No room in the sill for heat shield wrap...

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my side sills off today after having read virtually every "side sill heat" post imaginable.

Must've missed the ones that said there's NO ROOM to actually put the Roe wrap on the catalytic converter.

My cat TOUCHES the factory heat shield both above and to the sill side. Factory shield is cracked and brittle at the head of the cat, sligthly less so down stream. Fine everywhere else. In the areas it does not actually touch, it is still very tight.

Yet the issue is: no room in the places needed most.

I haven't the vaguest idea how a person could ever cram the other wrap in or around the cat. Further, the material looks like it'd wick water but that's only a guess.

Any one got the answer here? Is my 2000 GTS after some vin sequence that got 'additional' factory shield? Any help appreciated.

OP
OP
A

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Der Wizard has spoken! Chuck, is this your current best method of heat reduction? I cut vents in the front of the sills today. So I'm part way there.

I may call for that walk throgh Wizard, and appreciate the offer VERY much.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion airflow within the sill is the answer, not airflow stifling insulation. It can be had without cutting anything.

D

DAMN YANKEE

When using the Roe Wrap:

1. Be sure that your exhaust clamps are roc solid tight (no dripping of water).
2. Cut a relief around the base of each clamp so that water goes straight to the ground. All clamps should already be ariented down.
3. It WILL fit from from bend to past cats, fit it like an upside down hot dog roll (open on the bottom).

OP
OP
A

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stifling revelation. Care to elaborate, or shall we all spend Sunday in suspense? No NASCAR today, so I'll just stand by.

Good one. Agreed and I am definitely interested in the response too. Any info would help.

When using the Roe Wrap:

1. Be sure that your exhaust clamps are roc solid tight (no dripping of water).
2. Cut a relief around the base of each clamp so that water goes straight to the ground. All clamps should already be ariented down.
3. It WILL fit from from bend to past cats, fit it like an upside down hot dog roll (open on the bottom).

Thanks DY! Potentially ignorant question - When you say exhaust clamps, do you mean the WRAP clamps?

My initial issue still plagues (though I plan a call to der Wizard or your reply here) with "making room" where none exists.

Thanks to all. I feel a 'cool' solution coming!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good one. Agreed and I am definitely interested in the response too. Any info would help.

Thanks DY! Potentially ignorant question - When you say exhaust clamps, do you mean the WRAP clamps?

My initial issue still plagues (though I plan a call to der Wizard or your reply here) with "making room" where none exists.

Thanks to all. I feel a 'cool' solution coming!

Yeah, I'm not trying to be a complete **** to Ron, but don't say something like my world is rounder than your world, without showing us how.

I think D'Y is talking about these clamps, but the ones in the sills. Drip drip...

You must be registered for see images

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wrap the cat in header wrap. Use the Roe kit on the rest.

Im sorry,, I have to seriously disagree with that. That is the WORST thing you can do.. Headwrap will cause the cats to implode in, on themselves. And probably cut their life by at least 50%. I'm sure the wizard will agree.

Use the Roe wrap, if your going to use anything at all.. The Roe wrap is soft and will allow the cat the breath, unlike header wrap..

The Roe wrap DOES fit, and does work.... You just have to play around with it a bit.. And by all means. Wear long sleeve/leg clothing and gloves when you do this.. If in a garage, I would even wear a paint mask. This stuff is brutal to work with..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC