Next Gen Viper Specs...Wider or Slimmer?...

Signal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all!...I'm new to this forum and hope that even though I used to own a TransAm I'll be accepted here! *LOL*
You must be registered for see images
I love F-Bodies, Corvettes, Vipers and new Ferraris...Oh and of course the former great McLaren F1 road car...Any how I had a question for all you Viper experts out there...I've seen three or four different stories on the next gen Viper soon to come...However I could not help but notice two different versions of specs on the car...The first articles I read stated that the new snake would actually be about five or so inches WIDER than the current car, which is pretty amazing...However the latest articles I've seen have been stating that the car is about an inch narrower in width...Anyone heard about exactly what the deal is with that?...Any info would be greatly appreciated!...Thanks!...Happy crusing and, please, take it easy on us TransAm owners!...*LOL*...

Jason

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The current Viper is 75.7 in wide, and the Daimler-Chrysler web site ( us.media.daimlerchrysler.com/index_e.htm ) says the 2003 will be 84.8 in wide. So, it still looks to me like the 2003 will be 9 in wider.

On a related subject, I thought Dodge was claiming 3100 lbs for the 2003 Viper, but the above web site shows 3357 lbs. Maybe I am confused and the '03 will be only 100 lbs lighter....

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Venom Lover:
The current Viper is 75.7 in wide, and the Daimler-Chrysler web site ( us.media.daimlerchrysler.com/index_e.htm ) says the 2003 will be 84.8 in wide. So, it still looks to me like the 2003 will be 9 in wider.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
And I read in some automag that it would be an inch or two narrower at the front, and an inch or two wider at the back...

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an excellent question. I've been confused about the stated width of the '03 Viper since several articles have posted different numbers. Maybe it's time for the great Jon B. to come in and set the record straight.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Though no one has stated for certain, most folks believe this is a misprint. Reasoning is based on a couple of situations;

1. The front track is narrower than in the past - there would be an awful lot of side overhang if it was 9 inches wider.
2. All other specifications ( other than an increase in wheelbase ) are almost the same.
3. Trailers would have a very hard time transporting this car - even Reliable, as they have two types of trailers and it would be very difficult to get out of the rack-style carriers.
4. Personal trailers would be highly suspect and have to all be modified, as most have around 79" between wheelwells.

OP
OP
S

Signal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the replies guys!...This is an interesting topic...Bill P. makes an interesting point...However the only thing that makes me think that it MIGHT be wider is the article I read in one of the mags...I can't remember which one but it was something that was on the stand just a week ago...I was only scanning the article but I thought that it stated that the car they were driving was built on a current Viper roadster...Could this be why the dimensions came out similar?...And perhaps that the new Viper will have an all new chassis setup that will allow the extra width?...I haven't read on exactly what they are changing for the next gen...Anyways, interesting thoughts guys, keep 'em coming!...

Jason

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21