No Viper sightings in 1800 miles

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went from IL., to Denver and back (1800 miles) and I'm always on the look out for nice cars. I saw a lot of 2010 Camaros, quite a few Vettes, 1 Challenger, 0 Vipers. I did come up behind a trailer with a Dodge emblem on it that said something like: Caution approx. 450 horses inside.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That *****! In the last week on my 30 mile commute to work I've seen three Vipers, a GTR, a hand full of Challengers, and about a billion Corvettes. I usually see the Vetts and Challengers, but before this last week it had probably been 3 months since I had seen a Viper on the road.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just commenting to some guys at work. I just did a 3350 mile trip from Tampa to Omaha (and points in between) and same as you...vettes, mustangs, camaros, challenges...and one GTR in Dothan Alabama. Didn't even see many SRT products at all.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just a finished a 5700 mile trip across the country. Saw only one viper... a red GTS that looked like it was broken down on the left shoulder west of Chicago.... two weeks ago... It was east bound, I was west bound and couldn't stop..... Hope all is well now.
-J

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess that's part of the exclusivety Vipers have and their owners enjoy. Car people always stare, just like we did and still do. It "comes with the territory", and I for one wouldn't have it any other way. Ya can't get that with a Vette unless it is an "oldie but a goodie", and even then it isn't quite the same. Enjoy, we are the few, the proud, but I was in the Army.:usa:;)

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I commute 120 miles a day, and have only seen one Viper this whole summer, a yellow RT/10. That's part of what makes them so appealing to me, ANY given day I see a minimum of 3 Stingray vettes, 2 C6s and a handful of C5s and that's not cool. Hehe

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We went to Florida in January and saw two Gen 3 vipers, one black in Orlando area and another one in Daytona Beach. Definitely jealous considering our short driving season in Ohio. More recently in July went to New Jersey and was passed by a black Gen 3 vert in PA with Ohio plates and just after crossing the Delaware River into NJ saw a red with black stripes Gen 3 coupe. Agree sightings are rare but just returned this weekend from MOPAR Nationals where all Gens showed up for a fun weekend. Frankly, I was pleasantly suprised to see so may 2008 and 2009, including two ACRs.

Dustman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went from IL., to Denver and back (1800 miles) and I'm always on the look out for nice cars. I saw a lot of 2010 Camaros, quite a few Vettes, 1 Challenger, 0 Vipers. I did come up behind a trailer with a Dodge emblem on it that said something like: Caution approx. 450 horses inside.

Ditto here - just drove 1700 miles from Bama to Wisconsin and back IN the Viper :headbang: and NO Viper crossed our path, No Prowlers either but hundreds of boring Vette's - the wife said "it sure ***** driving one of those" :rolaugh:

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can go a long time without seeing one. Even my local Viper tech had not see one in a while. To me at least, that is one of the allures of the car, its rarity.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my first one 15 years ago, and it was like Martians had landed the way folks gawked at the car. I remember thinking--"this won't last once more get out there".

Then when Gen 3 was produced (which I hated at the time and now have bought 3) I thought "no one will pay any attention to Vipers now (I even bought a C6 Vette I was so discouraged with the looks of the Gen 3)

I was wrong both times.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've gone literally years without seeing one, then (recently) while driving mine would see 3-4 in a week

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are missing one important detail. Many Viper owners do not drive their cars. I know several that don't. Maybe once a month and that's it. So, in my book the people driving their cars are getting more enjoyment out of them. I know there are tons more Vettes and people tend to drive them. Does that make it wrong or those people are inferior or something? Sorry, but Vipers are not as exclusive as many of you want to believe. Go on eBay right now and just see how many unsold Vipers there are.

I leave you with one question. If there were as many or more Vipers on the road as Vettes would you still want one and/or like your's as much? If the answer is no, then it's exclusivity that you want down deep and not the car. Which means if the production numbers were switched (more Vipers than Vettes) then you would own a Vette and be saying the same thing. I'm not trying to start an argument with anyone, but I just want to give something for people to ponder. ;)

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People buy various cars for any number of reasons. I bought my 5 year old Viper rather than a new vette because of the Viper's looks,performance,and pedgree (racing history in the late 90's). In other words, it impressed me and I could care less what other people think. I knew it would be "the keeper" and never intended for it to be a daily driver, or for anyone else to drive it for that matter. I've had chances to "show" it but really am not interested. If people show interest in it I try to bend over backwards to show it to them. I have owned vettes in the past, but like alot of others, I enjoy a car you don't see everywhere. Rarity is relative. Vipers are rare enough for me. It just fits what I want in a keeper better than anything else.:2tu:

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt about it........

Every butt head and their dog has a Vette.

That's exactly why I bought my Viper.

Buying a Vette is kind of like buying a Pacer or a Vega.

Vipers inspire curiosity, mystery, wonderment, joy, desire, sex appeal, verility, strenght, intelligence, power, grace, speed, handling, art, success, wealth, kindness, knowledge, daring, bravado, excitement, macho, friendship, honor, loyalty, skill, experience.........love.

Anyone want to add a few more words? :)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have cars that are parked (440 Duster resto-mod. 500hp Stealth TT, Daytona IROC R/T, and a highly modified 84 Daytona Turbo) because I drive my favorite sc'd Viper. I drive my Black Stealth TT when the weather is bad or only doing local commute. Winter is time for AWD Stealth TT and Hemi Ram. Wife wants to buy a Boat so we're attending a Western Cda VCA meet this weekend and I'll be towing the Viper in the trailer, driving over the weekend and then parking it inside the trailer while we take the RAM to Idaho where she plans to buy her Dad's ski boat or a Kayak to bring back.

Drove to Mission and saw 1 Viper along the way to 10 Vipers at Mission Charity Car show and since it was raining I didn't see any other Vipers on my 500mi. drive home. Harrison Lake VCA weekend there was 13 Vipers in attendence. Kamloops HNIC I saw one '08 Orange vert when I was leaving Kamloops.

BUT ... this is the only time I've ever seen a Top Cat ...

You must be registered for see images

At least half of the Vipers I've seen this year are Gen 4s. Last year and including VOI X I would say that half of the Vipers I saw were Gen 2s. Driving to Detroit we were comprised of 3 trailered GTSs, 3 GTSs, one Gen 4 and one Gen 3.

Heading home we were 3 GTSs, Joe's trailered (and driven) GTS and one Gen 4.

It's always more fun to travel with other Vipers. Dodge Viper Parts Larry also travelled with us and carried some spare electronic parts - just in case. We didn't need or use any, but it's nice to know that someone had available parts aboard. Between us we drove more than 20,000 Viper miles with no breakdowns. That's a Tribute to Vipers everywhere.

Ted

AZMotorgod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the fact that you don't see Vipers everyday, I like that exclusivity.

To me my GTS would be impractical to drive everyday. It could be done but it would not be convienent. Two of the many reasons I bought my GTS is because it sticks out and it only goes out on special occasions. That is why I bought a Viper and not a Vette.

I respect Vettes and they are even practical (even the new ZR1) in many ways, which is not a bad thing. They are also fun to drive and I would take one for a daily driver. But exclusive...NOPE, even a ZR1 gets lost in the crowd.

Now if I could afford a second Viper I would have to consider an '05 SRT 10 Copperhead or Snake Skin Green vert. Then I would be very tempted to drive it daily.:drive:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My above post word is RELIABLE.

I'd also like to add, gas sipper as I get 19.7 mpg/us and the other 5 Vipers got 19.9 - 22mpg average during our cross-continent trip. We usually drove at 85mph most of the way (just keeping up with traffic) and even at 100mph the gas mileage was the same. I often wonder what gas mileage a Honda gets at 100mph? ... Towing a trailer?

Comfortable and extremely smooth driving. I'd like to write luxurious, but I added the Bluetooth, Sat. radio and upgraded speakers myself so they only count for MY Viper.

Safe could be added as I've lived through a head-on collision (me at 60mph) in my Red Viper GTS.

Ted

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken

I am headed out to Utah for the national park tour and to do some Jeep and Rhino offroading... How was your trip... Not to hijack the thread but the rare nature of the Viper is one of it's most appealing features second only to it's awesome looks and snotty attitude... Can't wait for the right one to come along...

I also drove 1,800 miles last week...Denver to 4 National Parks in Utah with 0 viper sightings :dunno:.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went from IL., to Denver and back (1800 miles) and I'm always on the look out for nice cars. I saw a lot of 2010 Camaros, quite a few Vettes, 1 Challenger, 0 Vipers.

I have that one beat. On my last coast-to-coast bicycle ride in 2007 I did not see a single Viper from the Pacific to the Atlantic ocean. I was on the road for 17 days, approximately 3,000 miles, and not one Viper anywhere. Plently of Chevys, one orange Lotus Elise near Globe, AZ but not a single Viper. :dunno:

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Feb, I drove from Orlando to San Diego and back in two weeks (5,000 miles) and didn't see a single Viper.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some guys that work with me have expressed interest int he Viper. They tell me how much better deal a Vette is - I agree with them. Then when we travel to job sites and average a Vette sighting every 3-5 miles and the only Vipers they have seen on the road are mine....I think they are starting to get it. I went 15 miles the other day with my wife and counted 6 Vettes in opposing traffic.

Yep - might as well buy a minivan and assimilate into the collective.

I'll keep my Viper and enjoy the exclusivity and folks following me off the hwy into gas stations to ask "what is that". Being a part of this cult is very cool with me!

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RT 35 westchester NY I see a bunch to and from Tators Garage . Less than 10 miles
5,280 feet, or 1,760 yards from my house. :2tu:

:usa: Tator's Rocks!!! and so does my 96 B/W

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did 2,612 miles from Victoria to Denver, CO area and was there for a week last month without seeing one Viper on the road.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a Vette you don't see everyday... and it was a 6 speed. Nice crowd around it at the car show. Very different looking.

[/url][/IMG]

It looked completely different from all the other Vettes at the show. I kinda liked it... :drive:

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, but Vipers are not as exclusive as many of you want to believe. Go on eBay right now and just see how many unsold Vipers there are.

I leave you with one question. If there were as many or more Vipers on the road as Vettes would you still want one and/or like your's as much? If the answer is no, then it's exclusivity that you want down deep and not the car. Which means if the production numbers were switched (more Vipers than Vettes) then you would own a Vette and be saying the same thing. I'm not trying to start an argument with anyone, but I just want to give something for people to ponder. ;)

Hmmm...
Well, I dig the car because it is what it is (a Simple Brute with BIG Wheels, Tons of power, and not much else) and that has ALOT to do with its exclusivity. I was originally in the market for an A/C Cobra, but decided on a Viper instead. Same kind of car. Not for most people. A Corvette is made for EVERYONE, and thats why you see just as many old ladies driving them as anyone else.

You see a Cobra or a Viper cruising down the road, it gets your attention. You see a Vette, just blink and there'll be three more behind it, two in the same color.
:usa:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm...

You see a Cobra or a Viper cruising down the road, it gets your attention. You see a Vette, just blink and there'll be three more behind it, two in the same color.

Look at the picture above your post. See many like Vettes that look like that??? First one I have seen. By the way, I saw a grey-haried lady driving a red gen 4 Viper convertible the other day... I had to do a double take, but she was in her 60's at least. The new ones are getting easier to drive-kinda like a Vette. :)

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm...

Final comment... can't resist. There are a lot of hot looking girls out there (even more than Vettes) and it doesn't keep me from admiring them... The more the better I say!!! :D

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two weeks ago drove from NY to Key West...and back
Stopped in DC for two nights, then Savannah, then Delray Beach for 5 nights, then Duck Key...then back
Saw one Viper in Two weeks, red coupe ,08, silver stripes in Delaware, on the way home..Over 3400 miles total...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang