Nitrous...Cheesy???

Is nitrous oxide cheesy, deserving little respect?

• Yes

Votes: 41 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 49 54.4%

• Total voters

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone else on here share the same opinion with me that nitrous is a cheesy way of adding hp? It's a bandwagon that I could never jump aboard.

I just can't muster up the repect for it and really can't explain why...it just seems cheesy. I don't know if it's because of all the horror stories (blown motors) or if it's because it's not continous power on demand (without refilling bottles).

Just curious of others' opinions.

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just a preference... no need to get your ******* in a bunch about it. Some people think anything other than NA is deplorable and for the ricer crowd. Sounds to me like your SC'd baby got it's @$$ handed to it by someone with juice. :D

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a lot of fun with nitrous in the past (and not just at Dead shows...). I've also blown up some perfectly good engines with it... My personal opinion is it's a great way to make a Dodge Neon run like it's got a fire-ant up its butt. I wouldn't use it on anything but a disposable engine, though. And, if you have the kind of money to look at a Viper engine as disposable, you may as well do it right...

OP
OP
T

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just a preference... no need to get your ******* in a bunch about it. Some people think anything other than NA is deplorable and for the ricer crowd. Sounds to me like your SC'd baby got it's @$$ handed to it by someone with juice. :D

I didn't mean to come across like I was @$$-r@PED by a NOS car or that it is a personal issue to me. I'm just curious what others think...just thought it would be a good thread for getting opinions from others in our community regarding the issue.

:eater:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't mean to come across like I was @$$-r@PED by a NOS car or that it is a personal issue to me. I'm just curious what others think...just thought it would be a good thread for getting opinions from others in our community regarding the issue.

:eater:

I dunno... "cheesy" and "stupid" don't sound like words meant to generate genteel opinions. :smirk:

OP
OP
T

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno... "cheesy" and "stupid" don't sound like words meant to generate genteel opinions. :smirk:

Okay, so "stupid" came across as a little harsh so I edited my original post...but "cheesy" remains.

You must have helped invent NOS technology...:smirk:

HensleySRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All boils down to personal likes and dislikes. I have personally never had very goodluck with nitrous, but I know plenty that have. I have always gone forced-induction because, to me, it is more convenient.....I like knowing that the extra power is always there if I need/want it.:2tu:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I respect nitrous. I don't like seeing all the tubes and wires though. I'm not a fan of refilling tanks either. I've yet to see a "CLEAN" install on a viper.

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a slammed Honda Civic with a huge aluminum wing and fart can wth street glow, and youve got two red buttons on the Wheel that shoot blue flames out teh back and give you 150 extra Hp then yes its cool

mike007

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DITTO :lmao:

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I considered it for my Viper until speaking with Kraig Courtney, the supervisor and lead of the SRT Engine Team at the VOIX. Nobody knows the viper engine better than him. He in no uncertain terms absolutely did not recommend nitrous in any way shape or form. Of the various ways to increase hp that he and I discussed, supercharge, turbo, etc, he was very adamant that nitrous was not the way to go. If he doesn't know, then nobody does. After his opinion on what is best for his own engine, others in this area come up a far second to me.

billyboys

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont own a Viper first off..I had nitrous on my 08 Jeep SRT8..I also had all the safty features including a wideband to monitor my A/F at all times...It was a blast to pull up to highend sports cars and blow there doors off..From a dead stop with nitrous I ran my buddy's Viper multiple times.. he never got a good launch with the run flats but he couldnt catch me till 120 either...NOW GIVE HIM DR's and I know it would be a different story..But he would walk me hard from any kind of a roll with me using nitrous...I would not put nitrous on my Viper if I owned one...But I will be putting nitrous on my buddy's Viper in a few weeks..Have you ever drove a vehicle with nitrous? I t is a real rush in my opinion...Just my 2cents

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matting the pedal & being pushed into the trunk is enough for me. I must be old for my age. But maybe nitrous is like bungee jumping wihtout the chord.:dunno: (except you might survive)

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It sounds like you haven't had an inteligently educated experienced with :)nitrous:), other than b/s horor stories from people who should have never been using nitrous in the first place... In all honesty I have singed a few spark plugs (early years), but Ive never blown up an engine with nitrous. I've been using nitrous in cars and on bikes for about 17 years and now on my viper. It's very safe and causes less damage than other power adders in the long run. Since its only used seldomly compared to s/c or turbos or even stroked motors which STRESS the engine almost everytime the engine is running :( . If you don't like it or think it's cheezy, don't use it, and go with some other power adder and lets see whos engine is still running on it's original parts in about 5 or 10 years. :drive:

Sniper:usa:

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me its cool as hell when I see a dash or other that flips it on (Love the idea of instant power at the finger tips). I can only imagine the face of some Bike or Vet on the street when you hit that bad boy on.

BUT

All that nostalgia leaves though when they open the trunk and I see what looks like an Afghan car bomb inside. Like "OMG":omg: 12 gallons of gas with a NOS tank and a Propane tank above it. I think cheesy should be replaced with suicidal :lmao:

Thats my .02 since your wanting opnions

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it back in about 01, after i realized why a Vette flew by me on the straight. He had NX. That afternoon I shot the car out to a place in Jersey, did a great job, have used it ever since with no problems. Great to see the purge shoot up.

AC

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta say there isn't really much "cheesy" about this...

You must be registered for see images

If done right - if researched and implemented safely, it can be one helluva fun ride. It can also be cheap to start - a simple fogger kit for example, but a direct-port, duel-stage nitrous injection setup can be quite expensive and incredibly effective.

Jeff

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, be without the nitrous and let the other guys have a chance? Na I like the Nitrous and if I think I want to use it, who doesnt like another 150 or 200hp? I like to think of it as assurance. If you are fine without it then roll up on me and hope that I am not using it in order to stand a chance. Unless of course you have another power adder. As others have said if done right, it will not blow an engine.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Horsepower is horsepower is it not? ***?

As long as it's available when you want it for as long as you want it then it's just horsepower. No more so or less than any other means of gaining power.

Paint your hood vents white tho and you can skip the refills and move straight ahead with aerodynamic perfection. That purdy white sure is slippery! :headbang:

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Horsepower is horsepower is it not? ***?

As long as it's available when you want it for as long as you want it then it's just horsepower. No more so or less than any other means of gaining power.

Paint your hood vents white tho and you can skip the refills and move straight ahead with aerodynamic perfection. That purdy white sure is slippery! :headbang:
Those would go so well with a bright white interior Dave, :lmao:

Sniper

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I gotta say there isn't really much "cheesy" about this...

You must be registered for see images

If done right - if researched and implemented safely, it can be one helluva fun ride. It can also be cheap to start - a simple fogger kit for example, but a direct-port, duel-stage nitrous injection setup can be quite expensive and incredibly effective.

Jeff

Can you get that setup for a 96' GTS and fit it under the hood ?:2tu::headbang:

RogerDodger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As stated previously - it can be effective if done right. You are welcome to check out the video on my Cardomain site. Car also sports a Hogan's intake (not Viper related though - sorry).

www.cardomain.com/id/bishop4

If you know of any collectors who might be interested please PM -car is in DuPont Registry this month. I'm looking to get into an '06 Viper coupe :2tu:

Sorry for the shameless plug, but I'm sure at least some of you will enjoy the video. :)

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I personally think that it is absolutely fine. The only reason why people knock it is because it isn't on their car and they are ignorant as to how it works. When it comes down to it, if you know the science it really makes scense. There is nothing cheesy about it. A key indicator to any person that has knowledge about Nitrous knows that when someone refers to it as "NOS" they are ignorant on the subject and probably shouldn't think about using it; they usually also incorperate quotes from all 3 Fast and Furious movies into everyday life.

It depends on how you want your power and what you are using it for. I would say for the Track it would be my primary way to add power, but for everyday enjoyment the blower would be more satisfying because the power is always on hand. I am really torn right now between the ROE setup or putting together the most extravagant nitrous system out there. I mean really going all out. I am avid in showing cars at carshows and nitrous has an awesome crowd effect and draws more people in than a blower. I do however like the driving satisfaction of having a supercharger on tap. I am still torn.

My 2 cents is to research it all you can. I mean really look into all the aspects and learn about DOs and DON"Ts; get a small kit with the ability to spray a 55-75 shot. You can use a 55 shot without retarding you timing. Just be sure to put in a set of NGK cooler running plugs (Which you also don't have to worry about). I have seen with my own eyes a 175 shot on bosch platnum 2's and it took all 8 pulls fine with the LS6 Z06 engine. Get the a 55HP Dry kit, put it on yourself, and try it. You will be fine as long and you don't keep spraying while pinging the rev limiter for a couple of minutes straight like an idiot.

If some guy with a Corvette told you that a Viper was a Cheesy car and didn't make sense to have because it was more power than their Vette but not worth the extra money would you take their word for it or test drive a Viper first before you had to agree? From an unbiast prospective you would think he is ignorant to any knowledge of Vipers and just saying it because he doesn't have one.