Nice Interview with Ralph on Gen V

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may not love the new snake but I sure love Ralph and his dedication to the Viper:headbang:

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We added a standard backup camera, so if anyone is ******** about it [smaller rear window], just use the camera.

- Designer Ralph Gilles on the 2013 SRT Viper - Popular Mechanics

:lmao:

You must to have that attitude, because you can't be all things to all people.

I'm really amazed at how deep the re-design went. I think I was expecting more of a Gen III - IV effort, maybe in part because all the spy shots showed Gen IV's worked over. I wonder if Sergio really knew what was going to happen when he cut Ralph and the boys lose. It almost seems like they only constraints they had were time and a target price.

I love my Gen IV, but the few issues I have with it are all fixed in the Gen V.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting! It's an interesting article. I was a bit confused when Ralph said the side gill was "almost 2-1/2 times as wide as it's ever been". It looks great, and it looks wide, but that's amazing.

Bill

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great article, just confirms the design cues of the new Beast. Everything has a purpose.

Bruce

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really love that top down view of the car... As whole, it just screams labor of love, and it is really exciting to be on the waiting list for something that has so much passion behind its design. I also am a fan of the designers not trying to create a design that was all things to all people... along the lines of a camel is a horse designed by committee. As an ex-porsche guy moving to this car, I will be curious to see how many first-time viper owners this car will draw into the fold. My only nervousness is around potential build-quality and quality of service.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that top down view is sweet. Thats the one view we didnt get to see at the Autoshow for obvious reasons. You can sence the passion and pride in Ralphs answers. I can tell it was a labor of love. His explanation of the headlights makes me rethink the problem I have with them as I can see the snake eyes he is refering to. But still.....It will grow on me eventually I know it. Stuff like this always does for some reason. Beautiful car allaround though.

Off topic: Your screen name, GarretJax, reminds me of a character in a book I read about 20 + years ago. I just cant remember the name. Something about Whispers or willow or something. I remember the character as a great fighter that died fighting a kraken or something. Is this your inspiration for the screen name?

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that top down view is sweet. Thats the one view we didnt get to see at the Autoshow for obvious reasons. You can sence the passion and pride in Ralphs answers. I can tell it was a labor of love. His explanation of the headlights makes me rethink the problem I have with them as I can see the snake eyes he is refering to. But still.....It will grow on me eventually I know it. Stuff like this always does for some reason. Beautiful car allaround though.

Off topic: Your screen name, GarretJax, reminds me of a character in a book I read about 20 + years ago. I just cant remember the name. Something about Whispers or willow or something. I remember the character as a great fighter that died fighting a kraken or something. Is this your inspiration for the screen name?

Hehe, great memory! Yah, you are the only one who has ever noticed - Garet Jax was a character from the book Wishsong of Shannara... He kicked ass and took names... Eventually brought down by the jachyra. He did take out the kraken tho!

I really envy you for seeing the car in person... I can't wait!!!

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hehe, great memory! Yah, you are the only one who has ever noticed - Garet Jax was a character from the book Wishsong of Shannara... He kicked ass and took names... Eventually brought down by the jachyra. He did take out the kraken tho!

I really envy you for seeing the car in person... I can't wait!!!

Yeah thats it. He died killing the Jachyra. Ok this ends this episode of Oprahs Book Club lol.

Dont worry man. They will be plenty videos and mag articles before they hit the streets so you will get your fix till they go on sale. Something tells me that when you get yours, you wont miss Porsche for a while at least.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great article and really some of the best angle shots of the design with explanation. I loved it when first saw in person, but continue to like it even more as I see it more.

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah thats it. He died killing the Jachyra. Ok this ends this episode of Oprahs Book Club lol.

Dont worry man. They will be plenty videos and mag articles before they hit the streets so you will get your fix till they go on sale. Something tells me that when you get yours, you wont miss Porsche for a while at least.

Hehe, too funny!

Yah, I am definitely excited to see more coverage and some shoot-outs against other sport-cars... Definitely jonesing for more coverage! This interview was a great post... definitely a worth-while read.

Loved some of the interesting details like the Fiat Arbath steering wheel (Catrinel!!!) ...

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ralph really is the right person for Viper, we are really lucky to have him.

AZWHTSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great article! Thanks for posting. Good insight to the thought processes of Ralph and his team on the Gen 5 design. It's a beautiful design that is powerful and yet classy. Even more so in when viewed in person.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great article. I agree that Ralph is the guy and he has done an amazing job with the Gen V. One will be sitting in my garage in the future.