No Viper sightings in 1800 miles

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two weeks ago drove from NY to Key West...and back
Stopped in DC for two nights, then Savannah, then Delray Beach for 5 nights, then Duck Key...then back
Saw one Viper in Two weeks, red coupe ,08, silver stripes in Delaware, on the way home..Over 3400 miles total...

Just think how much fun it would have been had you been able to view more Vipers! What if there had only been one ******* the beaches? What a drag. :( Men (and women) drive your Vipers so we can see them!!! :drive::usa::2tu:

usaf0016

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While driving in downtown portland a couple weeks ago, I saw for the first time in MONTHS a viper. It was a great sighting. 1996 b/w with "official pace car" or something like that written on the side in orange. It was amazing.....

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While driving in downtown portland a couple weeks ago, I saw for the first time in MONTHS a viper. It was a great sighting. 1996 b/w with "official pace car" or something like that written on the side in orange. It was amazing.....

In Portland- It just might have been JonB's!
PBR

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Look at the picture above your post. See many like Vettes that look like that??? First one I have seen. By the way, I saw a grey-haried lady driving a red gen 4 Viper convertible the other day... I had to do a double take, but she was in her 60's at least. The new ones are getting easier to drive-kinda like a Vette. :)

As far as the blackonblack Vette goes, they're a dime a dozen, see 'em ALL Tha Time:blah: Its a popular look, just like big rims on an SUV.

I make my living on the road, 10-12 hours a day. I'll average 1 Viper sighting every 6 mos. See a Hundred Corvettes a day.

The reason, IMHO, is that a Viper is a PURE Sports/Muscle Car. No BS. Form follows function, and its function is "FAST".

The Vette is the sport/tourer equivalent of the VW Bug.

Dont get me wrong, Itsa great looking/handling car, outstanding bang-4-buck. I just see more gray hair in those cars...and that says something.
:usa:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the blackonblack Vette goes, they're a dime a dozen, see 'em ALL Tha Time:blah: Its a popular look, just like big rims on an SUV.

I make my living on the road, 10-12 hours a day. I'll average 1 Viper sighting every 6 mos. See a Hundred Corvettes a day.

The reason, IMHO, is that a Viper is a PURE Sports/Muscle Car. No BS. Form follows function, and its function is "FAST".

The Vette is the sport/tourer equivalent of the VW Bug.

Dont get me wrong, Itsa great looking/handling car, outstanding bang-4-buck. I just see more gray hair in those cars...and that says something.
:usa:

That was our (my wife's and my) Vette in the picture. The production numbers on a 6-speed black convertible Vette in 2005 was only 531 cars. I don't know, but that is probably lower production numbers than a red convertible Viper in some years??? Anyway, that is hardly a "dime a dozen", and saying it is an equivalent to a VW Bug is just pure silliness. I've had 2 Vipers and will soon have another, but I respect the Vette. :D

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Look at the picture above your post. See many like Vettes that look like that??? First one I have seen. By the way, I saw a grey-haried lady driving a red gen 4 Viper convertible the other day... I had to do a double take, but she was in her 60's at least. The new ones are getting easier to drive-kinda like a Vette. :)

Ask Bill Pemberton (at Woodhouse) about older women and he'll tell you of a few Grannies that'll make the "Little old lady from Pasadena" seem retired and not very capable.

Probably a few Grannies even have Gen1s. Ask Bill about the one with a few Vipers.

Little old ladies don't have any problems driving Old Vipers or new.

Ted

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask Bill Pemberton (at Woodhouse) about older women and he'll tell you of a few Grannies that'll make the "Little old lady from Pasadena" seem retired and not very capable.

Probably a few Grannies even have Gen1s. Ask Bill about the one with a few Vipers.

Little old ladies don't have any problems driving Old Vipers or new.

Ted

Great story Ted. I knew it was a Granny driving that Viper. Go, baby, go!!! :)

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are missing one important detail. Many Viper owners do not drive their cars. I know several that don't. Maybe once a month and that's it. So, in my book the people driving their cars are getting more enjoyment out of them. I know there are tons more Vettes and people tend to drive them. Does that make it wrong or those people are inferior or something? Sorry, but Vipers are not as exclusive as many of you want to believe. Go on eBay right now and just see how many unsold Vipers there are.

I leave you with one question. If there were as many or more Vipers on the road as Vettes would you still want one and/or like your's as much? If the answer is no, then it's exclusivity that you want down deep and not the car. Which means if the production numbers were switched (more Vipers than Vettes) then you would own a Vette and be saying the same thing. I'm not trying to start an argument with anyone, but I just want to give something for people to ponder. ;)

Okay Mr Dog...I tried to stay away, but you've got to be kidding me...as JonB likes to state, they produce more vettes in 9 months than the total number of vipers ever produced. It's fine that you respect/love/whatever vettes, but you are on the wrong forum to think that we (viper owners) love our vipers simply because the production numbers are low. The curves on my GEN II are not matched or can even be compared to any freakin' vette...not even close. The GEN I and II vipers are ****, powerful and eye popping, not just because they have low production, but because they are ****, powerful and eye popping.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay Mr Dog...I tried to stay away, but you've got to be kidding me...as JonB likes to state, they produce more vettes in 9 months than the total number of vipers ever produced. It's fine that you respect/love/whatever vettes, but you are on the wrong forum to think that we (viper owners) love our vipers simply because the production numbers are low. The curves on my GEN II are not matched or can even be compared to any freakin' vette...not even close. The GEN I and II vipers are ****, powerful and eye popping, not just because they have low production, but because they are ****, powerful and eye popping.

I like them because of those things too--make no mistake about it. But the original thread was about how few you see and that was what I was responding to. Had the thread said "I like the Viper cause it is ... (all the things you said)" I would agree 100%. You misread the discussion and took me out of context. I am used to that being a teacher as many of my students only hear what they want. Don't stay away.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Near Peoria, Ill. George? Near where I bought my 98 GTS from doc.

Search Tere as I don't think she runs Grey hair, but she bought an 06 coupe and is a granny. She's moved up from her modified Z cars.

Ted

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like them because of those things too--make no mistake about it. But the original thread was about how few you see and that was what I was responding to. Had the thread said "I like the Viper cause it is ... (all the things you said)" I would agree 100%. You misread the discussion and took me out of context. I am used to that being a teacher as many of my students only hear what they want. Don't stay away.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't 'take you out of context'. You stated that 'Many viper owners do not drive their cars.' I'm pretty sure that we already know that some viper owners don't drive their cars. My opinion is that using 'many' is an overstatement. I will agree that I don't understand your comment that 'vipers are not as exclusive as many of you want to believe'. Owning a viper is exclusive to individuals that own vipers...seems pretty exclusive to me...but again you're the teacher...I may just not be intelligent enough to understand.

I felt that this thread was noting that we just don't see many vipers on the road...then you stated that they weren't exclusive and that if the production numbers between vipers and vettes were switched, then we viper owners would purchase vettes. My post stated that I don't agree. I'm a viper owner because I love the curves of the GEN I's and II's. How did I get your posts out of context?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Ken,

Sorry but I'm also going to have to agree with GeorgeTheDog and reaffirm his "many" comment that "many" Viper owners don't drive their Vipers. Me, I drive mine whenever, wherever I can, and like to drive it like I stole it.

I just met up with a new Viper owner at the Zone Rendezvous and we were talking about the Niagra Cruise that the Illinois club is putting together. Even though he is located in the middle of the cruise and would put on significantly less miles than the Illinois members, he wants to buy a trailer so that he can trailer his Viper and not put the miles on his Viper. Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the point of a cruise to enjoy the experience of driving in your Viper? The sights, the sounds, the jawdrops, the thumbs up, the WOW of actually driving the coolest car on the planet? .... What fun is it towing a Viper in an enclosed trailer? To each his own, but until someone guarantees that I can drive my Viper in heaven, I'm going use it while i can.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't 'take you out of context'. You stated that 'Many viper owners do not drive their cars.' I'm pretty sure that we already know that some viper owners don't drive their cars. My opinion is that using 'many' is an overstatement. I will agree that I don't understand your comment that 'vipers are not as exclusive as many of you want to believe'. Owning a viper is exclusive to individuals that own vipers...seems pretty exclusive to me...but again you're the teacher...I may just not be intelligent enough to understand.

I felt that this thread was noting that we just don't see many vipers on the road...then you stated that they weren't exclusive and that if the production numbers between vipers and vettes were switched, then we viper owners would purchase vettes. My post stated that I don't agree. I'm a viper owner because I love the curves of the GEN I's and II's. How did I get your posts out of context?

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken, no big deal. Just having some fun and making people think about things a bit differently. That's what I do. That's the way I am put together.

To restate, I am of the opinion that if production numbers were switched there would be some Viper people that would own Vettes instead... I don't have any empirical data to prove it, but first it is human nature for some to want exclusivity, and secondly, the way some Viper owners enjoy the fact that they are somewhat scarce on the roadway gives me some data to draw a simple conclusion that it could be the case for some people. I just wanted to see if anyone would step up and admit it. Nobody did and that's ok too. No big deal... Just a simple question to ponder.

By the way, I love the curves on the Viper too. Remember, I have had two of them and I plan on having another again sometime. Have fun with yours and drive it so the world can see it and enjoy it with you!!! :drive: Have a great day. :)

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To restate, I am of the opinion that if production numbers were switched there would be some Viper people that would own Vettes instead... I don't have any empirical data to prove it, but first it is human nature for some to want exclusivity, and secondly, the way some Viper owners enjoy the fact that they are somewhat scarce on the roadway gives me some data to draw a simple conclusion that it could be the case for some people. I just wanted to see if anyone would step up and admit it.

I respect your opinion Dog, but the exclusivity of the Viper is due in a large part to its very nature. Most people wouldnt own it. Most people wouldnt touch a Cobra. These cars do not pamper the occupants. They're made to drive fast, and do it well, a pure driver's car.
I do like the exclusivity, thats a fact. But I bought the car because I Love the car. Its a Sledge Hammer in a world of nail guns
:headbang:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....Most people wouldnt own it. Most people wouldnt touch a Cobra. These cars do not pamper the occupants. They're made to drive fast, and do it well, a pure driver's car.
... Its a Sledge Hammer in a world of nail guns
:headbang:

good points, but i do like my

You must be registered for see images attach

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:drive: Two months back,,,,went from Arizona to Missouri, then west to Wyoming, and back to Arizona. Not one Viper seen in over 4000 miles.

That's a good thing, seen hundreds of 'Vettes

If it was as common as a Chev Malibu, I wouldn't have bought one

OP
OP
J

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drive: Two months back,,,,went from Arizona to Missouri, then west to Wyoming, and back to Arizona. Not one Viper seen in over 4000 miles.

I agree, now I know what others think when they see mine out and about.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,

Sorry but I'm also going to have to agree with GeorgeTheDog and reaffirm his "many" comment that "many" Viper owners don't drive their Vipers. Me, I drive mine whenever, wherever I can, and like to drive it like I stole it.

I just met up with a new Viper owner at the Zone Rendezvous and we were talking about the Niagra Cruise that the Illinois club is putting together. Even though he is located in the middle of the cruise and would put on significantly less miles than the Illinois members, he wants to buy a trailer so that he can trailer his Viper and not put the miles on his Viper. Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the point of a cruise to enjoy the experience of driving in your Viper? The sights, the sounds, the jawdrops, the thumbs up, the WOW of actually driving the coolest car on the planet? .... What fun is it towing a Viper in an enclosed trailer? To each his own, but until someone guarantees that I can drive my Viper in heaven, I'm going use it while i can.

I get what you're saying, but my opinion (and it's just that since I really haven't spoken with a lot of viper owners about this) is that very long trips are impractical in the viper. My trunk wouldn't hold 20% of what my wife and I would want to bring for a week long trip. I'm sure that there are viper owners out there that trailer their viper to hold the miles down, but I would want to trailer mine so that I would have it at the event to drive and would also be able to bring my stuff/junk. Before this thread gets any further off line...I've read tons of posts about how far viper owners have driven for events and vacations...that's great...for you...not so much for me. I'll admit that I like to be comfortable when I'm travelling...just a girly man I suppose ;).

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Vipers are all in the garage... (LOL) They made 25,000 of them so they have to be somewhere??? :dunno:

Common as the Malibu? 2008 Malibu production/sales = 178,253 2008 Vette = 35,310

That's 19.9% of the Malibu, so it is not as common...

Last edited:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way Ken... I love your yellow Viper. Almost bought one the other day. It had 12K miles and was in great shape. That's the Viper I want for my next one. Great looking car. :2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but my opinion (and it's just that since I really haven't spoken with a lot of viper owners about this) is that very long trips are impractical in the viper. My trunk wouldn't hold 20% of what my wife and I would want to bring for a week long trip. I'm sure that there are viper owners out there that trailer their viper to hold the miles down, but I would want to trailer mine so that I would have it at the event to drive and would also be able to bring my stuff/junk. Before this thread gets any further off line...I've read tons of posts about how far viper owners have driven for events and vacations...that's great...for you...not so much for me. I'll admit that I like to be comfortable when I'm travelling...just a girly man I suppose ;).

THAT'S one of the only reasons I would own a GTS - 12cf of cargo space! The wife always fills the hatchback on our way home. We take 2 suitcases, a shoe bag (size of large gym bag), camera bags, purses, supercharger w/m tank, spare tire w jack and kit, computers, jackets etc. for two weeks worth.

GEORGE - you mean 35,000 vettes per year ...

Ted

carmined

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The last 2 weeks I went from RI to Florida and back, 2600 miles, didn't see one. Then today, I saw a new ACR on the highway, registered to RI, that is rare, not many vipers here.

Last edited:

carmined

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was our (my wife's and my) Vette in the picture. The production numbers on a 6-speed black convertible Vette in 2005 was only 531 cars. I don't know, but that is probably lower production numbers than a red convertible Viper in some years??? Anyway, that is hardly a "dime a dozen", and saying it is an equivalent to a VW Bug is just pure silliness. I've had 2 Vipers and will soon have another, but I respect the Vette. :D

I have an 06 Viper and 07 Vette. I love the Viper because it is a great looking, powerful brute. The vette is no slouch, rides much nicer. The Vette is like driving a luxury car and the Viper is the animal with the attitude. Love it.

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live in the Quad City area and have never seen a Viper. When my wife and I went to pick it up we saw a black one going on the off ramp as we pulled on. Then on a ride along the Mississippi in Moline, Il. we saw a light blue one. The next week we saw a red one.

So, I'm thinking that there are at least four in this area.

OP
OP
J

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in the Quad City area and have never seen a Viper. When my wife and I went to pick it up we saw a black one going on the off ramp as we pulled on. Then on a ride along the Mississippi in Moline, Il. we saw a light blue one. The next week we saw a red one.

So, I'm thinking that there are at least four in this area.
I'm in the QC area (19 mi. east) and haven't seen any on the road. At the Northpark cruise in I saw a blue/white GTS and a red RT/10 with a street serpent kit. What color are you driving and I'll keep an eye out for ya? coupe or vert?

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This past Saturday August 15, 2009 (while heading North on I-75 by Lake, FL) I saw a very cool combination.

A yellow and black Viper truck pulling a yellow and black Viper. What a jaw dropping look. Two bumbblees :D Makes me want to go out and find a red/silver truck. Absolutely stunning:headbang:

Anyway, I expecting this will be my only Viper sighting as I make my way back home to Ohio this week after a much needed but to short vacation. :crazy2:

Currently, I am in Ellijay, GA. For a brief stay in the mountains......

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just made the 1100MI drive from WI to the Florida panhandle and didn't really see anything cool. A Maseratti, Bentley and Elise on thy way down, no Vipers. Ill be keeping my eyes open on the way back tho!

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each his own, but until someone guarantees that I can drive my Viper in heaven, I'm going use it while i can.

Amen! This is exactly why I'm driving mine to Washington and not trailering or shipping it. That will be the second trip in as many weeks; the first time I saw countless Corvettes, Challengers, new Camaros, an Elise, and a Gallardo, but no Vipers.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This past Saturday August 15, 2009 (while heading North on I-75 by Lake, FL) I saw a very cool combination.

A yellow and black Viper truck pulling a yellow and black Viper. What a jaw dropping look. Two bumbblees :D Makes me want to go out and find a red/silver truck. Absolutely stunning:headbang:

Anyway, I expecting this will be my only Viper sighting as I make my way back home to Ohio this week after a much needed but to short vacation. :crazy2:

Currently, I am in Ellijay, GA. For a brief stay in the mountains......

Paul Norman of Washington VCA has both a Bumblebee SRT10 truck and a Yellow/Black 05 SRT10 vert.

Just got back from Kelowna VCA event. 25 Vipers and a Z06 showed up for the weekend.

Upon getting home I understand Cliff's kid took Daddies SRT10 our for a drive and nearly killed his girlfriend and himself. He did kill the Viper though. Only 1 other Viper living in Williams Lake now.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte