No power in driver door. HELP!

ViperJon1996

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 1996 GTS. All the power to the driver door is out. I have pulled off door panel and panel underneath the dash and traced the wires to a plug just behind the fuse panel. I don't see anything obvious. Also, opening the door will not trigger inside lights to even come on. Any Ideas? Not cool to have to get in the passender side and reach across to the emergency driver door opener to get in my car.

OP
OP
V

ViperJon1996

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only fuse I saw was under the hood that said "DOOR" but I did inspect them all. The wires have no obvious breaks in them but there is a lot of tape wrapping them. One hint I think is the window would only work when the door was not open more than a few inches and now not at all. After seeing the pic in other similar post most likely some broken wires under the tape. I mean, what else could it be, right?

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Check the wiring in the door jam.

Pull the rubber boot to one side - most likey, some of those wires are broken.

OP
OP
V

ViperJon1996

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did that my friend. Looks like I have a weekend project. One note to everyone. It is really easy to drop the entire bottom of the dash out. About 10 or 12 screws and one bolt where the pedal adjuster is and the entire thing is in the floor. I have a feeling after looking around on here that I have some broken wires where the door has opened and closed for 16 years. Thanks you guys for your time and help. This site is awesome BTW!

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My driver's side window does the same thing: won't work if door is opened beyond a few inches. I'm sure it's just in the door-to-body harness, but I haven't found the time to chase the issue down. I fixed a non-operational door actuator on a '99 by repairing a broken wire in the same harness and it wasn't a bad job, just a little tedious. Good luck!

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brittle wires are a common problem

door_wires.JPG

bboyer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys...when you do find the break (and you will!), run another one or more wires through there for future fixes. You'll find that the ensuing wrestlin' match with the bundle may even snap one on the spot (so be careful). These are brittle. PM me if you need help locating which pin number...I've got the service manual for that year. BTW...if you get tired, drive up to Huntsville tomorrow and join some of the AL/TN gang...we're doing the St. *****'s parade and then cruising through TN a little...will meet at a restaurant that evening for some good food and a private show with a comedy magician back at the hotel...you're less than 1.5 hours from the location!

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new driver door wiring harness (ended up selling my '99 ACR before installing it). If you haven't fixed your door yet, I can get it to you for a lot less than what the dealer charges.

Nick

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My driver's side mirror won't move in or out with the switch. I found the broken wire in the harness, but I can only find the end coming from the door. I can't find the other end.:mad: Not much room in there for big hands, unfortunately. I need to just back away till I calm down. It's frustrating.

Talon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had this same problem crop up on my 99. Thank goodness I didn't go buy an actuator for nothing. Brittle wires indeed. I soldered in about 6 inches of fresh wire and boom everything is working again! Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang