: ~juli

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bill, all kinds of people much bigger than 200 lbs drive and ride in a Viper without much difficulty.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, all kinds of people much bigger than 200 lbs drive and ride in a Viper without much difficulty.

Just saying our friend who has the Z06 and aspires to get a Viper is very large and cannot fit in the Viper seats..it's unfortunate...I'm sure he can lower the seat, but the seat itself is too snug for his large frame...he has to open our Vert to try to get into it, and cannot even lower himself past getting his right leg in. He'd have to have some major changes in the seat...as I said, it's very unfortunate. :drive: ~juli

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

6',1" and 285 pounds here. No problems. The seats comfortably hug my love handles in the turns. :2tu:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When your over 200 most real sports car can be an issue. As can many other things in life.

Very true, Andrew~~too unfortunate. We also have a friend who is quite thin who drives the Lotus Elise...talk about having to be little to drive THAT one!!! QUITE the enjoyable handling car~~but alas, not for big people. ~juli
**I DO recall years ago a guy I worked with who was VERY tall, but thin, had an MG, and it was always a MARVEL to watch him get in and out of that beaut!!!

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good number of them have complained and had to make modifications and for some that wasn't enough. Some are more fussy than others, and some only take the Vipers for short drives. More power to them if they can be happy in a Viper but I don't think the average "oversized" person will be comfortable in a Viper seat. Some of them are driving Corvettes with their flatter seats. I personally find the Viper seat superior to the Vette seat but I'm also the right size (just like you, Matt). What's oversize? Probably over 6'2" and 220 lbs. But then there are "right sized" people that will complain in Viper seats because they "confining" or "hard", not appreciating a performance seat; those people want pillows.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are EXtremely comfortable in the Viper seats--snug and holds us in on those a-hem...
FAST corners!!! Yeah, our Z06 friend is more comfy in his Vette. We LOVE the ride...rough and raw as it's meant to be!~! And, we are the right size also, that helps.
~juli

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good number of them have complained and had to make modifications and for some that wasn't enough. Some are more fussy than others, and some only take the Vipers for short drives. More power to them if they can be happy in a Viper but I don't think the average "oversized" person will be comfortable in a Viper seat. Some of them are driving Corvettes with their flatter seats. I personally find the Viper seat superior to the Vette seat but I'm also the right size (just like you, Matt). What's oversize? Probably over 6'2" and 220 lbs. But then there are "right sized" people that will complain in Viper seats because they "confining" or "hard", not appreciating a performance seat; those people want pillows.

:mad: What's oversize? Probably over 6'2" and 220 lbs.:D

I'm fine with mine and better since I lowered the seat but, the point is, if your a big guy and want to drive a Viper your going to have to deal with it. You big guy ever get in an NSX? Fugetabotit.

Be glad we're not 7' tall basketball player types:crazy2:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just happy I somehow lost about 20lbs while overseas for 2 months last Spring on a diet that consisted mostly of thin crust pizza, beer, and french fries..! Still don't know how that happened!

So, I'm maintaining my 6'3" frame between 195-200lbs now. (197lbs this morning)

---------------------
Garage Sale!

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saying our friend who has the Z06 and aspires to get a Viper is very large and cannot fit in the Viper seats..it's unfortunate...I'm sure he can lower the seat, but the seat itself is too snug for his large frame...he has to open our Vert to try to get into it, and cannot even lower himself past getting his right leg in. He'd have to have some major changes in the seat...as I said, it's very unfortunate. :drive: ~juli

I am a amatuer bodybuilder, I am 5'10 well over 200lbs, I fit in my Viper no problem, I have a Video of A professional bodybuilder 8 time Mr.Olympia Ronnie Coleman, he is the biggest bodybuilder in the world, he is 5'10 over 300lbs, in my Video they show him driving his Red viper GTS, if he can fit in that thing anybody in the world can fit, maybe its a tallness thing, I can see that, but it sure isnt witdh, I attached a picture of him

Attachments

• ronnie coleman Mr. Olympia.jpg
    ronnie coleman Mr. Olympia.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"You dar ... you in dat puny little rice mobile ... hea my eggsaust now .. I am da Vipanator"

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2000 GTS had a yellow card amendment to the owners manual that said the passenger capacity was 335 lbs. not 400 as the door stated. I weigh 215 and my wife is 125, so we were borderline at that.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a amatuer bodybuilder, I am 5'10 well over 200lbs, I fit in my Viper no problem, I have a Video of A professional bodybuilder 8 time Mr.Olympia Ronnie Coleman, he is the biggest bodybuilder in the world, he is 5'10 over 300lbs, in my Video they show him driving his Red viper GTS, if he can fit in that thing anybody in the world can fit, maybe its a tallness thing, I can see that, but it sure isnt witdh, I attached a picture of him

Yes, but you are proving my point: Yep, the height factor. You are well under 6'4'' our friend is about 6'4" and he's QUITE large all over...body builders can be large in the shoulders/arms/chest, but typically have small waists/butts (not to be personal there!)....so yeah, we have seen guys who are body-builders get into their Vipers...they are less than 6'4". :drive: ~juli

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hate to break it to you, but my previous C6 Corvette was more comfortable than any Viper I've sat in. That doesn't discourage me from shopping for a Viper though, because I do not buy sportscars for comfort ratings. If I want comfort, I'll just hop in my Escalade and turn the air conditioned seats on :)

All this comparing between models is kind of silly, BOTH the Viper and Corvette are nice cars. The main reason I'm interested in a Viper is because they look meaner and are more exotic on the roads. When I had my Corvette, they were just way too common around Houston.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hate to break it to you, but my previous C6 Corvette was more comfortable than any Viper I've sat in. That doesn't discourage me from shopping for a Viper though, because I do not buy sportscars for comfort ratings. If I want comfort, I'll just hop in my Escalade and turn the air conditioned seats on :)
All this comparing between models is kind of silly, BOTH the Viper and Corvette are nice cars. The main reason I'm interested in a Viper is because they look meaner and are more exotic on the roads. When I had my Corvette, they were just way too common around Houston.

EXactly!~! The Vettes are common everywhere...but it's hard to spot a Viper!! You are correct--if we wanted comfort, we'd not have chosen the Viper...we'd have kept the Z06.
We wanted a RAW, DRIVERS' car, and that is what the BEAST is!~! Would not have any other car now that we've had this one. Agreed too, the Vette and Viper are nice cars...Vette guys love their cars just as much as we love ours...nothing wrong with that.
Also love the muscular look of the Viper...the Z06 didn't have that look...but nothing wrong with the CAR itself....but we wanted a Viper--so traded the Z06 for one....and will never look back~~~~juli

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn right Juli!

I drove my '67 Camaro to work today.

-no A/C (it is 92F outside today)
-6 speed manual with a solid roller aluminum head SBC
-4-wheel disk brakes, Corbeau seats, iForged 18" wheels

You must be registered for see images

I like raw driver's cars. The Viper is still a softy when compared to old school musclecars, lol.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn right Juli!

I like raw driver's cars. The Viper is still a softy when compared to old school musclecars, lol.

Old school musclecars still have nothing on the Viper's raw BEASTLI-NESS!~! :D Been there, done that~~IMO, nothing touches the Viper for brute, raw muscle!!! The louder too, the better!! (We are banned from race tracks--we are TOO LOUD! :rolaugh: ) Good for you for getting out the Camaro (we had a 2000 SS--one of the best cars we ever had, before the BEAST)...your car looks GREAT--thanx for the pix of it!! ENJOY!!!! ~juli

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn right Juli!

Just don't mess with my Mustang Sally :D ...

Galveston_Pictures_137.jpg

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoa, that IS a nice Mustang!~! Love pics of people's cars, especially the 'old school muscle cars'!!! thanx for sharing, guys! ~juli