No header gaskets on OEM system?

funkykilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had a really weird conversation with a dealer. He told me that the OEM exhaust headers don't need gaskets, that the head connects to the engine metal to metal. Is this true?

OP
OP
F

funkykilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay thanks for confirming that I'm not the idiot. Thought we were working with some space aged metal engine block or something. Ridiculous. I got a set of Fel-Pro's from eBay, anyone have experience with them?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he is thinkin the viper is the same as most cars,alot of cars come factory without manifold gaskets

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I got a set of Fel-Pro's from eBay, anyone have experience with them?

First mistake: Ebay.

Second Mistake: Ebay.

Stick with MLS gaskets when available. As best I can tell, the Fel-Pro are Fiber, not MLS.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OEM MLS gaskets are the best option IMO and fairly inexpensive. Reusable as well. Fel Pros didn't hold up for me.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fel Pro makes the OEM intake manifold gasket on the Gen 3's, not sure on the exhaust side though

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay thanks for confirming that I'm not the idiot. Thought we were working with some space aged metal engine block or something. Ridiculous. I got a set of Fel-Pro's from eBay, anyone have experience with them?

The OEM waffer steel sheets is the way to go.....torque them properly once and youre done.
If you still decide to use the Fel-Pro fiber they should be re-torqued 3 times, after 50mi, 250mi,500mi.

Viperizer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor, have the folks at Cometic make you a set ...best money can buy. I bet they already have the layout.