No Front Plate

JWALK35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In illinois a front plate is required. How many of you have been pulled over by the cops for this? Myself and a friend have both been pulled over in the last week. We just told them we bought the car this way.I really don't want to put one on.Whats the best excuse and how many times can you get away with it?

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh man, that's not what I want to hear. I don't have front plates on three vehicles, and I plan on keeping it that way. Were you and your friend pulled over by state or local?

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got pulled over a few weeks ago. The cop asks me if I knew I had to have a front plate, I say that it didn't come from the factory with a plate bracket so I thought I didn't have to have one. Then he tells me he wouldn't give me a warning ticket if he could see my car... he just needed an excuse to stop me and see his first Viper. Boy, was I relieved. I don't like getting pulled over, even if it is to show off the car, so I decided to get a removable front plate bracket and use it for my daily driving around town and then remove it for cruising. Parts rack has a new type of bracket that clips around the center strut of the cowl (no drilling,no fuss). It feels more secure than the suction cup-type and it installs or removes in 5 secs.

HiYoSilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great bracket -- Jon B at PartsRack has a great firm rubber unit (sort of scissor or clothes pin shaped) that is secure and goes on or off very easily as necessary. Bob S

OP
OP
J

JWALK35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We got pulled over by county cops. There was an unsolved ****** here a year ago and some new evidence has brought on alot of police activity. They are pulling everyone over for the littlest things. I drive my gts and sport 4X4 without front plates for 3 years without getting stopped . I think things will cool down in a few weeks. hopefully.

SRT 10 2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any plates on my car at all. Tell them I haven't got the plates yet, so no way to ticket me. And I dont want any "good samaritins (spelling??)" snitching me out as I haul ass past them. No plate= anonymous= [*****] off

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when we purchased the front plate. the dealer had it bolted on the nose with the same metal holder as any other car. we took it off at home but it still has a tiny hole in the center :(

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In California you need a front plate as well. Red light photo radar is everywhere and it shoots a picture of your front plate. In CA it's only a fix it ticket and it doesn't count on your driving record. Two ty-wraps hold mine on long enouh to get it signed off, if I get caught. Here the risks of having it outweigh the penalty for not.

OP
OP
J

JWALK35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got pulled over again today on my way home from work. Told him I was tracking down a bracket. He was going to give me a ticket but I talk to him nicely so he let me off with another warning. Two within 24hrs. This [******] is getting old. This time it was a state trooper.I counted 8 troopers within 4 blocks with 4 other cars pulled over. They were every where. I tried to take the side street to avoid them but I ran into 3 more. Too late they got me.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't live in Illinois any longer, but I had cars there for 30 years. Never had a front plate on any of 'em. I was stopped several times over the years, but only received one ticket (for no front plate anyway...let's not talk about other sorts of infractions). It's the price of having your car look better...just count it as a cost of driving. Like gas and oil. Looking good isn't cheap, you know.

If you don't want the occassional ticket, then put the plate on.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Report the front license plate stolen and keep a copy of the report.
Do this over and over again...

FTP !

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any plates on my car at all. Tell them I haven't got the plates yet, so no way to ticket me. And I dont want any "good samaritins (spelling??)" snitching me out as I haul ass past them. No plate= anonymous= [*****] off

Yeah, what's up with that?! I've seen a lot of cars in Kali with no tags on at all! Everywhere else seems to give a cardboard temporary tag at least, but why not Kali?

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Report the front license plate stolen and keep a copy of the report.
Do this over and over again...

FTP !

Making a false police report doesn't sound like a very good idea. Around here, you can get arrested for it. What is the big deal, anyway? If you get a ticket every 10 or 20 years, so what? Or even every year or two or three? Just pay it.

SRT 10 2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, what's up with that?! I've seen a lot of cars in Kali with no tags on at all! Everywhere else seems to give a cardboard temporary tag at least, but why not Kali?

-We get the paper ones to, they are in the front windsheild in the corner, but I take mine out and throw it away. The cops just think you have a new car and wont bother you for the most part anyway. How would they know if you bought your 03 in 04, or what year model a car is? I just show them the insurance card if i get pulled over, and say i havent got plates yet, etc. Far as I know without the plates they cannot write a ticket. I got caught going around 80- 100 in my z06 on side streets, got yelled at and told these "are my streets" by the cop. He was ********** really really bad....but no plates , so he wrote me warning, that was all he could do i guess

rac156

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see how that could be true. If it were no one would have plates on their cars. At the least they can write a ticket for not having plates, and if they can do that whats stopping them from writing a speeding ticket?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have no plates they will use the VIN # visible under your windshield. Use your address from drivers license. Maybe better to order a temporary holder from Parts Rack, keep it behind your seat, and put it on when the officer requests.
I Ca you will get a fixit ticket. You will need to have any officer sign off on it. The officer will need to see for himself that you have installed it to his satisfaction. No big deal and the fine is minimal.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget about the front plate. A Viper with a front plate looks so ***. Just eat the ticket. No biggie. I have had my Viper almost 2 years. I have received 2 warnings and no tickets. Both times the cops just wanted an excuse to check out the Viper.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The State Matters.
The COUNTRY matters.
Canada and UK is almost a death-penalty !

I have been stopped 10+ times since 1993 for "PROBABLE CAUSE" of no plate.
Then they check my tire treads, exhaust noise, seatbelt use, and you gotta start 'splainin stuff. WHY PROVIDE PROBABLE CAUSE! The day I mouted my vanity plate INSIDE the front windshield, between glass and dash, the plate-stops ended.

ENFORCEMENT is why VCA-BC came up with the "rubber wishbone" brackets that PartsRack carries. The wishbone ends have BARBS that snap in place behind the facia crosshairs. Installs in 5 seconds. Comes off in 10 seconds. Fits US and long Euro plates.

Mount the plate to the bracket, and carry in your TRUNK. When stopped for probabe cause, you say: ""OOOPS, Sorry, we just took it off for a carwash and forgot. Ill just pop it right back on.""" Your Viper is probably spotless.....you just passed the mandatory-attitude-check. Cop stays friendly, likes the Viper. No ticket. No warning. Later, back in the trunk..... until OOOPS.... "washed the car again...."

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Plate-schmate!

Just gotta know which places to avoid driving the Viper around!!
:D
You must be registered for see images

SRT 10 2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think what you want, the cop couldnt give me a ticket with no plates, and if the car never recieved the plates from the DMV since it is still new, they cant give you a no plates ticket. And they wont use the VIN # or else they would have with me

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think what you want, the cop couldnt give me a ticket with no plates, and if the car never recieved the plates from the DMV since it is still new, they cant give you a no plates ticket. And they wont use the VIN # or else they would have with me

So if the car is six months or a year or more old, you just tell the cop that DMV hasn't sent your plates yet? If I was cop and heard that load of baloney, I'd write tickets for everything I could think of. Including being too lame to think of something halfway believable. And to write you a ticket, all they need is your driver's license...and if you don't have a license with you, then you probably have bigger worries than the failure to display current plates bust.

rac156

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There's the secret guys, to avoid all future tickets just remove both front and rear plates. Somehow I'm not buying it.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coloado has a 2 plate law, but I've never been stopped. We don't have a front plate on our Suburban either, and haven't been stopped in that in the last 6 years.

I don't think that cops here really care. If I pissed somebody off, perhaps he would ticket me for not having a front plate. I don't think they care enough. The fine here is less than $50 anyway, and it's not a moving violation, so I'd just as soon not desecrate the front of my car.

DR VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's only been 1 time I got pulled over for no front plate-New Year's Day 2004 of all the times...
Driving home after having lunch with friends,major hiway,unmarked cruiser,what can I say!

Mike - in Denver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm putting my order into JonB for the removable plate.

Kai, I have never been stopped in Colorado, but I have had 3 tickets for not having a plate WHILE I WAS PARKED DOWNTOWN. Parked 3 times...3 tickets. FYI

The idea of slapping one on while parked is perfect for me.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great bracket -- Jon B at PartsRack has a great firm rubber unit (sort of scissor or clothes pin shaped) that is secure and goes on or off very easily as necessary. Bob S

yea i got one of those as well and they are great. when cruising alone on the streets of NY i put it on. then on the weekend on our get toghters i take it off. great item for $50

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got this one all the time. Cops seem to love this one since it is pretty much the only way they get you unless you are speeding. LOL!

Dimitrios:

How many miles are on your RT?