No big sellers in sight to save troubled Chrysler

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I exited the turnstiles at the minivan plant for the last time on Friday, after 25 years with the company. I did not look back. The few co-workers I spoke with who think the plant will reopen in a year or two with a new product obviously have not been reading the newspapers.

I do have a recent new job that I will continue with on Monday, unlike the 1,000 or so others who now have nothing but unemployment benefits to sustain them. I'm just hoping for a decent early retirement package or buyout offer from the company while they still have a few dollars left to give out.

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow - that image hits hard Jeff. Best of luck in your new position, and to all of the DCX folks who have been affected by this.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are actually one of the lucky few that have new opportunities. There are thousands of others that have nothing but unemployment checks. It's rough right now but I think it will only be short term. In two years things will turn around. Hopefully we can weather the storm.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This article sounds too good to be true ... What I mean is that those numbers seems to be too nice.

GM is nearly selling 50% less cars than last year !

BMW has the best numbers so far but will sell the same number of car as in 2007.

I doubt that Chyrsler is in a so good shape as the article says. Sometimes bankruptcy is a good thing to clean up the accounting mess. Only 25% less sales, makes think about imaginative accounting.

US auto makers are light years behind trend. This will take time to heal if they have enough money to survive.

In my opionon all these banks and large corporation that are at the edge of bankruptcy should go bankrupt. At the end smaller and better organized competitors will take their place. Take the exemple of Enron. I think 30000 persons lost their job and now all of them have one. In addition the energy market is in good shape.

Obviously Cerberus has failed to lean Chrysler. They should have axed expenses from their account.

Exemples: Way too many dealers, Way too large Jeep product line (They should have only the Cherokee and Wrangler), The Aspen and Town&Country are real canibals for Chrysler. They should also choose between PT Cruiser and the Caliber l the Avanger and the Sebring. They have about 10-15 models to axe.

If they axe the Viper obviously it is like cutting a leg. It will harm them a lot.

I still have big question to the top managers at Chrysler. How comes that they have a so large product line ? The entire Chrysler corporation looks like a 5 start canibal club.

Last edited:

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
From what I understand, both GM and Chrysler agree that utilizing the WORD "bankruptcy" would be a devastating blow to future sales, as most would avoid purchasing from an automobile manufacturer that is in that condition (fears of no warranty, no parts, etc).

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joseph,

Contrary to Chrysler, GM has to publish its financial results. The balance sheet is devastating at GM.
They really don't deserve a penny until they improve their operations. The way to do it, is to clear the debts throught a bankruptcy agreement. Unions will have to make a big trade-off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang