Nitrous Dyno Results

Ben Gratt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just dynoed my 2000 GTS with smooth tubes, Borla cat-back, VEC1, and a Nitrous Express Wet Kit. My best numbers without NOS were 428 rwhp and 465 rwtq.

I turned off the VEC1 for the NOS pulls and dropped back to about 410 rwhp. With 200 hp jets (#52 nos, #33 fuel) and about 1050 psi of bottle pressure, I consistently dynoed 564 rwhp and 744 rwtq. It made over 500 rwhp from 3500 rpm all the way to 5700 rpm! I'd like to post a graph, but I'm not sure how.

I'm hoping to hit about 600 rwhp with headers and cat removal. Spark plugs look good, and the car runs full rich on the VEC1 air/fuel gauge, so it appears that the NX wet kit is safe and provides plenty of fuel to avoid detonation.

Ben.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben, Sounds like you're headed for horsepower!!! I have a stock 2000 GTS and I will be going to K&N's, smooth tubes (courtesy Layne and Liem) and Borlas or Snakeoyls soon.
Just wondering how many miles you have, how many before each mod, and if you ever burned or burn any oil. Also wondering about your break-in proceedure. Thanks
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
B

Ben Gratt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don,

I've got about 3500 miles on my GTS (it's Steel Grey also). I put the smooth tubes and K+N's on at about 2000 miles. Same with the VEC1 and Borla Cat-Back. So far, I'm not burning any oil. I think that was an isolated problem on early build 2000's.

As far as break in, I drove the car pretty easy for the first 500 miles or so, although I still did give the car bursts of wide open throttle. I just tried not to spin too many RPMS during the break-in.

Here's my NOS Dyno graph (sorry it's so small):

You must be registered for see images

Ben.

davisp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben, it sounds like your GTS really screams. A very impressive hp boost. Are you using stock spark plugs. Most tuners recommend running colder plugs when running nitrous --- especially if you use more than 150 hp spray? PD

OP
OP
B

Ben Gratt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Preston,

I went one heat range colder on my plugs, and so far they look really good (I've only run 1 bottle through the car). I'm going to keep checking for any signs of detonation, and if I do see anything funny, I'll use the VEC1 engine calibrator to take out some timing and richen the mixture even more). Still, I'm running rich on the bottle (about 11.5:1), so hopefully they'll be no problems. I also try to short-shift on the bottle (about 5000 rpm), but it's hard to do since it wraps out pretty quickly and makes good power to 5700 rpm.

I ran a 12.05 at 116.6 without the NOS, and I'm hoping to go low 11's on the stock pilots at about 130 or so.

Ben.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine