Nitrous - Info to select Window Settings and Cam

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been running nitrous since when TBI motors were 'IT" and SFI was but a dream (pre-Grand National) nevertheless, I continue to educate my noodle by reading various theories, application, and tune tune tune it on my motors. Very often I see inquiries about window switch settings, cam selection, and pro/con of head work. I am posting this information as some may enjoy reading the reasons behind the specific answers provided by this forum. So print this out and read; it is of sufficient length that one can enjoy while taking care of business in thine Throne Room !

Do NOT set your Window Switch to 'start' at a 'low' rpm level.

Nitrous flow remains constant no matter what rpm the engine is running. At lower speeds there is more time for the nitrous to fill the cylinders, so you get more nitrous in the cylinders at low rpms; at a disproportionate rate when compared to predicted RWHP at higher rpms and on 'average."

Dr. Good Head

First the INTAKE -At the proper temperature and pressure, much of the Nitrox you inject is in liquid form. Larger intake ports 'slow' the travel time and allows the nitrous to turn to a gas and reduce the amount of normally aspirated power; the nitrous takes up more room, so there will be less room for air, reducing volumetric efficiency. Also, no need for increased intake duration or a very high lift, so the intake side of the cam does not need to materially differ between that of a NA motor and that of Nitrox.
Then the EXHAUSTING Details - The extra power results in additional exhaust gas volume; extra volume you need to displace. Generally, the 'economics' (that is more $ dollars for you in Rio Linda Florida) of making the exhaust valve large enough (and subsequent unshrouding of the larger valve) is not a viable choice; it is best to look for a dual pattern cam with longer exhaust duration. Opening the valve earlier will help by getting the valve open more and bleeding off some pressure before the piston starts moving up the bore. This does eat into the power stroke, but more power is freed up than would be made by holding it closed longer. Closing the exhaust valve a little earlier helps. As for specs, look for 112-116° lobe separations and keep the intake timing the same, you must install the cam advanced, usually 6-8° advanced (open the valves earlier, and close'm earlier). The good thing about this is that advancing a cam will bring more low-end when running without the nitrous and the wider lobe centre angle will also help idle and vacuum. Also, in keeping with stock exhaust valve sizing, when using Nitrox, you can bet the exhaust valves of a nitrous engine are almost always too small. So with the increased pressure, you want the best flow from the 'git go', so low lift exhaust flow should be your number one concern.

I cannot take credit for the information; I've sourced it, over the years, from various sites, interviews, and conversations with some of the gurus of Nitrous, including Mike Thermos, John @ NX, John Lingenfelter (my early LSx days) and Corkey Bell (Grand National infancy stage in 1986). But as you know, neither real 'fans' of nitrous, but highly knowledgable), and along with others.

OP
OP
P

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3000rpms on and off at 5200rpms

You da' man ! I run it at 3200 on and 5700 off; with a 6200 redline (VecII); 200 shot.

I know you've been there done that and now have a stroker....but when you ran the 488ci, did you stick with a stock cam?

Have any used, great condition used 488ci parts?

Neal 2002 GTS - Nitrox and VecII

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it more efficient have a wet kit come in closer to the throttle body like a plate kit does for you compared to having it come in at the intake?

OP
OP
P

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it more efficient have a wet kit come in closer to the throttle body like a plate kit does for you compared to having it come in at the intake?

I use a Texas Nitrous Technology kit with a plate installed between the TB and Intake. Actually I prefer the plate closest to the intake manifold. There is less time for the liquid Nitrox to turn to a gas.....a no no (explained in post #1 above). So use a plate or mount as close to intake maniflod as possible.

Another advantage to using a plate behind the TB. It is less likely for your TB and its TB 'shaft' to freeze up. Big problem if it freezes in a WOT position.

Hope that helps !

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine with the nitrous was basically all stock except air filters, tubes etc....and its a 98 so it was forged with a 708 cam

when i blew my engine up, there really wasn't much left over to salvage....lol

if you're doing homework and/or wanna talk cams or heads, call greg good NOW. he is very knowledgeable and helpful. 713-290-1103

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plum, why did yours blow? I should probably know this but I forget. Im thinking of putting some n20 on in the mean time before the turbos

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the actual reason it blew was the nitrous....but that answer really isnt complete enough. i ran about 100 bottles thru that motor in about 4 years maybe. the cylinder walls were bowed out from the torque (my numbers were 577/856)

i really dont blame the nitrous at all, it was the dummy filling all those bottles and pulling the trigger as often as he did...lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960